Author Topic: Signal strength changed  (Read 411 times)

Offline hdtvluvr

• Senior Contributor
Signal strength changed
« on: October 09, 2018, 09:54:08 AM »
Currently have a 5 in 1 weather station.  Using the new Access receiver.  The signal strength has been Excellent since installation but is now Low for some reason.  Battery strength is reading normal and are lithium AA cells that were installed the day I added the remote battery box to the 5 in 1 and changed the Hub to the Access.  This was a couple months ago.

Nothing has changed between the 5 in 1 and the Access.  No trees, nothing.  There is only the house roof between the 5 in1  and the Access as it always has been.  That was the location of the Hub as well. 

Now I'm getting Loss of Signal a couple times a night and can only contribute it to the Low signal.   Any ideas?

Offline davefr

• Senior Contributor
Re: Signal strength changed
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 10:13:29 AM »
First of all, how are you measuring signal strength? I'd suggest using signal strength as reported by the Access hub by accessing it's IP address from a web browser.  That indicator seems to be pretty close to real time as opposed to the signal strength bars on the Myacurite dashboard that do not appear to be real time. (delayed or rolling average???)

Now make some small adjustments to the location of the Access hub.  Move it around, lay in on it's side, point it in various directions.  I've found that small changes can have a big impact on signal strength. (even as small as a few inches).  I don't know what else to suggest.  Maybe you're experiencing some interference from something else in the area.

RF can drive a person nuts at times.  It seems to be about 50% science and 50% luck. My solution was adding an external antenna which has made it rock solid.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 10:34:02 AM by davefr »

Offline hdtvluvr

• Senior Contributor
Re: Signal strength changed
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 06:17:53 PM »
Went to the web address of the Access and did a restart.  Signal is "4" on the webpage and 3 bars (Strong) on MyAcurite.

Thanks!