Author Topic: Meteorological spring 2017 (official thread)  (Read 8476 times)

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
Meteorological spring 2017 (official thread)
« on: February 25, 2017, 03:56:30 PM »
This thread starts March 1.
Randy

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
Re: Meteorological spring 2017 (official thread)
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 04:04:40 PM »
Gettin ancy Randy :-)
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 04:08:36 PM »

Yes very . Winter gets a little long and we had a taste of spring last week. Can't wait now.
Randy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 04:20:13 PM »

Yes very . Winter gets a little long and we had a taste of spring last week. Can't wait now.
Me too. Tired of the 60's. ;)

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 04:25:31 PM »

Me too. Tired of the 60's. ;)

I had a few 60's even 75.  :roll:
Randy

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 04:58:16 PM »
Spring an long ways off yet.  Love this cool time of the year. no bitter cold  yet not overly hot.

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 05:06:08 PM »
Just wondering....

is this forum/thread only for users from the Northern hemisphere? ;)

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2017, 05:06:58 PM »
Spring an long ways off yet.

Oh! No, sorry...Just 3 more full days of winter.
Randy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2017, 05:07:59 PM »
Just wondering....

Yes, we need another thread for down under.
Randy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2017, 05:28:59 PM »
Just wondering....

There was an Aussie who posted here not long ago. UU

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2017, 05:32:33 PM »
and we also need additional two threads for "general public" for whom spring/fall begins at equinox

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2017, 05:45:25 PM »
I'm all for pushing the meteorological seasons which by far is most accurate in what weather to expect. Yes there will be spring and fall snowstorms but even the characteristics are different. Ground is much warmer snows are wetter accompanied by severe weather in the states many times.
Randy

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2017, 05:51:01 PM »
Absolutely right.

In fact I have in the works a plugin which apart from others calculates exactly this.

What it does is it divides the year into all possible 92 consecutive day combinations (i.e. 1 Jan - 2 Apr, 2 Jan - 4 Apr etc etc.) Then, it finds the coldest and warmest 92 consecutive days and it averages this out for all the years, which in a sense gives you the "real station winter/summer".

Once it is out it will be interesting to see what people get for this. So far I only tried it on my data and it turned out that on my station, the summer is shifted by 4 days compared to the meteorological summer towards the end of year (starting on 4 Jun) and winter it is the opposite. It starts earlier, but only by 2 days (29 Nov). So overall very close to meteorological seasons.

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2017, 03:33:44 PM »
Oh! No, sorry...Just 3 more full days of winter.

It far from spring when you still hit 40 below like I have seen here even after march 21  has come and gone.

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2017, 01:41:51 PM »
0730 this morning we hit 35 below. That an long ways from spring ti.e temps.

John

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2017, 07:37:58 AM »
You guys are illustrating the reason the railroads moved to standardized time two centuries ago.  Similarly the seasons have been standardized so people will have a common frame of reference.  Pseudo-seasons might be interesting from an isolated perspective, but they are quite useless unless identified as such in any conversation.  My 'Spring' has yet to arrive. :-)
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2017, 02:44:41 PM »
Special Weather Statement
Special Weather Statement
National Weather Service Fairbanks AK
420 PM AKST Thu Mar 2 2017

AKZ218>226-040130-
Southeastern Brooks Range-Upper Koyukuk Valley-
Yukon Flats and Surrounding Uplands-Central Interior-
Middle Tanana Valley-Deltana and Tanana Flats-
Upper Tanana Valley and the Fortymile Country-Denali-
Eastern Alaska Range-
Including Arctic Village, Wiseman, Coldfoot, Chandalar DOT Camp,
Iniakuk Lake, Allakaket, Hughes, Bettles, Caribou Mountain,
Gobblers Knob, Fort Yukon, Venetie, Central, Circle,
Stevens Village, Beaver, Chalkyitsik, Birch Creek,
Circle Hot Springs, Eagle Summit, Twelvemile Summit, Nenana,
Anderson, Tanana, Minto, Manley Hot Springs, Rampart,
Lake Minchumina, Livengood, Fairbanks, Fort Wainwright,
Eielson AFB, Ester, North Pole, Moose Creek, Two Rivers, Fox,
Chatanika, Chena Hot Springs, Sourdough Camp, Salcha,
Delta Junction, Fort Greely, Harding/Birch Lake, Dry Creek,
Dot Lake, Healy Lake, Tok, Tanacross, Eagle, Tetlin, Northway,
Alcan, Chicken, Boundary, Healy, Denali National Park,
Carlo Creek, Kantishna, Mentasta Lake, Black Rapids,
Donnelly Dome, Trims DOT Camp, Eagle Trail, and Mineral Lake
420 PM AKST Thu Mar 2 2017

...INTERIOR WEEKEND OUTLOOK...

A slight warming trend this weekend with snow falling across the
area, then cooling back down Monday.

A weak weather system will move into the interior this weekend
spreading some light snow to most areas. Snowfall amounts will be
up to 2 inches.

With the snow will come warmer temperatures through Sunday with
lows in the teens below and highs 5 to 10 above.

Once the skies start clearing Sunday evening much colder air will
push into the area and temperatures will fall dramatically Sunday
night to 25 to 40 below by Monday morning. Temperatures will
remain on the cool side with highs zero to 10 below Monday.
Similar temperatures can be expected Tuesday.

For the latest forecasts go to www.weather.gov/fairbanks

$$

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2017, 07:42:01 PM »
From a relatively cold winter we moved to spring very quickly. Today was the warmest day so far this year and from tomorrow it should get colder again.

Absolute records for Mar 4 have been broken today at 22 stations, including the one here in Brno, with a day max of 18.4 C (65F). Daily temperature range is relatively large, which is normal at this time of the year. At night it still freezes

Already miss winter....

Offline EastFrisianGuy

• Private Weather Station Bremerhaven
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2017, 08:08:27 PM »
Same here yesterday, my station had a high of 14.1°C (58°F) which was a new record for the day, officially we hit exactly 14.0°C. This is also only one degree (C) shy of the record high for a 4th March. And this was with a mainly cloudy sky, in fact we had some cloud structures which reminded me already on summer season, just prior to a thunderstorm.

Winter was dull in terms of snow here, we had only one day (February 11th) were we had a thin snow cover of 1-2 cm which lasted over 24 hours (so even less than an inch).
Before that we had three occasions of snow in January where the sidewalks were barely covered for a few hours- and because of that, i finally had enough and decided to spent a weekend in the mountains, to enjoy walking in the snow and also do some cross-country skiing. 

There is still a chance that we could get a late cold outbreak in mid or even late March though and i'm pressing my thumbs for that. :D
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 08:15:02 PM by EastFrisianGuy »

Best Regards

Georg

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2017, 08:16:50 PM »
It snowed at the end of December here, about 2-3 days of several heavier snow spells and then followed by exceptionally cold January, when the temp was below freezing point practically all the time, so even though it did not snow at all in January and it was quite a lot below the avg in terms of precipitation, we had snow on ground non-stop from 27 Dec to after second week of February when it finally got warmer and it melt.

Also the soil temperature was very low. The soil froze 50-100cm deep, which is very unusual, third most in the last 80 years. Gravediggers had a major problem.

Then last week of Feb it got much warmer and today we broke the record, but as I mentioned, because it was sunny and remained clear after sunset, the temperature drops down very quickly. Next week we should be around 10C (50F) in terms of day max and about 0C (32F) at night, more or less average at this time of the year.

I also think it will still get colder later in March. It usually is like this. It gets warm very quickly and then colder again. 2 yrs ago we had 24C in the third week of March and 10cm of snow in April :D

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2017, 08:46:13 PM »
Roller coaster ride next 7 days, northern Nebraska  40's-60's...

Winter was below normal slightly Dec, Jan, but +4 Feb and has stayed treading up going toward spring so far.

Mean
Dec. 19.2°  (-7.1c)
Jan. 21.9°   (-5.6c)
Feb. 31.2°  (-.38c)

Total snowfall 45" this season.
Randy

Offline EastFrisianGuy

• Private Weather Station Bremerhaven
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2017, 08:49:54 PM »
It snowed at the end of December here, about 2-3 days of several heavier snow spells and then followed by exceptionally cold January, when the temp was below freezing point practically all the time, so even though it did not snow at all in January and it was quite a lot below the avg in terms of precipitation, we had snow on ground non-stop from 27 Dec to after second week of February when it finally got warmer and it melt.

Also the soil temperature was very low. The soil froze 50-100cm deep, which is very unusual, third most in the last 80 years. Gravediggers had a major problem.

Then last week of Feb it got much warmer and today we broke the record, but as I mentioned, because it was sunny and remained clear after sunset, the temperature drops down very quickly. Next week we should be around 10C (50F) in terms of day max and about 0C (32F) at night, more or less average at this time of the year.

I also think it will still get colder later in March. It usually is like this. It gets warm very quickly and then colder again. 2 yrs ago we had 24C in the third week of March and 10cm of snow in April :D

January was only little below average here up North. Southern Germany must have felt like a freezer though, they had minimums between -10 and -20°C almost every night in January and also several ice days. Here we had four ice days in January and February and an absolute minimum of -8.5°C (16°F) on my station, respectively -7.1°C on our offical station of the German Weather Service, which is very close to the shore of the Weser River.

Usually we see two digit negative temps (°C) here only every few years, last time this happened was 2014. Even though i started recording temperatures already back in 2006, my January record low is still just -12.1°C (10°F), recorded in the exceptionally cold January of 2010 when the monthly mean was around -3°C (27°F), and the absolute low is -15.2°C (5°F) recorded in February 2012, which was also a rather cold and dry month here. If i would record temperatures in Fahrenheit, i would probably see negative values here maybe every 20 years or so.. :-P

Wild temperature swings can also sometimes happen here in spring, i just remember riding in shorts and sleeves on March 25th 2010 when we had 22°C (72°F), with the trees still being bare after the long cold winter of 2009/2010 and on the day after, it was raining heavily with just 6°C (43°F) in the afternoon. Or just last year, a late severe cold outbreak with snow towards the end of the month while in the beginning of the month, we had our first 20 degrees (C) days. 

Best Regards

Georg

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2017, 08:52:09 PM »
Our Jan this year was -7.1 country average :D

However last few years similar deviations were quite common in the summer. In 2015, August was +7 , with a 3-week lasting heat wave, temps every day above 35C (95F), which is very unusual, sometimes even close to 40C (105F).

And in my flat, with no A/C, I remember the temperature did not get below 30C (86F) even during night for two weeks straight.

Winter is fine, I enjoyed this January.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2017, 08:55:39 PM »

January was only little below average here up North. Southern Germany must have felt like a freezer though, they had minimums between -10 and -20°C almost every night in January and also several ice days. Here we had four ice days in January and February and an absolute minimum of -8.5°C (16°F) on my station, respectively -7.1°C on our offical station of the German Weather Service, which is very close to the shore of the Weser River.

Usually we see two digit negative temps (°C) here only every few years, last time this happened was 2014. Even though i started recording temperatures already back in 2006, my January record low is still just -12.1°C (10°F), recorded in the exceptionally cold January of 2010 when the monthly mean was around -3°C (27°F), and the absolute low is -15.2°C (5°F) recorded in February 2012, which was also a rather cold and dry month here. If i would record temperatures in Fahrenheit, i would probably see negative values here maybe every 20 years or so.. :-P

Wild temperature swings can also sometimes happen here in spring, i just remember riding in shorts and sleeves on March 25th 2010 when we had 22°C (72°F), with the trees still being bare after the long cold winter of 2009/2010 and on the day after, it was raining heavily with just 6°C (43°F) in the afternoon. Or just last year, a late severe cold outbreak with snow towards the end of the month while in the beginning of the month, we had our first 20 degrees (C) days.

Yes I remember that, Feb 2012... we had 5 so-called Arctic days, daily max below -10C (14F), very rare for where I live, I live in one of the warmest parts of the country. Up in the mountains even -35C (-31F) is not uncommon.

This yr I had min of around -17 to -18C (0F). This is still not so rare. It can get down to -20C (-5F) here, but the unusual thing this January was that it was from 1st to 31st... freezing all the time. These very cold nights were 3 or 4, but we had temperatures below -10C (14F) basically every day.

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2017, 12:34:04 AM »
Since  October we had only 5 days above 32 F (0 C ). About another month of  cold then it will start to warm up. Break up comes mid to late April.

anything