Author Topic: Industrial plants contributed to snow  (Read 1052 times)

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
Re: Industrial plants contributed to snow
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 09:17:47 AM »
I saw this man-made snow on radar all day and evening.  I was surprised when at 10 am after the predicted snowfall had cleared the area that upon venturing out there was a scattered snowflake falling here and there.  It persisted throughout the rest of the day and well into the evening.  It was still 'snizzling' (a snow drizzle?) when I drove back from NorthEast Lincoln after our Lincoln Community Concert Band rehearsal.  There was little accumulation here, although during the three hours my vehicle was parked for the rehearsal it acquired a light frosting on its horizontal surfaces due to this phenomenon.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 09:19:24 AM by gwwilk »
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 10:02:03 AM »
It is a good illustration (though maybe on a small scale) of human effect on weather.

I don't recall this effect being discussed with nuclear power cooling towers. Surely it would occur.

gwwilk, nice weather page there:   
https://www.gwwilkins.org/

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 11:07:12 AM »
There was a 'Winter Weather Advisory' issued for a number of counties SouthEast of the Norfolk steam-emitting sites this morning.  It had expired at 10 am, but the radar indicated the moisture was still generating radar returns.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 01:24:04 PM by gwwilk »
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 01:08:15 PM »

No Radar Return... :twisted:

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2018, 01:10:38 PM »
I saw this phenomena at a power plant I worked at several times over the years. It was always local and happened at night being caused from added moisture off 6 large cooling towers. Conditions had to be just right so occurred less than dozen times in 36 years.
Snowfall ranged anywhere from 1"-3" just around the plant and within a few miles downwind.

First time it happened after getting off work I remember being surprised thinking it was snowing everywhere as I drove out of the snow on my way home.

That's also steam coming out of 800 foot tall stacks not smoke, steam is caused by So2 scrubbers and the large cooling towers.  Image is not of phenomena mentioned above but just example amount of steam produced with just 2 units running in photo. Middle unit is down.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 02:32:45 PM by ValentineWeather »
Randy

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2018, 01:31:59 PM »
Not snow, but ....

Calhoun, TN, 1990:

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/a2338lj/