Author Topic: Inspection mirror to assist in reading snowboard depth.  (Read 2216 times)

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
Inspection mirror to assist in reading snowboard depth.
« on: March 08, 2017, 08:54:40 AM »
I have a General 80560 mirror that I bought for checking the conditions (snow, leaves, etc.) in my VP2 funnel.

For reading snow depth for CoCoRaHS, I know that there is a parallax error if you don't get your eye close to the ruler where it is into the snow on the snowboard, but I am not keen on getting wet knees to really get down there.

It occurred to me this morning that maybe the mirror could be used to get a better view of the snow scale. It worked great and I could see the gradations quite well when I placed the mirror close to the snow. I think I'll do this from now on. I thought that I would pass this on as a 'hint'.

The mirror telescopes out quite a ways, but is not shown in the picture. Any similar mirror would work, it would not need to be this one.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
Re: Inspection mirror to assist in reading snowboard depth.
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 08:59:11 AM »
Looks like a selfie stick! In any event,  I like your idea of using it to view leaves etc. in my VP2 rain collector rather than getting a ladder out, causing my dog to bark (I think he barks to remind me to be careful as I might get hurt)! Where can a person buy such a mirror?
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 09:27:18 AM »
I think I got it from the local Ace Hardware, but it is available on Amazon. I might look for a non-illuminated one for this snowboard purpose. I am a little concerned about snow and moisture getting inside that LED switch...  :-k

Greg H.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 09:39:03 AM »
I just ordered this magnifying one that telescopes. I ordered it from Amazon. The General one works, but this one doesn't have any electrical stuff to go bad...

Plus the magnifier might help.

MAG-MATE 316M Telescoping Glass 3X Magnifier Mirror, 36.5"

https://www.magnetics.com/product.asp?ProductID=54

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019WDT6B4

Greg H.

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 10:10:36 PM »
I just ordered this magnifying one that telescopes. I ordered it from Amazon. The General one works, but this one doesn't have any electrical stuff to go bad...

Plus the magnifier might help.

MAG-MATE 316M Telescoping Glass 3X Magnifier Mirror, 36.5"

https://www.magnetics.com/product.asp?ProductID=54

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019WDT6B4

Greg H.

I ordered this yesterday and got it today from Zoro. About $25. Seems worth the money. Not worth the wait of two months if ordering from Amazon!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 10:16:34 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 08:37:42 AM »
The Mag-Mate mirror came yesterday and I used it this morning. I like the magnification. This works great, I'll never have to crouch down in the snow again. (or get parallax errors)

Greg H.