Author Topic: Agricultural & Fog Sensors - Jacksonville, FL  (Read 5460 times)

Offline xmas1313

• McKinleyville Weather Observatory
Agricultural & Fog Sensors - Jacksonville, FL
« on: July 20, 2010, 11:35:51 AM »
Here's a picture of an experimental fog sensor I came up with (experimental because it's Florida during the summer, so I haven't had many opportunities to test it with more than light fog).  A leaf wetness sensor is mounted face down underneath a large PVC cap.  The cap keeps rain off the sensor and should keep dew from forming on the sensor.  As a result, I believe what is detected is suspended water droplets in the fog.  I've gotten readings around 3 for light fog and up to around 10 for thicker fog although I don't think I've had any dense fog since the sensor was installed.

The next picture is of my soil sensor array prior to installation.  There are 4" and 8" temperature and moisture sensors all on one array that can be dropped into a short 8" deep trench.

The agricultural page is at http://arlingtonweather.net/ag.php.  The fog graph is the right one marked "Leaf Wetness 2".

Scott

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
Re: Agricultural & Fog Sensors - Jacksonville, FL
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 11:43:38 AM »
VERY slick! Keep us informed about how it works!

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 12:04:29 PM »
Here's a picture of an experimental fog sensor I came up with

If it works, you've done very well.   =D> =D> =D>
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
    • Thomas Creek Estates neighborhood weather
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 12:09:21 PM »
Those look cool!
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline xmas1313

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 02:06:34 PM »
Thanks for the nice comments :grin:  If anyone else has a VP ag station and a spare leaf wetness port, I'd be more than happy to give some more details on the construction.  The most difficult part was finding a bracket to allow mounting on the pole since I couldn't find a pipe clamp big enough.  I ended up using a mount from an old rain gauge.  I will surely let ya'll know how it works this fall and winter when we get some more fog around here.

-Scott

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 12:12:25 PM »
That's a great idea! I think I'll try that with one of my leaf wetness sensors. I have a separate radiation shield I could try it in as well.

We get a lot of fog here in the mornings, so I'll have something to look at, and I can compare it to regular leaf wetness sensor.

Regarding the soil sensor array, that looks nice, as well. My only comment is that rather than stagger them, I think would put the moisture and associated temp sensors closer together. did you have a reason for staggering them?

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 03:18:09 PM »
I like that page on your site, it's interesting seeing the temp difference between 2' and 5'. It would be nice to know (and I'm guessing it's 5' based on CWOP siting specs) at what distance the effects from the ground tend to go away. And what about 10'? Add one more sensor for us so we'll know!  :grin:

Offline xmas1313

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 10:05:50 PM »
Regarding the soil sensor array, that looks nice, as well. My only comment is that rather than stagger them, I think would put the moisture and associated temp sensors closer together. did you have a reason for staggering them?

That's a good question, and I had to think about this for a minute before I remembered... I put the 2 moisture sensors at the far end so that they would be closest to my privacy fence to try to keep them away from my sprinkler.  I was trying to get an indication of mostly rainfall derived soil moisture.

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 08:28:32 AM »
Awsome. At what height do you have the fog sensor mounted?

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline weather9

• Akers Weather
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2010, 08:12:10 PM »
simply cool... 8-)
KSCBENNE4/CW6106
VP2 w/ 24hr FARS and solar, XP sp3
VWS 14.01 p31
Regards,