Author Topic: Battery Life for WS-1090  (Read 2063 times)

Offline pitosalas

Battery Life for WS-1090
« on: July 12, 2013, 09:48:37 AM »
I've had my weather station for about 3 years. I've always used  lithium batteries.

It seems that lately the batteries are lasting less and less time.

Could it be some kind of degradation in the device (i.e. oxidation etc.)
Could it be that the batteries were not fresh (and have a relatively short shelf life?)
Could it be moisture or something?

Is there any theory that seems likely and also do you know of a way to remediate the problem? Thanks!

Pito

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Re: Battery Life for WS-1090
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 10:40:11 AM »
I'd check for any corrosion build up on the battery contacts (as you mentioned) and clean it off. Probably good to check the RJ-11 connections as well.

The amount of wireless transmission activity between the thermo/hygro and the base console can have an influence on battery life. Have you re-positioned or added any possible sources of interference nearby that could cause the station link to drop in and out (WiFi router, Radio/TV, wireless telephone, etc.)?  The increase in transmissions (to re-establish the link) will drain the batteries faster.

For the console, turning on alerts/alarms can have an effect on console battery life.

edit: Welcome to the forum!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 10:47:48 AM by DanS »

Offline pitosalas

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 01:33:54 PM »
Thanks!

I will check for corrosion over the battery contacts.

I've had the RJ11 connection bagged in a plastic bag but didn't put the 'putty' over them like some recommend so I will check those too.

By the way I am up in Boston where the weather can be severe.

What do you think about the 'shelf life' of the batteries? Seems to me that the last 2 sets I put in (that didn't last that long) had been in an unopened package for several months. Might they just have died of their own accord?

Finally, is there a more state-of-the art system now, 3 years later, in the general home-hobbyist price range, with a solar panel, that I should consider?

Thanks again for your quick reply!

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 01:59:18 PM »
Define "general home-hobbyist price range".  Next price range up is Acurite then up from there the Davis Vue.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline pitosalas

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 05:58:22 PM »
Acurite looks really nice!

Btw any reason to expect it to do better on battery life? Any other ways to power these babies?

Thanks!

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 07:08:40 PM »
Acurite looks really nice!

Btw any reason to expect it to do better on battery life? Any other ways to power these babies?

Thanks!

With my LaCrosse ws2810 the mfr spec's battery life of 2 years. Well I guess they pick the component that runs the longest time and use that for the spec sheet. The rain gauge is still on it's original batteries since Dec. 2009. Met spec alright. However, the T/H runs for about a year, tops, and the console maybe 7 or 8 months at best. I decided to add a wall-wart power pack to the console (plugged into a UPS) to get around swapping console batteries out so often.