Author Topic: Acurite 5n1 rainfall readout  (Read 2214 times)

Offline Snowman65

Acurite 5n1 rainfall readout
« on: January 17, 2019, 12:48:35 AM »
Anyone found a way around the ridiculous 48-hour rolling rainfall reading on the 5-n-1 display?  It's frustrating during the current downpour to watch the total DROP because it rained two days ago.  Needs to be daily resetting at midnight.

Also, when reviewing the records sections, there's no daily record, just weekly and monthly.

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
Re: Acurite 5n1 rainfall readout
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 08:46:35 AM »
Same thing has happened to me! Watching the rain total drop while it’s raining outside. I hate the way it’s been implemented. I haven’t found a way to change it. It’s a carryover from the 5-N-1’s HD display because it does the same thing. Our best hope is to contact AcuRite and they release a firmware update, but I doubt that will ever happen.

I suggest submitting a change request to AcuRite:
https://support.acurite.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline axplayer

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 10:53:47 AM »
I got this display for Christmas. The WEB site and instructions show "Today's Rainfall" If this is not possible to set I'll send it back. Useless as is and the old display still works. I've tried to attach a shot of the WEB site and manual. I send a support email. We'll see.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Offline pianoman8849

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 10:15:58 AM »
I have exactly the same issue. I have unplugged it, hit the reset button for 3 seconds. Then powered it up. Made the adjustments to time, etc. There were three options flashing by the rainfall display. 24 hr, weekly and monthly, but there's no way to change that, only the measurement from inch to mm. When the display finishes with the settings, the rainfall readout goes back to week and year. I want 24 hour and weekly on the second line. Am I doing something wrong? Can't seem to make any sense out of the display instruction book. Thanks

Offline axplayer

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 12:00:52 PM »
Ok here's what I found.
It rained on and off for a few dry days. for the first 24 hours the display read "Today's Rainfall" then it went to "48 hour". After a few hours of dry the "48 hour" began to drop. It rained another .5" of rain and only "48 hour" displayed an went up. Useless as I monitor rain at the top of a hill and several cisterns and need to see what the rainfall is hour by hour each day, to know what's going to be coming down the hill.
After several tickets with NO response (Acurite had closed them with nothing else said) I went to online chat. I simply said "it doesn't serve my purpose. Person on the other end of the conversation sent me an email with an RMA address. I'll be sending it back today for a refund.
My old display still works just fine.

Offline pianoman8849

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2019, 06:19:41 AM »
Thanks. I think I'll just move to the desert where there is no rain!!!!  :-)

Offline rdelp68

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2019, 11:17:28 PM »
I am guessing they are not going to fix this... these posts are from almost a year ago.... SMFH!

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2019, 02:46:04 AM »
Ok here's what I found.
It rained on and off for a few dry days. for the first 24 hours the display read "Today's Rainfall" then it went to "48 hour". After a few hours of dry the "48 hour" began to drop. It rained another .5" of rain and only "48 hour" displayed an went up. Useless as I monitor rain at the top of a hill and several cisterns and need to see what the rainfall is hour by hour each day, to know what's going to be coming down the hill.

That's exactly how it is supposed to work.

It is rain in a period of 48 hours.  If it stops raining, it will click down as time advances.  If it starts raining again, it will start increasing, assuming it's enough to cover what's falling off at the end of the time period.

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2019, 08:49:59 AM »
I am guessing they are not going to fix this... these posts are from almost a year ago.... SMFH!

It's obviously a terrible implementation. Too bad they haven't revised it in their newer displays.

What I do is make the third screen "Today's Records"  and then click twice from the main screen to see the day's actual rainfall.

Offline rdelp68

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2019, 10:56:27 AM »
Yes its extremely lame to have to go through all that just to see rainfall for today. Started raining here this morning it instantly has 0.12 on it and counts down. That silliness is what should be on the 2nd screen. Amazing  this bug is not fixed yet some people wanna call this a feature. The fact the company is going to do nothing about it. They c can send me a RMA and a free shipping label they can take this piece a junk back and I will make sure everyone knows about this for some time to come.  Very disappointing to get something that looks really nice but has this type of bug in it.  Not too mention the rainfall rate doesn't work either. 

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2019, 11:19:19 AM »
The rainfall rate does work. It is just telling a different story. The rainfall rate you are seeing is an accumulated amount of the last hour. Other brands show instant rain rate of that moment in time so as to say how much rain would fall if it continued to rain with that intensity for the next hour. Neither is right or wrong, it is just a different thing. Some software lets you pick the method you prefer (like Meteobridge when uploading to Weather Underground).
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2019, 11:39:43 AM »
The rainfall rate does work. It is just telling a different story. The rainfall rate you are seeing is an accumulated amount of the last hour. Other brands show instant rain rate of that moment in time so as to say how much rain would fall if it continued to rain with that intensity for the next hour. Neither is right or wrong, it is just a different thing. Some software lets you pick the method you prefer (like Meteobridge when uploading to Weather Underground).

That's for wunderground, not for the displays.

Unless you have specific hardware to calculate rain rate (most don't) , it is calculated by the display.  Due to differences in timing between different brands, it isn't going to match up.

That why wunderground has a specific process of sending 60 minute rainfall accumulation.  It is intended to make rain rate consistent across brands on wunderground.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 11:46:26 AM by nincehelser »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2019, 12:16:01 PM »

Unless you have specific hardware to calculate rain rate (most don't) , it is calculated by the display.  Due to differences in timing between different brands, it isn't going to match up.

That why wunderground has a specific process of sending 60 minute rainfall accumulation.  It is intended to make rain rate consistent across brands on wunderground.

No, it is not just for WU. I was comparing Acurite's display of rain rate to other brand displays. Does that carry over to WU?.. yes. But I was just comparing displays.

We aren't going to dig up old bones. The matter is settled. I'm just informing people that there are two methods to report rain rate and I'm not advocating for one method versus the other.

Tele-Pole

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2019, 12:59:15 PM »

No, it is not just for WU. I was comparing Acurite's display of rain rate to other brand displays. Does that carry over to WU?.. yes. But I was just comparing displays.

We aren't going to dig up old bones. The matter is settled. I'm just informing people that there are two methods to report rain rate and I'm not advocating for one method versus the other.

No, it doesn't carry over to wunderground.  The display doesn't send data to wunderground in the first place.

The matter is settled for me, as I understand how wunderground works from actually programming to it. There aren't "two methods" to report rain rate to wunderground.  There's just one, as specified by the protocol.  The "other" is if you start jerking around with "rainin" parameter.  It's something meteobridge does, but it is not sanctioned by wunderground. 

As far as hardware goes, you're just way off.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2019, 01:11:44 PM »

No, it doesn't carry over to wunderground.  The display doesn't send data to wunderground in the first place.

The matter is settled for me, as I understand how wunderground works from actually programming to it. There aren't "two methods" to report rain rate to wunderground.  There's just one, as specified by the protocol.  The "other" is if you start jerking around with "rainin" parameter.  It's something meteobridge does, but it is not sanctioned by wunderground. 
What you are saying is fine. We all value your opinion.

This however I do not understand. I'm saying that different hardware brands apparently show different types of rain rate. That is all I'm saying. I can see on my Ambient displays and Ecowitt consoles an instant rain rate. Nothing to do with WU. So two methods exist.

Tele-Pole

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2019, 01:44:33 PM »

This however I do not understand. I'm saying that different hardware brands apparently show different types of rain rate. That is all I'm saying. I can see on my Ambient displays and Ecowitt consoles an instant rain rate. Nothing to do with WU. So two methods exist.

I guess you can hold your own opinion about there being "two methods".  I know there are hardware and software methods, but I've never seen any evidence supporting two different methods in software other than changing the sampling.

Offline rdelp68

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2019, 02:31:02 PM »
Yes the rainfall rate on this doesn't work right either.. Its true its just an accumulation of past hour, not technically actually rate. Acurite needs to address these issues and not pass them off as features or just the way it works.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2019, 02:31:58 PM »

I guess you can hold your own opinion about there being "two methods".  I know there are hardware and software methods, but I've never seen any evidence supporting two different methods in software other than changing the sampling.

In software the Meteobridge supports both methods for uploading to WU (right or wrong I'm not saying what I feel on this matter...it just has two ways of doing it is all I'm saying).

Then there is the Ambient WS-2000 display console. When that model first sold for months it displayed only Hourly Rain but called it "rain rate." Which is fine...it was the rain rate of the previous accumulated hour. Same method as what we see on the Acurite HD display for the Atlas. Then a firmware update to the WS-2000 changed rain rate to be instantaneous rain rate, which matches what the Meteobridge does when set to the equivalent method. But now the WS-2000 shows both on the display at the same time. It however calls the other method "hourly rain." It was interesting for the WS-2000 to do this when it first sold because it deviated from any previous model.

According to your other post just today in this other thread changing the display on the Acurite 5-in-1 gets you different rain rate methods.
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=38374.msg394667#msg394667

Based on that I guess we do agree that there is more than one method to describe the amount of recent rainfall.

I first jumped into this thread because a user thought that there was something wrong with their Acurite display in regards to rain rate. I just came in to inform them that it wasn't broken and tried to explain why what they were seeing was different than what they were accustomed to with their previous display. I'm making zero judgment on advocating for one thing or the other. I have both methods on my display and my Meteobridge also lets me choose in terms of uploading to WU. And according to you Acurite 5-in-one users also have a choice on this issue depending on the display they get. I too hope you like said that Acurite will provide alternative displays for the Atlas as they do for the 5-in-one. My goal is to not just inform the users but to hope that Acurite is listening so that they can improve their offerings. I want Acurite to do well and make their customers happy and get them what they want. The more popular Acurite gets with their offerings the stronger competition they are for the others and then we all win. The only reason Davis is so complacent is because they don't have a true competitor. So I'm rooting for Acurite to make some improvements and finally release a killer Elite with all of these issues we discuss addressed. My criticism of Acurite is not in spite but in as a nudge to their development team and management to give us what we want. I'm sure that there are plenty of Acurite users that have no issues with their current product offerings and that they are performing and doing everything exactly as they would want and perhaps you fall into that category.

Tele-Pole

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2019, 04:57:43 PM »
OK.  Just believe whatever you want.  It's not correct, though.

According to your other post just today in this other thread changing the display on the Acurite 5-in-1 gets you different rain rate methods.
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=38374.msg394667#msg394667

No.  I was talking about how rainfall information is displayed.  I didn't say anything about rain-rate.

Based on that I guess we do agree that there is more than one method to describe the amount of recent rainfall.

We clearly aren't talking about the same thing.  I'm talking about reset at midnight, "rain events", and the rolling window.  None of those have anything to do with rain rate.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2019, 04:16:53 AM »
Got it. So then the difference in rain rate methods is only between brands.
Tele-Pole

anything