Author Topic: What choices do I have  (Read 1757 times)

Offline racerfern

What choices do I have
« on: January 06, 2018, 10:27:38 AM »
I have an old and dying WS-1080 station with a WS-1090 display connected via USB to my PC. The barometer doesn't work on the station and the indoor temperature doesn't work on the display. Actually, I'm not at all concerned about the indoor temp display. Additionally, I have Cumulus 1.94 to read the data coming in and from there it gets sent to my HomeSeer home automation system. All that works fairly well all things considered although the indoor display is getting more difficult to use as even the touch sensitivity is iffy.

I am considering a new station but want to keep my PC connection and not spend a bunch of money (<$200??). I really don't like the idea of sending data to some cloud just to get it back for use in my home, as that's what it seems most of the newer systems do.

I did email ambient weather and their suggestion was a Davis 6250 and 6510 Weatherlink but that's almost $400 and to me it's not worth it at that price.

Can someone recommend a weather station with a PC connection right out of the box please. I will have to separate the temp sensor from the rest of the sensors to protect if from direct sun. Other than that I'm open to all suggestions. Thanks!

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
Re: What choices do I have
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 12:47:25 PM »
No help here I can't recommend any <$200 weather station. All I can do is recommend saving and purchase the aspirated VP2 down the road and you will be much happier.
Randy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 03:15:22 PM »
I will have to separate the temp sensor from the rest of the sensors to protect if from direct sun.
Why waste your hard earned money on a PWS you can't even put in the sun. I'd do like Randy above say's and save up for something of quality. You'll thank yourself later.

Offline racerfern

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 03:30:56 PM »
I "assumed" the temp sensor needed to be out of direct sunlight so as not to be fooled. It has nothing to do with the inability to survive in the sun, or so I thought. You're saying a VP2 can have its temp sensor right alongside the anemometer and not be affected? That would certainly make it easier and make me think harder.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 04:09:53 PM »
I "assumed" the temp sensor needed to be out of direct sunlight so as not to be fooled. It has nothing to do with the inability to survive in the sun, or so I thought. You're saying a VP2 can have its temp sensor right alongside the anemometer and not be affected? That would certainly make it easier and make me think harder.
A true weather station belongs in the sun, that's what a radiation shield is for. There are very good ones and very bad ones. The aspirated VP2's radiation shield is one of the best in the business, mines been out in the Az. sun for 10 years and the readings are very, very accurate with an SHT31 sensor.

Offline benay ra'am

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 07:36:58 AM »
I have an old and dying WS-1080 station with a WS-1090 display connected via USB to my PC. The barometer doesn't work on the station and the indoor temperature doesn't work on the display. Actually, I'm not at all concerned about the indoor temp display. Additionally, I have Cumulus 1.94 to read the data coming in and from there it gets sent to my HomeSeer home automation system. All that works fairly well all things considered although the indoor display is getting more difficult to use as even the touch sensitivity is iffy.

I am considering a new station but want to keep my PC connection and not spend a bunch of money (<$200??). I really don't like the idea of sending data to some cloud just to get it back for use in my home, as that's what it seems most of the newer systems do.

I did email ambient weather and their suggestion was a Davis 6250 and 6510 Weatherlink but that's almost $400 and to me it's not worth it at that price.

Can someone recommend a weather station with a PC connection right out of the box please. I will have to separate the temp sensor from the rest of the sensors to protect if from direct sun. Other than that I'm open to all suggestions. Thanks!

You really get what you paid for in Weather Stations. Buy once, Cry once and don't forget Customer support and Tech Support.....................

CoCoRaHS: NC-JH-80