WS-2xxx owner: No modifications, No bird issues
21 (46.7%)
WS-2xxx owner: No modifications, Having bird issues
3 (6.7%)
WS-2xxx owner: Modifications made because of potential bird issues
4 (8.9%)
WS-2XXX owner: Modifications made because of real bird issues - problem solved
1 (2.2%)
WS-2XXX owner: Modifications made because of real bird issues - problem not solved
0 (0%)
Potential Future WS-2xxx owner: Not concerned about bird issues
1 (2.2%)
Potential Future WS-2xxx owner: Yes, concerned about bird issues
3 (6.7%)
Other model owner: No modifications, No bird issues
6 (13.3%)
Other model owner: No modifications, Having bird issues
1 (2.2%)
Other model owner: Modifications made because of potential bird issues
3 (6.7%)
Other model owner: Modifications made because of real bird issues - problem solved
2 (4.4%)
Other model owner: Modifications made because of real bird issues - problem not solved
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Author Topic: Poll + Discussion: WS-2902A WS-2000 Bird Proofing Methods, Spikes, Scare Tape  (Read 4589 times)

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
    • https://weather34.com/homeweatherstation
yes you are correct stolen from my wifes kitchen as she has about 30 of em she hasnt noticed.

tried cocktail,wooden sticks but would become soft in rainfall and eventually snap

plastic cable ties would not last long here in peak uv periods here would turn soft in the heat and any wind present  they would just flop over and once cooled down turn brittle

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Ambient Weather seems to have on their website the same looking bird spikes as Ecowitt. Seems to not be in stock yet but the order page is up.
https://www.ambientweather.com/amwewsbispki.html

Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
I have had occasional bird issues on my old sensor array and took the opportunity to apply the ecowitt bird spikes when I got my new HP2550/WS2000 system.
So far so good, no erroneous rainfall counts which must mean the birds are staying away.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
G1ZFO

Ecowitt HP2551A + WH65 Tri-Wing (Wunderground: IGUILDFO67)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Wunderground: IGUILDFO68)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Mk2) test environment driving CumulusMX on a RPi 3b
Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)
Ecowitt WS90 Wittboy - Test
Ecowitt WH51 (x6) Soil Moisture Sensor
Ecowitt WH41 PM2.5 AQM Sensor
Ecowitt WH31 (x8) Thermo/Hygro Sensor
Ecowitt WS80 Ultrasonic Anemometer (pre-prod test)
Ecowitt WH57 Lightning Sensor -test
Ecowitt WH32-EP (SHT35) + Davis 7714 Screen
Ecowitt WH45 CO2/PM2.5/PM10 -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Soil Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Water Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN35 Leaf Moisture

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Today I noticed that my bird spikes had fallen off. The entire thing just slipped down. A few things could have caused this. First I was not really confident that I had been able to apply enough force when I first installed them a few months ago. Second I installed them in the Winter. Now that we are having warmer temperatures I'm not sure if that affected it and the heat somehow enabled them to slide down as Metal (the band) expands with hotter temperatures. Also we've started to have some heavy rains and maybe the force of the rain pushed them down.

In any case it is all there and I was able to make it tight again. This time I changed my installation method. Rather than try and tighten while in place I tightened it with the ring removed (just a bit at a time and test). Then I slipped it up from the bottom of the funnel to check for tightness. I repeated the process confident that I could still make it a bit tighter and still be able to slip it on. Now it feels much tighter than ever.

Tele-Pole

Offline kbellis

• Forecaster
FWIW - I've never seen a bird sitting on my weather station since erecting it four months ago today. It might be explained that there are many other nearby perches for them that don't have a spinning anemometer.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
WS-2902A Osprey Array Weather Station Attacked by Hawk!

I wish I had a better video quality of this incident. I'll need to work on fixing my camera exposure. But here (in video link below) you can see that bird spikes don't mean squat to a big hawk. Looks like it perched on the wind vane for a couple seconds. It then swoops down and catches an anole (lizard) and then flies back to the weather station! Sure my rain gauge is safe from the hawk so it seems. But I might find a anole parts in the rain gauge though. And what about that wind vane abuse? You can see in the video that the anemometer keeps spinning with the hawk perched on the wind vane.

YouTube video link:
https://youtu.be/DHViA6B0_oU

After this incident I think bird spikes are worth it. I think it prevented a rain gauge landing.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 08:34:04 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline droiddk

• Forecaster
WS-2902A Osprey Array Weather Station Attacked by Hawk!

I wish I had a better video quality of this incident. I'll need to work on fixing my camera exposure. But here you can see that bird spikes don't mean squat to a big hawk. Looks like it perched on the wind vane for a couple seconds. It then swoops down and catches an anole (lizard) and then flies back to the weather station! Sure my rain gauge is safe from the hawk so it seems. But I might find a anole parts in the rain gauge though. And what about that wind vane abuse? You can see in the video that the anemometer keeps spinning with the hawk perched on the wind vane.

https://youtu.be/DHViA6B0_oU

After this incident I think bird spikes are worth it. I think it prevented a rain gauge landing.

Wow, that pipe is...flexible :o

Regards

Offline kbellis

• Forecaster
Not sure why you had to Photoshop the still image, but the differences in the perspective, lighting, and focus of the two objects; i.e., the bird and the PWS, aren't very convincing.

The video I believe.
[youtube]https://youtu.be/DHViA6B0_oU[/youtube]

Boing goes the mast!

Whatever happened to your telepole?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Yep pipe is flexible as it is just a temporary PVC pipe. I don't get much wind and I never see it sway really and so rain gauge isn't affected. The Telepole is still in the box in my garage. I'll get around to it soon.

BTW - I wasn't trying to be convincing with the photoshop image, I said so in the post. It was just for fun and because I didn't have a good video image. It also sensationalized the incident as most YouTubers do with click bait thumbnails. So I was going for that angle. I'm not monetizing the video. Again it was just for fun.

So nobody wants to talk about the bird? That is the first evidence I've seen of a bird on a WS-2902-ARRAY.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 08:27:34 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
Damn, that's unlucky.
Must be an Osprey!

We have plenty of raptors flying around here but they prefer to stay high and dive on their unsuspecting prey, very rare to see them at ground level or perched.
G1ZFO

Ecowitt HP2551A + WH65 Tri-Wing (Wunderground: IGUILDFO67)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Wunderground: IGUILDFO68)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Mk2) test environment driving CumulusMX on a RPi 3b
Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)
Ecowitt WS90 Wittboy - Test
Ecowitt WH51 (x6) Soil Moisture Sensor
Ecowitt WH41 PM2.5 AQM Sensor
Ecowitt WH31 (x8) Thermo/Hygro Sensor
Ecowitt WS80 Ultrasonic Anemometer (pre-prod test)
Ecowitt WH57 Lightning Sensor -test
Ecowitt WH32-EP (SHT35) + Davis 7714 Screen
Ecowitt WH45 CO2/PM2.5/PM10 -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Soil Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Water Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN35 Leaf Moisture

Offline WA4OPQ

• Forecaster
  • 4 stations: 2902 array, GW1000, 3 on Meteobridge
I have to say that I'm rather disappointed with Ambient Weather.
The Ambient 2902 birdspikes are now back in stock.
But the price has been raised from $5.99 to $14.49  (but with free shipping)
Fortunately Ecowitt has them for $8.99
Just another reason to send more of my business to Ecowitt
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 07:25:56 PM by WA4OPQ »

Offline etaf

• Contributor
    • PWS - ewittW8686etaf
i know this is an old thread, but thought I would post my situation
we have a lot of birds in our garden, encouraged with various bird feeders & a few trees. We often get birds on trim along top of conservatory, all areas of the bungalow roof, anything that they can stand on really
Having looked into getting a Davis Vue I saw they had bird spikes, and so I thought that would be a good idea to have a detoriant.
Following some advice here, i added some tie-wraps