Author Topic: Acurite 5 in 1, Costco version  (Read 1990 times)

Offline Jim_S

• Senior Contributor
Acurite 5 in 1, Costco version
« on: February 10, 2019, 03:14:42 PM »
My first PWS was a wired one from Radio Shack, remnants of which still decorate the house in a few places. I always enjoyed it but it eventually stopped working and I never replaced it. Then, years later, I walked in to Costco and saw the Acurite system on sale for $60. Pretty hard to pass up. The installation was a lot easier than RS and the color display much better. I liked it so much that the next year I bought another one to have a second display for the basement and a spare 5 in 1 for parts which (knock on wood) hasn't been necessary yet.

My yard has several trees and no perfect location. I did the best I could. I'm using a 10' 3/4" EMT mast mounted to the frame of the deck's awning which is steel pipe and very rigid. I may try to get it a little higher this summer.

The general setup:

A closer look. (the trees that appear to be "right there" are actually about 30' away)

The main upstairs display mounted on the wall:

Offline saberonyx

• my weather and astronomy site
Re: Acurite 5 in 1, Costco version
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 06:57:21 PM »
Nice setup, I followed a similar path growing up with just some thermometers, a few barometers, then got my first “station” (bloomsky) and now added the ambient ws-2902a. I mounted temporarily to the deck with an 8 ' steel pole and now moved it to the roof in front of my bloomsky camera. The main thing I noticed moving it to the roof is I get really good close to True wind readings it's actually ends up about five feet above the roofline.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Offline AeroPilot

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 12:58:42 PM »
I have a very similar installation. My deck surface is about 11' above the ground and the 5 in 1 about 10' above that.   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 11:35:17 PM by AeroPilot »

Offline Jim_S

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2019, 06:42:24 PM »
Thanks for posting. Looks like yours is a bit higher than mine and farther away from trees which is a good thing.

Offline AeroPilot

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2019, 11:26:29 PM »
i started out with just the thinner pipe which put the station about 6' above the deck. Swirling winds (eave level) and heat radiating off the composite decking at that height pushed me to recently raise it 4'- much better numbers now. I may have to make another change though since it looks like the wind may push it around a bit.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 11:38:09 PM by AeroPilot »

anything