Author Topic: Oregon Scientific RGR126N  (Read 3469 times)

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
Oregon Scientific RGR126N
« on: January 13, 2016, 12:43:05 PM »
Just got one for late Christmas.
Any body used it before?
Opinions?

TIA! :D

----
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus +FARS|Meteobridge Nano SD|Meteohub|Meteobridge MR-3020|WU KTXSPRIN75/PWS JRARGWX75/CWOP EW2972/WBB TXWDVUE75/Blitzortung ID: 1142|AWEKAS: 12095
Donations are welcome: https://paypal.me/ffuentesb

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
Re: Oregon Scientific RGR126N
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 06:09:39 PM »
BumP :D

----
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus +FARS|Meteobridge Nano SD|Meteohub|Meteobridge MR-3020|WU KTXSPRIN75/PWS JRARGWX75/CWOP EW2972/WBB TXWDVUE75/Blitzortung ID: 1142|AWEKAS: 12095

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 06:52:17 PM »
Any body used it before?
Opinions?

OK, you want an opinion? Regift for someone next year. ;)

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 07:34:32 PM »
Any body used it before?
Opinions?

lol
Thanks for your honest opinion.
You used it?

----

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2016, 08:44:16 PM »
Any body used it before?
Opinions?

lol
Thanks for your honest opinion.
You used it?
No. Soon as I saw that it only measures rain in 0.04" increments, (seriously?) I know it's not what most members here would even think of entertaining. However, 99.9999% of the population aren't us, so give it to someone maybe coming up in the world of PWS's. (younger relative, school maybe)?

Offline aweatherguy

• Senior Contributor
    • Weather Station Data Logger
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 06:21:24 PM »
The rain gauge itself looks to be a PCR800 -- the same gauge provided with most of the current OS offerings. The bucket tip amount is 1mm (about 0.04 inch). It requires the addition of a an 8-inch diameter funnel on top (increasing the collection area) to yield a 0.01 inch tip amount.

The gauge itself is actually pretty decent and I used one for years with the funnel modification. I regularly compared it to a Stratus manual gauge and they typically agreed within 1% plus 1 tip (or better) over a wide range of rainfall rates. I've since moved on to a different setup but have no real complaints about the PCR800 performance with funnel mod. (There are a few examples of that mod on this forum)

If you want a 0.01 inch tip amount and don't want to do the modification then re-gifting is a good option.

If you're okay with the 1mm tip amount or like little projects (the funnel mod) then keep it and enjoy. If you keep it you could also consider getting a Stratus gauge (around $30-35US) for comparison to check the accuracy.

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2016, 12:41:17 AM »
The rain gauge itself looks to be a PCR800 -- the same gauge provided with most of the current OS offerings. The bucket tip amount is 1mm (about 0.04 inch). It requires the addition of a an 8-inch diameter funnel on top (increasing the collection area) to yield a 0.01 inch tip amount.

The gauge itself is actually pretty decent and I used one for years with the funnel modification. I regularly compared it to a Stratus manual gauge and they typically agreed within 1% plus 1 tip (or better) over a wide range of rainfall rates. I've since moved on to a different setup but have no real complaints about the PCR800 performance with funnel mod. (There are a few examples of that mod on this forum)

If you want a 0.01 inch tip amount and don't want to do the modification then re-gifting is a good option.

If you're okay with the 1mm tip amount or like little projects (the funnel mod) then keep it and enjoy. If you keep it you could also consider getting a Stratus gauge (around $30-35US) for comparison to check the accuracy.

Thank you all for the feedback. I am one of those guys who does not like to re-gift  something that was a gift :)
I am going to keep it an install it tomorrow morning.
I will do the mod.

@weatherguy,

Can you link me to the mod?

I allready have a cocorahs gauge so will compare it! :D

Thanks for the help!

----

Offline aweatherguy

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2016, 03:54:48 AM »
First a quick note -- I omitted this earlier and don't want you to run into a surprise at the end. I got the good accuracy by comparing with manual gauge and adjusting reported rain mathematically in software with a simple multiplier. I've got a computer-connected console so the accuracy tweak is painless once you figure out the correct adjustment.

If you're just using the console display (no computer), you would have to sit there with a calculator and multiply the readings by hand. For example even if you got the funnel diameter just perfect (exactly 0.01 per tip) you would still need to multiply the console readings by some factor (e.g. 0.254 would be the nominal correction) to get the actual rain amount. If the console was reading 10.00 inches then the actual rain amount would be 10.00 x 0.254 = 2.54 inches. That doesn't seem very convenient. so be sure your're okay with that before proceeding.

There's a good mod article at the top of the OS hardware forum (sticky post):

http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=2738.0

I'm not sure if it is discussed in the post but some of the plastic funnels you find may not be UV resistant. If so then after a year or two they will become very brittle and will break into many pieces if you just touch it too hard. Sorry, but I don't know how to identify plastic that would be UV resistant.

After my "UV crack-up" incident I made another funnel out of a sheet of tin flashing. That one was NOT UV sensitive  ;)  I can explain how that was made if you don't want to go the plastic route.

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2016, 12:43:25 PM »
First a quick note -- I omitted this earlier and don't want you to run into a surprise at the end. I got the good accuracy by comparing with manual gauge and adjusting reported rain mathematically in software with a simple multiplier. I've got a computer-connected console so the accuracy tweak is painless once you figure out the correct adjustment.

If you're just using the console display (no computer), you would have to sit there with a calculator and multiply the readings by hand. For example even if you got the funnel diameter just perfect (exactly 0.01 per tip) you would still need to multiply the console readings by some factor (e.g. 0.254 would be the nominal correction) to get the actual rain amount. If the console was reading 10.00 inches then the actual rain amount would be 10.00 x 0.254 = 2.54 inches. That doesn't seem very convenient. so be sure your're okay with that before proceeding.

There's a good mod article at the top of the OS hardware forum (sticky post):

http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=2738.0

I'm not sure if it is discussed in the post but some of the plastic funnels you find may not be UV resistant. If so then after a year or two they will become very brittle and will break into many pieces if you just touch it too hard. Sorry, but I don't know how to identify plastic that would be UV resistant.

After my "UV crack-up" incident I made another funnel out of a sheet of tin flashing. That one was NOT UV sensitive  ;)  I can explain how that was made if you don't want to go the plastic route.

WoW.
What a PITA. Well I cant give it forward so I decided to install it and just gave it to the kids so they will know the weather right of the bat when they wake up.
Thanks for the help and instructions.

----

Offline aweatherguy

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2016, 07:28:02 PM »
Yeah, I kinda thought that might ruin it for you. Sorry for giving you a brief false hope there.

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2016, 08:09:58 PM »
Yeah, I kinda thought that might ruin it for you. Sorry for giving you a brief false hope there.

Its ok. :D
It will serve its purpose :P

----

anything