Author Topic: Talk me into a WS-2000  (Read 5847 times)

Offline kbellis

• Forecaster
Re: Talk me into a WS-2000
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2018, 07:22:10 AM »
Hello Sebago!

After reading this thread, I thought it might have been named "Talk me into anything other than a WS-2000"
  :-) !

I was on the fence about the WS-2000, and ultimately went with the WS-2902A, in part because: 1) at the time, it was out of stock; 2) the price point; and 3) the types of sensors that can be added (at least currently) are limited; e.g., no soils, no separate anemometer, etc. The soils sensor connecting to the wireless console is presently being worked on, so stay tuned on that. The WS-2000 console will work with the WS-2902A outdoor sensor array, though it isn't yet available as a separate item.

The primary thing that attracted me to the WS-2000 was the expansion of sensors, and yes, besides the soils and remote anemometer, I'll confess, I even wanted to put one temp-humidity sensor in our refrigerator! Instead, I ended up using the Elitech RC-4HC - neat little unit with optional (wired) probe; 4.3 stars, but the desktop software was only par; 2.2 stars - 3.9 stars overall.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 07:35:06 AM by kbellis »

Offline Ski Pro 3

« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2018, 10:37:03 AM »
Back to talking the OP into getting a WS-2000.  It's complete.  It's easy to set up, just about anyone can.  It's priced reasonably.  It's as accurate as anyone needs to determine weather and trends.  It's got 10 sensors and it has even more calculated readings, all of which are on the display.
In the end, I think it will be used and THAT is the most important thing. 

Regarding Davis and their idea of a console; either Davis isn't designed for the 'gentleman' weather observer or they are really missing the boat with marketing their product.  By ignoring customer preference for a display and set up that is intuitive, it's almost like they are deliberately trying to not target that market.  Sorta like those customers are not good enough and would actually bring down the image Davis has towards the 'more sophisticated' weather observer. 

Offline jzinckgra

• Raymond, ME
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2018, 01:41:58 PM »
I think I'm leaning toward just buying another Davis. I see there is a sale for an ISS with FARS for $422. If I get that at least I know it will last another 10-15yrs. The ambient sys is $$279 and only hearing reports of it maybe lasting 2-5 yrs. That's not real good on a yearly cost basis. Plus the reports here of data dropouts on the ambient makes me second guess the choice. As much as I'd like to have the ambient display, my guts telling me to stay with the Davis.

Offline davefr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2018, 02:01:54 PM »
I think I'm leaning toward just buying another Davis. I see there is a sale for an ISS with FARS for $422. If I get that at least I know it will last another 10-15yrs. The ambient sys is $$279 and only hearing reports of it maybe lasting 2-5 yrs. That's not real good on a yearly cost basis. Plus the reports here of data dropouts on the ambient makes me second guess the choice. As much as I'd like to have the ambient display, my guts telling me to stay with the Davis.

If you can live with a crappy console, kludgy connectivity options, and the expense, then definitely stick with Davis for the ISS.

I doubt the Ambient Osprey or Acurite Atlas sensors will last more then about 5 years.

Offline wase4711

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2018, 04:03:45 PM »
its funny listening to people slamming the Davis console and the connection options; I thought the same thing while going through a crappy Acurite ordeal, and then the WS2000, which, although everything worked perfectly out of the box, I could tell it wouldn't last long out here in the desert, so I decided to go with a Davis, since I had one years ago that lasted 15 years without issue..
So, I rarely, if ever look at the Davis Console; there are so many other ways to view your data, via cell phone/tablet/pc/etc, that the archaic look of the Davis console hasnt bothered me one bit..and.getting the internet working with it was a breeze; first, with a wifi logger, which didnt like my wifi network much, then, I switched to the Davis IP Logger, which works all the time, every time.
Sure you will spend more with a davis setup, but it just works, all the time, every time. so keep that in mind, and, as long as you are comfortable using cell phones/tablets/pc, viewing your data is gorgeous color wont be an issue..

good luck

Offline davefr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2018, 05:06:20 PM »

Sure you will spend more with a davis setup, but it just works, all the time, every time. so keep that in mind, and, as long as you are comfortable using cell phones/tablets/pc, viewing your data is gorgeous color wont be an issue..

good luck

Everyone has a different usage model.  There's no way our household is going to find a mobile device, turn it on, open an app just to get a quick glimpse of outdoor weather when an always on console will do all that for an entire household via a glance that takes a fraction of a second.

Cell phones are better for remote monitoring vs frequent use by a household.  To each his own.

Offline wase4711

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2018, 05:22:51 PM »
now a days, most people carry their cell phones/tablet around with them all day every day, so there might not be alot of "hunting" for a mobile device for most people..
but, you are right, to each his own!

Offline mkutche

• Forecaster
    • GosportWx.com
« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2018, 08:25:35 PM »
I've had my WS-2080 for almost 10 years now .. no issues here just gotta know how to take care of things.
Mike K.
Davis Vantage Vue 6250 - CumulusMX (3.21.1-b3205)
Gosport, Indiana
Gosportwx.com twitter.com/GosportINWX
-----------------------------------------------------------

Offline wase4711

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2018, 08:51:33 PM »
"they just dont make 'em like they used to"

Offline Ski Pro 3

« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2018, 12:34:13 AM »
and then the WS2000, which, although everything worked perfectly out of the box, I could tell it wouldn't last long out here in the desert

Wow!  Some crystal ball you got there. 

Offline jzinckgra

• Raymond, ME
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2019, 12:20:57 PM »
One other question. If I wanted to continue to use Weather Display software on my computer, would the WS-2000 have to be physically connected with USB or could it work through Wifi from the console? My computer is on Wifi, so that's why I thought it may work, but probably not. If not, is there any other way to get the WS-2000 to talk to WD wirelessly?

Offline jzinckgra

• Raymond, ME
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2019, 12:23:25 PM »
Also, for those that live in snow belts, does the solar sensor get easily blocked? I assume yes, but if I'm mounting this thing 20' in the air, I'm not going to clean it off when it snows. At least my Davis panel is vertical and helps in that regard.

Offline Sir_MAK

« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2019, 12:49:12 PM »
As for connecting to you pc.  The WS-2000 display cannot connect to your pc.  The USB port is not setup for this and you cannot access it thru the WiFi to get readings.  It maybe possible to use a third party device for this though.

On the solar panel, the solar panel augments the batteries, it does not charge them.  Having it blocked for days will not cause any issues nor deplete the batteries that much.  I have had my station running for over a year so far on a pair of standard lithium batteries and it still going strong (lol).  I would estimate that the batteries would last 8 to 12 months if the solar panel was total covered all the time.

I did not have any issues with snow last winter, though we didn't get to much then.  So far this winter the only issue was with freezing rain.  It caused my wind speed, direction, and rain sensors to freeze up.
Ambient WS-2000, Central Ohio - WU WC
Ambient
WS-2902, Lake Erie   -    WU WC

Offline kbellis

• Forecaster
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2019, 12:53:15 PM »
Is there an SD card for data logging on the WS-2000 - or is it used only for firmware updates?

As for connecting to you pc.  The WS-2000 display cannot connect to your pc.  The USB port is not setup for this and you cannot access it thru the WiFi to get readings.  It maybe possible to use a third party device for this though.

On the solar panel, the solar panel augments the batteries, it does not charge them.  Having it blocked for days will not cause any issues nor deplete the batteries that much.  I have had my station running for over a year so far on a pair of standard lithium batteries and it still going strong (lol).  I would estimate that the batteries would last 8 to 12 months if the solar panel was total covered all the time.

I did not have any issues with snow last winter, though we didn't get to much then.  So far this winter the only issue was with freezing rain.  It caused my wind speed, direction, and rain sensors to freeze up.

Offline jzinckgra

• Raymond, ME
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2019, 12:54:06 PM »

Thanks. I am reconsidering the WS2000, but wondering how well (accurate) temp readings are without having fan aspiration. Too bad Ambient doens't have this.

Offline Sir_MAK

« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2019, 01:44:54 PM »
Is there an SD card for data logging on the WS-2000 - or is it used only for firmware updates?

Yes you can dump data to the SD card.
Ambient

Offline Ski Pro 3

« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2019, 02:18:40 PM »

Yes. There is a setting on the WS-2000 console Setup page titled, 'Interval'.  It's adjustable from 1 to 240 in minute increments.  I set mine at 1 minute and it's a bit much, so adjusted to 10 minute intervals.  You can view the collected data as well as how much it's filling your internal memory (16mb BTW) by pressing the up/down arrow on the console twice.  Most recent data is displayed and you can scroll back to view historical data. 
By going to the 'About' page, you can view the internal memory 'Total Storage' as well as 'Available Storage'.  Then you can copy this history data to an SD card from the 'Factory' page using the 'Backup Data' option. 

I am simply amazed at how robust the WS-2000 display console is over the 2902A's console.  So glad I got it over the other.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 02:21:21 PM by Ski Pro 3 »

Offline kbellis

• Forecaster
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2019, 02:26:00 PM »
Can logging be opted onto the SD instead of, or in addition to the 16MB "internal"?

Yes. There is a setting on the WS-2000 console Setup page titled, 'Interval'.  It's adjustable from 1 to 240 in minute increments.  I set mine at 1 minute and it's a bit much, so adjusted to 10 minute intervals.  You can view the collected data as well as how much it's filling your internal memory (16mb BTW) by pressing the up/down arrow on the console twice.  Most recent data is displayed and you can scroll back to view historical data. 
By going to the 'About' page, you can view the internal memory 'Total Storage' as well as 'Available Storage'.  Then you can copy this history data to an SD card from the 'Factory' page using the 'Backup Data' option. 

I am simply amazed at how robust the WS-2000 display console is over the 2902A's console.  So glad I got it over the other.

Offline Sir_MAK

« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2019, 02:26:41 PM »

Thanks. I am reconsidering the WS2000, but wondering how well (accurate) temp readings are without having fan aspiration. Too bad Ambient doens't have this.

The passive solar shield on the station works well as I have not seen any issue with the temp during daylight.  I had a previous station with a fan and it had various issues over the years.
Ambient

Offline Ski Pro 3

« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2019, 02:58:46 PM »
Can logging be opted onto the SD instead of, or in addition to the 16MB "internal"?
Not as an option I don't think so.  However, I have noted that the SD card, if left in place, has a file created on it that has data and I put a blank card in to start.  I haven't checked to see what that data is on the card, but something is written to it. 

Offline kbellis

• Forecaster
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2019, 03:05:57 PM »
Thanks. Guess I'll find out soon enough. The WS-2000 Display Tablet (only) should arrive here Tuesday  :grin:

Not as an option I don't think so.  However, I have noted that the SD card, if left in place, has a file created on it that has data and I put a blank card in to start.  I haven't checked to see what that data is on the card, but something is written to it.

Offline Ski Pro 3

« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2019, 03:17:33 PM »
Thanks. Guess I'll find out soon enough. The WS-2000 Display Tablet (only) should arrive here Tuesday  :grin:

When you first set it up, check the 'About' page for the current firmware versions.  There are two; one for the program and one for the wifi.
Updates for the program are on the website under software.  Scroll down and click on the WS-2000 weather station, then go from there.
The one for the wifi, if it doesn't change after you do this, is on the phone app.  If needed, when you launch the app, it will tell you there's an upgrade.  Click and it's done.  You'll have to reboot/power off reset the new console for it to load.

There's a lot to explore on this console.  For example; the rain on the 2902 is a 'total' that doesn't reset.  On the 2000 it's a 'year' and settable for the rain season beginning any month you desire.  Most choose September or October, depending on where they are in the country. 

Offline kbellis

• Forecaster
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2019, 03:20:13 PM »

Cool. Thanks!

When you first set it up, check the 'About' page for the current firmware versions.  There are two; one for the program and one for the wifi.
Updates for the program are on the website under software.  Scroll down and click on the WS-2000 weather station, then go from there.
The one for the wifi, if it doesn't change after you do this, is on the phone app.  If needed, when you launch the app, it will tell you there's an upgrade.  Click and it's done.  You'll have to reboot/power off reset the new console for it to load.

There's a lot to explore on this console.  For example; the rain on the 2902 is a 'total' that doesn't reset.  On the 2000 it's a 'year' and settable for the rain season beginning any month you desire.  Most choose September or October, depending on where they are in the country.

Offline davefr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2019, 05:07:03 PM »

Display Tablet only??? Is Ambient selling the WS-2000 console ala carte?

Offline Ski Pro 3

« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2019, 06:04:22 PM »
Display Tablet only??? Is Ambient selling the WS-2000 console ala carte?

Yes!
https://www.ambientweather.com/amws2000c.html

anything