Author Topic: Rainwise now offers fars with precision ASPRH/TP sensor  (Read 5704 times)

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
Rainwise now offers fars with precision ASPRH/TP sensor
« on: July 31, 2017, 01:21:50 PM »
I've noticed they added a few options since I last visited site.
Would be nice to know more about how precision sensors fit together with solar powered fan etc. and compatibility. Total cost and other goodies.

http://rainwise.com/products/attachments/6751/20060215113108.pdf
Randy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: Rainwise now offers fars with precision ASPRH/TP sensor
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 02:48:58 PM »
Not saying it won't work fine, just kinda looks like it came from my toilet tank. :eek:

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 02:57:10 PM »
Not saying it won't work fine, just kinda looks like it came from my toilet tank. :eek:

:lol:
I've seen similar home made units. I noticed specs -40C are same as Sensirion also.
Randy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 04:59:44 PM »
Notice the 11 cfm fan spec..
Is that around the same as a stock VP2 motor? Owners manual says 190 ft/min, I have no idea how to convert that, but I'll bet you do. ;)

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 05:30:16 PM »
Need the internal volumes of both to even venture a WAG "guess."
Yeah, kinda figured that. No biggie. ;)

Offline Bashy

• brecklandweather.com/meteo
  • Forecaster
  • brecklandweather.com/index.php
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 01:26:45 AM »
Is that a piece of guttering down pipe?  :shock:
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 10:50:04 AM »
 I've seen others with similar design. 
Randy

Offline Bashy

• Forecaster
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2017, 01:48:57 AM »
and they turn fancy...
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline Bashy

• Forecaster
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2017, 01:50:56 AM »
And theres mine, based on the Apogee shield, although, quite clearly not asgood as mine ;)
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline Michaelpt

• Weather-Above.com
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2017, 07:40:29 PM »
And theres mine, based on the Apogee shield, although, quite clearly not asgood as mine ;)

The one I made is working very well  based on information from many websites
And very easy to make, you can add different bottom air direction feeds

Soon Will update website with air direction feeds

http://www.weather-above.com/solarrdscreen2.html

Mick
weather-above weather station consists of a  1 wire system ,sky ir cloud temperature ,UV,solar home made modules , live data seismic instrument there is  lot of information on modified sensors,  and 1wire projects pleased  sign my guestbook

Mmichael Parry-Thomas
http://www.weather-above.com/wxgraphic/wxgraphic.php

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2017, 08:21:30 PM »

The one I made is working very well  based on information from many websites
And very easy to make, you can add different bottom air direction feeds

Soon Will update website with air direction feeds

http://www.weather-above.com/solarrdscreen2.html

Mick

Looks nice, but copying design would be another story at least for me. Good job  =D>
If in market for shield I'd give it a try, maybe. 

I'm curious about the fan used however and the concern of failure. I've never had the Cooltron or current Mechatronics square 80mm 24cfm AC fans fail. Ever running 24/7 for several years. I'll change the fan out after 4 years or so just in case however.
These are heavy duty 60-80,000 hr. ball bearing fans however and can withstand -40c temperatures. Coolton no longer makes the HD fan for low temperatures so switched to Mechatronics.

I like the 1/2 voltage to slow fan to minimum speed needed, good idea. I've ordered an AC fan speed controller $12 to do just that with the Davis 24 hr shield. I think the sweet spot for Davis design is just above the solar powered speed but below the 24CFM ao wanted to slow fan just a bit plus extend life.
Randy

Offline Bashy

• Forecaster
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2017, 01:09:57 AM »
but copying design would be another story at least for me
How so?

As for fan, it does not matter to me, as long as it runs on 12v, spins, sucks and blows, shes all good ;)
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2017, 08:12:50 AM »
How so?

As for fan, it does not matter to me, as long as it runs on 12v, spins, sucks and blows, shes all good ;)

Because I read through what was in print. I'm not going to expound on it but will say this, any fan I use needs to be robust with -40C rating so primary focus would be finding the correct fan.
The last thing I'm interested in is a fan needing some warning indication of failure. If it won't run reliable without worry it's just not for me. 
Randy

Offline Michaelpt

• Weather-Above.com
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2017, 05:57:54 PM »
How so?

Because I read through what was in print. I'm not going to expound on it but will say this, any fan I use needs to be robust with -40C rating so primary focus would be finding the correct fan.
The last thing I'm interested in is a fan needing some warning indication of failure. If it won't run reliable without worry it's just not for me.

Hi

Thank you for the info about the fan much appreciated I've actually ordered a similar type of fan  the one you Have mentioned
I think you're right about the fan warning failure, but as I'm a electronic hobbyist I tend to fiddle with things and experiment and this was one of them

I've really enjoyed inspiring other people to have a go at making or modifying improving something on the weather station there is so much you can learn by looking at different designs,  Some time ago it was suggested about a bug filter screen at the bottom of the aspirated screen air inlet

It was just lucky that the screen I made allows me to put on different air inlet fittings just another posh name for 90° angle round to square fittings used in downspout guttering connections  I've used a 90° shoe angle and I have my filter sitting inside which is perfect for me and my setup

I've always wanted to have a go at 3D printing so I may try and recreate the fan housing and the top housing  using this method and hopefully create a file that other people can use using this amazing new technology now where do I start back to research lol

I really like the way Rainwise Have used minimal materials but you'll probably find that it is very efficient, again it depends on situations mounting There are so many types solar aspirated radiation screen It is really interesting to see how they work

Thanks for your suggestions and pointers
Mick

I use speech technology sorry for any wrong pronounce words and lack of punctuation
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 06:02:35 PM by Michaelpt »
weather-above weather station consists of a  1 wire system ,sky ir cloud temperature ,UV,solar home made modules , live data seismic instrument there is  lot of information on modified sensors,  and 1wire projects pleased  sign my guestbook

Mmichael Parry-Thomas
http://www.weather-above.com/wxgraphic/wxgraphic.php

Offline Bashy

• Forecaster
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2017, 12:41:10 AM »
HI Mick, my filter is something very simples, the debris screen from the OS bucket, because i have a fan at the bottom
i needed something, the screen fits in place by sliding it under the 2 screws that are holding the fan in place, so
ingenious yet so very simples lol I have to remove it and blow it out 2 or 3 times a year, theres some poplar trees
somewhere close by an it acquires some of the cotton type stuff off them.

Its you that has inspired me to have a go at a few bits and bobs, you come up with an idea and i go ahead and bodge it
together, a lot of mishmash from me lol

Perhaps, but seen as my shield is 13ft up my mast, some sort of indication that the fan is actually spinning is a must, regardless
of using a fan that has a lifetime guarantee or when from our local maplin, i would still want to know if said fan is still turning, if
you are able to walk up to your shield and its at the official height then you do not need any indication that the fan is moving
you can feel or hear that it is, as for me, i would need to get the ladders out or drop the mast to find out.
As it stands right now, all i have to do is look out of my kitchen window ti know that the fan is still working :)
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline gvmelbrty

• Sandia Knolls, NM Weather
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2017, 10:30:22 AM »
I like the 1/2 voltage to slow fan to minimum speed needed, good idea. I've ordered an AC fan speed controller $12 to do just that with the Davis 24 hr shield. I think the sweet spot for Davis design is just above the solar powered speed but below the 24CFM ao wanted to slow fan just a bit plus extend life.

Let me know how that Coolerguys fan speed controller works.. I tried a speed controller from Harbor Freight, but it caused an annoying hum in the fan and speed adjustment was very erratic.

Also, Mechatronics makes a slower-speed version (UF80B12-BTL) of the fan you're currently using that's rated at 18 CFM. I've contacted Coolerguys and asked if they will consider carrying it. (It can be purchased here, but ends up at $35 w/ shipping.)

Another option is to go with a 12VDC fan like this one that's rated at 20 CFM, but instead power it with 9v, which, theoretically, takes it down to 15 CFM. (But, operating temp is -20C (-4F), not the -40C (-40F) of the Mechatronics AC fan.)

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2017, 10:36:01 AM »

Let me know how that Coolerguys fan speed controller works.. I tried a speed controller from Harbor Freight, but it caused an annoying hum in the fan and speed adjustment was very erratic.

Also, Mechatronics makes a slower-speed version (UF80B12-BTL) of the fan you're currently using that's rated at 18 CFM. I've contacted Coolerguys and asked if they will consider carrying it. (It can be purchased here, but ends up at $35 w/ shipping.)

Another option is to go with a 12VDC fan like this one that's rated at 20 CFM, but instead power it with 9v, which, theoretically, takes it down to 15 CFM. (But, operating temp is -20C (-4F), not the -40C (-40F) of the Mechatronics AC fan.)

Nice thanks.
Randy

Offline gvmelbrty

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2017, 04:09:40 AM »
FYI: Coolerguys responded to my request and now carries the lower-speed version of the Mechatronics fan, UF80B12-BTL ($15.95, 18 CFM, 2400 rpm, -40C-70C operating temp).
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 04:13:03 AM by gvmelbrty »

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2017, 08:24:24 AM »
FYI: Coolerguys responded to my request and now carries the lower-speed version of the Mechatronics fan, UF80B12-BTL ($15.95, 18 CFM, 2400 rpm, -40C-70C operating temp).

Awesome I tried to order the fan controller and another mechatronics from them couple weeks ago and order didn't ship for 14 days so sent a request asking status with order and never did get response so cancelled finally.

Not sure what was going on, never had issues before.
Randy

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2017, 05:52:52 PM »

What, if any, difference would a 6 cfm difference mean to the temp in a 24 hr FARS? I'm guessing very little? Cause I have the 24 cfm model.
Davis Wireless VP2 SHT31 24hr 24CFM FARS

Offline gvmelbrty

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2017, 06:02:47 PM »

What, if any, difference would a 6 cfm difference mean to the temp in a 24 hr FARS? I'm guessing very little? Cause I have the 24 cfm model.

You're right, probably very little to none and certainly no reason to trade if you already have one. But, in my case, I was buying new and wanted the lower speed version.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2017, 06:09:14 PM »
Mines 67CFM 24/7. I think you guys worry too much. :roll:

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2017, 10:09:11 PM »
Whatever you do, it will be cheaper than the Rainwise model.   About $1400 and not compatible with the consumer model Mark III weather station.

anything