Author Topic: Wifi weather station: Ambient vs Davis vs ?  (Read 3421 times)

Offline rhodesengr

Wifi weather station: Ambient vs Davis vs ?
« on: December 13, 2018, 01:16:48 PM »
Hi all. Looking for a little help picking a weather station. It will be located on the roof of a condo building in Mexico. Here are by basic requirements:
1. Solar powered sensor head
2. Wireless from the sensor to an indoor console
3. Console is WIFI connected and uploads data to Weather Underground and/or other sites. ideally the WIFI aspect is built into the console but perhaps it's ok if the WIFI part in an add-on

So I started looking at various choices. This one for example
https://www.ambientweather.com/amws1000wifi.html

But there is also this one:
https://www.ambientweather.com/amws8478.html

But there are also options I see using Davis products like this one:
https://www.ambientweather.com/am6250weatherbridgekit.html

and a similar one with Vantage Pro 2.

I have experience with a system using Vantage Vue and a Vantage Connect that I run in USA for an RC flying club.

So I could use some advice on the Davis products vs and the Ambient ones and the Ambient seems to have quite a few choices and it is hard to tell the differences.

Any and all help will be deeply appreciated.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Re: Wifi weather station: Ambient vs Davis vs ?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 01:30:17 PM »
But there are also options I see using Davis products like this one:
and also option of http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=34312.0

that uploads to WL.com, WU, CWOP, WOW, AWEKAS, PWS and WC sites as well as realtime.txt and wflexp.json files.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 02:02:26 PM »
it will be located on the roof of a condo building in Mexico.
You're going to have several issues with this placement, foremost, will you even be able to receive a wireless signal. By far the best best here will be a Davis, and even then that's no guarantee. You can most likely forget an Ambient unless your console will be on the floor directly beneath it. Then you've got the problem of maintenance/access to the roof. Not only, with this sitting, the only data that probably won't be skewed is the wind. GL.

Offline rhodesengr

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 02:45:53 PM »
You're going to have several issues with this placement, foremost, will you even be able to receive a wireless signal. By far the best best here will be a Davis, and even then that's no guarantee. You can most likely forget an Ambient unless your console will be on the floor directly beneath it. Then you've got the problem of maintenance/access to the roof. Not only, with this sitting, the only data that probably won't be skewed is the wind. GL.

So you are talking about the wireless link from the sensor head to the base unit? Davis has a range quoted as 1000 feet. Ambient doesn't show a range for theirs heads. So that is one big question. Sounds like you are saying that the range for the Ambient products is much less?

The buildings are three stories high and my unit is on the ground floor. Two of the building already have masts on the roofs. Assume that I will be working with the HOA to get roof access. Whether I get good signal into my unit remains to be seen but I have a fall-plan. There is a small support office in its own one-story building and it has good line of site to the roofs. I would rather use my wifi in my unit but I think we would be able to use the internet in the office.

So if I go with a Davis head, it still looks like Ambient has  Weatherbridge while Davis has WeatherlinkIP for WIFI and uploading. Maybe the Davis unit has to be hard wired? It doesn't say anything about WIFI.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2018, 03:49:10 PM »
For Davis stations Davis has the WeatherlinkIP data logger, a direct wiring from console to router; an alternate to direct computer connection.
For Davis stations the third party WiFiLogger, as linked to on my previous post, has a Wifi connection from console to router, a direct replacement to WeatherlinkIP and slso more uploads.
Meteobridge is also a third party option for Davis stations.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2018, 04:29:00 PM »

So you are talking about the wireless link from the sensor head to the base unit? Davis has a range quoted as 1000 feet. Ambient doesn't show a range for theirs heads. So that is one big question. Sounds like you are saying that the range for the Ambient products is much less?
Yes, the Davis range is much greater, and being you're only talking 3 stories, I feel confident you could receive a Davis, especially if you horizontally align the antennas, which they are capable. BTW the Davis "head" is referred to as an ISS (Integrated Sensor Suite) and the base unit is called a console. If you don't want to spend Davis money, I suppose you could try something else, but I'd be certain it's returnable if it doesn't work.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2018, 04:37:16 PM »
Also BTW, if you do get a Davis, and stick it on the roof, I wouldn't mess with a VP2, just get a Vue, considerably less dinero.

Offline rhodesengr

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2018, 05:39:01 PM »
For Davis stations the third party WiFiLogger, as linked to on my previous post, has a Wifi connection from console to router, a direct replacement to WeatherlinkIP and slso more uploads.
Meteobridge is also a third party option for Davis stations.

OK, this is coming into focus now. So I will probably get a Vue but VP2 might be somewhat easier to mount on an existing pole. Vue sort of has to go on the top of a pole. If I can put up a new pole, then the Vue would be easy. Or maybe use one of those offset brackets. Just hard to find stuff you need down in that area.

So that brings me back to the WIFI interface. I read through some of your thread, Paul and I talked a little to a sales rep at Ambient. I now see that they sell the Meteobridge as the Nano. I see I can buy WifiLogger in USA from Scaled Instruments. It is less expensive than Nano for sure. So other than being less expensive, how would you compare and contrast WifiLogger to Nano?

I am a little confused about the power source. I will want to run the Davis console on AC power. Do you have to do anything special with WifiLogger to  get it run with the AC power unit hat comes with the console?

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2018, 08:21:30 PM »
I am somewhat familiar with the WiFiLogger and use it.  I am not familiar with the Nano so cannot comment but have read some good comments.

Both the Davis WeatherlinkIP and WiFiLogger fit in the Davis VP2 or Vue console and these can be battery and/or AC powered, no difference.  But highly recommended for AC as power consumption is much greater than a console with serial or USB logger.  The battery is generaly then for backup in the event of power failure.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline rhodesengr

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2018, 08:47:42 PM »
especially if you horizontally align the antennas, which they are capable.

Is this possible with a VUE ISS. Looking at the product photos, the antenna looks fixed.  I also don't see anything in the manual about turning it horizontal.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2018, 09:11:28 PM »
especially if you horizontally align the antennas, which they are capable.

Is this possible with a VUE ISS. Looking at the product photos, the antenna looks fixed.  I also don't see anything in the manual about turning it horizontal.
Yep, as a VP2 owner, I knew I should have looked before opening my pie-hole because I assumed that since the Vue console has a rotating antenna (I own one), then the ISS must also... so horizontal polarity ain't happening. Doesn't mean it still won't work, but the odds went down. That being said, your chance of getting reception is still boat loads better than the alternative PWS's.
Sorry for the bad info... :oops:

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2018, 10:14:38 PM »
With any Davis combination you could also include a solar short range repeater and it then wouldn't really matter what the antenna orientation was like especially considering the Vue is fixed?

Offline rhodesengr

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2018, 10:21:34 AM »
you could also include a solar short range repeater

Yes but I don't know where I would be able to locate a repeater in this particular situation.

Thanks for all the replies. All very helpful.

I guess I would still be  interested in getting a compare and contrast on the WifiLogger vs the Nano if anyone knows the detailed differences.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2018, 10:45:47 AM »
I guess I would still be  interested in getting a compare and contrast on the WifiLogger vs the Nano if anyone knows the detailed differences.
Not necessarily a product vs product comparison but this site has one of the best information resources for like products https://www.manula.com/manuals/pws/davis-kb/1/en/topic/what-s-new
and their johnd is a participant in discussion here on the forum.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline DenCathCopper

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2018, 08:09:07 PM »
While the Vue is cheaper it has the same guts, with one exception: everything is on one board so any problem requires replacing everything. The claim is about five years before something goes wrong, so decide of you want to fix the piece that fails or the whole board. And the antenna rotates on the VP2 if that wasn't clear. My last Davis WM2 lasted 20 years so I would never go with anything else. They have multiple options for you but each one has pluses and minuses including cost.

Offline VaJim

• Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
  • Forecaster
    • Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2018, 01:02:00 PM »
How many of the recommendation here can do this:

3. Console is WIFI connected and uploads data to Weather Underground and/or other sites. ideally the WIFI aspect is built into the console but perhaps it's ok if the WIFI part in an add-on

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2018, 01:19:04 PM »
How many of the recommendation here can do this:

Along with a Davis Vue or VP2, WiFiLogger does that!.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline wase4711

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2018, 02:09:22 PM »
if you get a wifi logger, just make sure that your wifi router has a decent, 2.4ghz signal, since the wifi logger only does 2.4, NOT 5ghz..