Author Topic: Home weather station for n00b  (Read 1001 times)

Offline Marmarfanfan

Home weather station for n00b
« on: April 10, 2018, 04:36:47 AM »
Hi All!! Iím a newbie in home weather station who read a lot onlines just within this week or so. I decided to get involve and buy myself a home weather station for fun and educational purposes for my 5 years old daughter and myself. Thinking of most price:value combo
Requirement:
- Able to view nearly real time data (wind, rain & temp) on iPad wherever with internet access perhaps thur Weather Underground.
Product selections:
1) Davis Instruments 6250 Vantage Vue Wireless Weather Station
- one of the best product for home user but seem it doesnít get me online without turn on pc 24/7 (too expensive as I donít need the monitor)
2) AcuRite 01014M Weather Station with AcuRite Access (cheapest way to get online without pc?)
Apart from Davis 6250, just crazy thought, can I buy the outdoor Davis module (is it Davis 6357??) and Meteobridge (is it a hardware push Davisí signal to the internet?) without purchasing the Davis monitor?! If itís possible it seem the most price:value option. Please help for product selection!! Thanks in advance!!

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
Re: Home weather station for n00b
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 08:43:35 AM »
With the Davis, you could get a Weatherlink IP logger that connects to your router. It does use Ethernet and is not WiFi. Your data could be sent directly to Davis Weatherlink and you could view it there. (I am using Weatherlink 1.0 since I have had it for a while, but new purchases of WLIP will get you on to the 2.0 version. See https://www.davisnet.com/weatherlink/#wlpricing

For meteobridge, it would need to be the RED "Pro" version, which has the data radio receiver built in. This is available from ambient weather. It costs quite a bit though. This option does have WiFI (I don't use it) and Ethernet both. They call it "weatherbridge": https://www.ambientweather.com/amweatherbridgepro.html

The Davis WLIP will indirectly upload (via Davis) to WU and CWOP, not real time. The meteobridge will upload to a variety of services, including ftp to your own web site hosting servers.

I have no experience with the AcuRite 01014M Weather Station with AcuRite Access, but there are other forum members that are into AcuRite and might give you some advice for that system.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline Marmarfanfan

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 09:02:29 PM »
Thanks so much miraculon!! I checked your suggested combos and it seem like the full set gear is approx $600up right?! Canít get any cheaper right?!

Just found out another option in one of the Acurite forum:
Acurite 01538HD at $100 with consule that feed wifi single thur router to weather underground directly. Itís tempting!!!
Anyone had experience with the product?!

Online davefr

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 03:27:13 PM »

Apart from Davis 6250, just crazy thought, can I buy the outdoor Davis module (is it Davis 6357??) and Meteobridge (is it a hardware push Davisí signal to the internet?) without purchasing the Davis monitor?! If itís possible it seem the most price:value option. Please help for product selection!! Thanks in advance!!

Just be aware that the Davis 1000' wireless range is from their sensor to their console.  If you try to go from the Davis sensor to Weatherbridge the range drops to 300' best case. (which is probably like 100-150' in real life).

Online Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2018, 04:48:31 PM »
Or just wait a bit for the upcoming WifiLogger that obviates the need for a bridge of any sort.