Author Topic: Weather Mexico  (Read 5392 times)

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
Weather Mexico
« on: November 04, 2009, 10:44:25 AM »
A few pics of the station and the new OS200. I made a "buying" trip to TX last month and brought down my new toys, Christmas happens early in Mexico. The pool table makes a great staging area. The new rain gauge with levelers and with modification works great although we'll not get any more rain until next June, but we're ready. Also the anemometer mast and a second sensor. The primary #1 sensor is finally down at ground level where it's not reading the concrete roof temp. And finally weather central for Lake Chapala Weather Net and the "weather window". Max the weather cat and I are the primary station for the Lake Chapala area, we're on the other side of a mountain from Guadalajara which is the nearest official reporting station and as you can imagine, the conditions vary significantly.

Offline sam2004gp

• Mount Crawford, Virginia
  • Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
    • Mount Crawford Weather, VA
Re: Weather Mexico
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 12:45:05 PM »
Nice setup you got going there.  Glad to see that rain gauge mod in use there.  Guess you don't need the heater in your area?
SAM --->>> http://www.mountcrawfordweather.org
OS WMR-968 with a Dedicated PWS Weather Computer running VWS v13.01 p09

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 01:54:39 PM »
Well, I hope not a rain gauge heater because if it gets that cold I have much bigger problems, we don't have heating or AC in houses here, but I did get out a little portable propane heater I use here in the early mornings once-in-a-while just to make sure it works, it was darn chilly, only 53 outside, I put on long pants, but back to shorts by mid morning.

Offline sam2004gp

• Mount Crawford, Virginia
  • Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
    • Mount Crawford Weather, VA
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 02:08:23 PM »
What are your high temps for the season?  Also where did you find your funnel for the rain gauge modification.  If you have an online source you may wish to post it in the OS-WMR968 rain gauge mod thread.  http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=2738.0

SAM --->>> http://www.mountcrawfordweather.org
OS WMR-968 with a Dedicated PWS Weather Computer running VWS v13.01 p09

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 10:22:14 AM »
The high for the year was 91 on April 28th. Our "summer" is April/May and it begins to rain in June and cools. Our low was 48 one morning in Jan, but it was 67 later that day.

I got the funnel at the beer brewing supply place someone else posted. I like it for two reasons, it has 2 tabs on the rim which allows for stabilization attachment and has a snap in mesh strainer. http://www.homebrewmart.com/

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 11:05:53 PM »
wow   53F 

Summer in Minnesota- put on the shorts

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 10:22:37 AM »
I agree but our blood "thins" down here and we get wimpy and do sweats Dec-Feb and then it's shorts the rest of the time. The houses are brick, tile and steel, no insulation so when they cool you tend to feel it - or maybe I'm just getting old. Here's life in MX http://www.chapalaweather.net/Casa%20Abuelo%202009/

Offline Axelvold

• Forecaster
    • Axelvold's weather and photo
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 12:00:59 PM »
A very nice setup you have there stevebrtx  =D>

What is the disc to the left used for?

Lars Magnusson
Axelvold / Sweden
55° 57' 41" N / 13° 6' 1" E
WX Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 08:48:11 PM »
Well sadly, not used any more. As you look out across Mexico it looks like some deep space tracking "area". Many of the houses had C or K band (I think) receivers for years as the only connection to civilization. In more recent times we're become modern and receive Dish (illegally) ShawChoice (Canadian) and Sky (Mexican). So, now there are all these huge old dishes on top of roofs all over the place with no purpose. The most creative use for them so far is to take them down, flip them over, put columns under them and use them as a support structure for a "palapa" which is a thatched roof over a bar, sitting area etc, actually works pretty well. The one on my casita is even larger.

The Dish situation is one of the many little "challenges" of living here. Apparently Dish hasn't paid off the proper people down here so it's not "legal" to have a receiver with a MX address, so, through many channels we have proxy address's, mine thinks it's in NYC and so I get all the NY news, weather (?), sports like the Hoboken Hasbeens etc. But, times change and so do we - eventually. Everything in Mexico is "manana" which doesn't mean tomorrow, it only means "not today".

Probably the single biggest nuisance here is getting anything hauled down here. Shipping anything of value in from the states through customs immediately costs 15% and runs the real potential of not appearing on the receiving end. So, we ship into the states and haul it down by personal "mule". Right now I'm considering shipping a webcam to Canada to be brought down by a neighbor who is currently there and returning soon. But, all that said, the "weather" is incomparable.

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2009, 02:59:23 AM »
I agree but our blood "thins" down here and we get wimpy and do sweats Dec-Feb and then it's shorts the rest of the time. The houses are brick, tile and steel, no insulation so when they cool you tend to feel it - or maybe I'm just getting old. Here's life in MX http://www.chapalaweather.net/Casa%20Abuelo%202009/
You have a beautiful home - it's right up my alley! How many square feet is the house?

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit
www.LasCruces-Weather.com   www.EastMesaWeather.com

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2009, 09:36:59 PM »
The house is about 2,500 sq ft and the upper deck and terazza under it are about 15' X 35' each, so they add a lot of living space as our climate allows more of an "open" living concept. There is also a nice one bedroom casita on the property rented by a lady from Canada to escape the frozen northland for 6 months each year.

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2009, 03:20:39 PM »
Nice! You're living my dream! I love the pool table room looking over the swimming pool and I really enjoyed the photo-tour - thanks for sharing!

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit
www.LasCruces-Weather.com   www.EastMesaWeather.com

Offline upweather

• Lake Superior snow belt
  • Forecaster
  • record snowfall 315.5" season 99.9"
    • superior region weather
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2009, 01:35:20 AM »
Nice setup and nice view  :-)
VP2 6153 W/24HR FARS, HEATER,WEATHERLINK IP
CoCoRaHS MI-AG-1 ,CWOP-DW3971 ,
nearby webcam http://www.upadventures.net/webcam.php