Author Topic: WS-1000 Wind Direction Sensor Lost  (Read 1366 times)

Offline ThereIsNoCalmOnlyStorm

WS-1000 Wind Direction Sensor Lost
« on: September 26, 2017, 12:35:54 PM »
Last year when an 80+ mph gust knocked over my WS1000 I took it apart to repair. Well, in the process I lost the plastic housing for the mainboard and the circular circuit board that contained 2 Hall effect sensors for wind direction.

I need to build a new board to replace the old one but I'm not sure of the specs for the sensors. Does anyone happen to have a close up picture of the sensors so that I can match the specs when I order some new ones? If not, is there a way to calibrate the device for slightly different sensors?

I mean, I can imagine how it works in principle but I don't know how they're wired together and what output voltage ratio the mainboard is expecting vs direction.

Also, does anyone know the capacitance/humidity of the RH sensor?

Thanks!

Offline railrode1

Re: WS-1000 Wind Direction Sensor Lost
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 02:47:57 PM »
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ] I just replaced the hall effect sensors in my 1001. 49E are the ones to get. Here's a diagram looking as the board were attached.
Davis Vantage Pro2 + Wireless

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 03:27:39 PM »
Also, does anyone know the capacitance/humidity of the RH sensor?
Can you post a picture of the sensor?
Davis VP2 6163 | WiFi Logger
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline railrode1

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 09:21:23 PM »
It is HR202L Humidity sensor on Ebay. I got a 5 pack for $1.36 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
The old one will be in a plastic shield. The shield opens like a book and will be reusable. Also on the Hall Effect sensors, look mainly for 49E. I had some Arduino sensors I robbed them from.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 09:25:22 PM by railrode1 »
Davis Vantage Pro2 + Wireless

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2017, 06:01:14 AM »
@railrode1
It is HR202L Humidity sensor

When my sensor failed the beginning of the year, that is exactly what I found after checking spec sheets. When I emailed Ambient to confirm the part number, they sent me two replacements free of charge even thought my unit was out of warranty.  So, I did not pursue it any further.
Thanks for confirming what I found.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 06:00:27 PM by dupreezd »
Davis VP2 6163 | WiFi Logger
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline Transporterman

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2017, 02:12:22 PM »
Kudos to Ambient.  I really appreciate a firm that will send parts to fix a problem if you demonstrate competence.  I have had success a couple of times with other things.

Offline ThereIsNoCalmOnlyStorm

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2017, 10:33:14 AM »
Thanks so much to everyone for the very helpful replies! I've been trying to get this info for a year now.

I have been wondering if it might be possible to replace the humidity sensor with a more accurate/precise model. Only problem is it would probably have a different capacitance/humidity ratio. I could've sworn there was a way to calibrate the sensors within the receiver but whether or not it's good enough to adjust for degree of linearity I don't know. If the code was open-source it might be possible to modify it...

So many questions, so little time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk