Author Topic: AmbientWeather.net Hosting Service for ObserverIP Series  (Read 9519 times)

Offline sinan0310

Re: AmbientWeather.net Hosting Service for ObserverIP Series
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2017, 08:19:33 AM »
I have the same problem on my ws 1200
WU ID: IISTANBU111

Offline billybob

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2017, 09:42:17 AM »
Thanks for the response Ed. Yeah it was my mistake on ambientweather.net . It updates once a minute but resets the connection after every successful connection. WU is every minute on the dot so I think it is software related. Some logs for you 52.25.21.79 is WU and 192.241.218.77 is ambientweather
13:05:49 TCP 192.168.0.20:6010 → 192.241.218.77 :80 [SYN] len=44   ttl=254   
13:06:01 TCP 192.168.0.20:7201 → 52.25.21.79       :80 [SYN] len=44   ttl=254
13:06:19 TCP 192.168.0.20:6010 → 192.241.218.77 :80 [ACK RST] len=40 ttl=254
13:06:49 TCP 192.168.0.20:7010 → 192.241.218.77 :80 [SYN] len=44   ttl=254
13:07:01 TCP 192.168.0.20:8201 → 52.25.21.79       :80 [SYN] len=44   ttl=254   
13:07:19 TCP 192.168.0.20:7010 → 192.241.218.77 :80 [ACK RST]len=40 ttl=254
13:07:49 TCP 192.168.0.20:13010 →192.241.218.77:80 [SYN] len=44   ttl=254
13:08:01 TCP 192.168.0.20:14201 → 52.25.21.79     :80 [SYN] len=44   ttl=254
Regards
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 09:55:07 AM by billybob »

Offline adzam

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2017, 01:40:51 AM »
I am seeing increased 1min intervals to WU as well.  Both of my weather stations on currently the 4.0.8 firmware. 

I will say the new beta site is great!!!

Offline dolfs

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2017, 04:22:04 AM »
See my remarks in another thread.

Ed: I disagree with that description of WU.com updates. I have extensively tested (with my own code) that updates to WU.com can be made in a matter of 1-3 seconds. I have also confirmed, through network sniffing, that my ObserverIP (OIP) completes the request and receives the response within that time frame (rare exceptions noted). In fact, the OIP software even closes the connection with a FIN/ACK FIN/ACK sequence interchange with WU.com immediately after receiving the response, so still within 1-3 seconds.

I have a good and relatively fast connection, but WU's ability to respond that quickly proves that longer delays are almost for sure a function of either network performance (i.e. unrelated to the ObserverIP firmware), or a bug in the ObserverIP code. The former may well be the case for users with a slower connection and larger geographical distance to WU.com servers, but will in most cases still take less than 5-10 seconds.

With respect to the latter (bug), I have communicated about this to you and the tech team extensively. Part of the problem is that the connection reset (RST packet) that not only should not (need to) be sent, is also not sent until some 18 or so seconds after the response from WU.com has been received. The small network trace posted by @billybob shows that delay (although it does not show the time of receipt of the response, but my own network traces do), and I have extensively communicated detailed network traces about this over the past several weeks.

I am convinced there is a bug in the code that causes this delay because for some reason or other the RST is not requested until the next scheduled update interval (which as noted was always around 15 seconds). Meanwhile (because it has to hold on to the network connection session to be able to issue the RST), it effectively blocks a new update from going out. Changing the update interval to 1 minute works around this problem, because by then the RST has taken place and the session has been freed up for re-use, but results in an update frequency less than originally implemented, and for some less than desired. Again, the other thread I referenced has a little more detail on this. The other key issue is that the issuance of the RST is incorrect with respect to documented TCP protocol (because a FIN/FIN sequence has already taken place, and no data was left in send or receive buffers).

Because of this change of update interval it is not the case, as you state, that WU.com is still updated once every 14 seconds, it is now once every 60 seconds (hard coded). It is correct that any AW.net updates are not affected by this. What is also correct is that indoor and outdoor sensor packages are still read-out approximately every 15 seconds, so sensor values are never older than that.
--dolf

Ambient WS-1400-IP + MeteoBridge

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2017, 01:34:39 PM »
I am redirecting my ObserverIp to a computer on my network. I have the code below  in a PHP program to grab the data for other uses.

//Read string and echo back to ObserverIP.  'success' which will turn on the server light.
 $wunderground = file_get_contents("http://rtupdate.wunderground.com/weatherstation/updateweatherstation.php?" . $_SERVER['QUERY_STRING']);
 echo $wunderground;

When looking at my station on WU, "Station reported" are mostly between 5 and 15 seconds.

I am convinced there is a bug in the code that causes this delay because for some reason or other the RST is not requested until the next scheduled update interval (which as noted was always around 15 seconds). Meanwhile (because it has to hold on to the network connection session to be able to issue the RST), it effectively blocks a new update from going out.
This "Man in the middle" might correct the connection reset (RST packet) that Dolfs is seeing.

I am on ObserverIP firmware 3.0.8
Davis VP2 6163 | WiFi Logger
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline dolfs

« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2017, 01:59:57 PM »
The RST is now seen by the server you redirect to. Your server does not present it to WU. Being on 3.0.8 seeing a much smaller interval is expected as it was smaller on that version.
--dolf

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2017, 02:39:12 PM »
Ok, let me update to 4.0.8 and see what happens. Not sure when this will be, schedule a bit hectic at the moment.
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline ambientweather

• Contributor
    • Ambient Weather
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2017, 02:53:18 PM »
Stay tuned. Version 4.0.10 is coming soon to resolve this and other issues with the great help of Dolf.

Offline bthoven

• Europa Cafe' Private Observatory
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2017, 09:56:21 PM »
Will 4.0.10 have an option to choose destination server, apart from wunderground? Or atleast still allow us to telnet to it and use setdsthn command to redirect the traffic to my own server?

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2017, 09:26:49 PM »
Will 4.0.10 have an option to choose destination server, apart from wunderground?

I am in the same boat, redirecting ObserverIP to a computer so I can have direct access to the data.
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline bthoven

• Europa Cafe' Private Observatory
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2017, 02:09:56 AM »
Just upgrade from 3.1.8 to 4.1.11, reset the observer ip.

The Ambient Weather Network update interval always resets itself to no update. Please fix...thanks.

FYI, I set static address for my ObserverIP.

Offline arlowx

« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2017, 08:33:21 PM »
Can someone shed some light on the "Hourly Rain" graph?

This appears to me to be a rain rate graph but doesn't show an accumulated total.

Offline dolfs

« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2017, 09:05:51 PM »
The graph shows the amount of rain that has fallen in the past 60 minutes. So if it does not rain at all, then rains at a uniform rate for 10 minutes, and then stops again, you will see a graph that is flat at zero until the rain starts. You will then see it go up until the rain stops, and then, over the next 60 minutes it will come down to zero again. For uniform rain rate it should look like a triangle type shape. That's why it got the name "Hourly rain" (on ambientweather.net). If it were the rain like that for exactly 60 minutes, the peak value would be equal to the rain rate, so for 10 minutes it would only equal one sixth of that.

Most people that think of "Rain/Rate" expect to see a graph of amount of rain per unit of time (typically an hour). Most weather stations measure this over a relatively small period and it is then scaled to what it would be per hour. It then resembles an approximation of instantaneous rain rate. For the same example you would see a flat graph, then shooting from 0 to the uniform rate number, staying there for 10 minutes, and then abruptly failing to zero.

Counterintuitively, wunderground.com labels a graph "Precip. Rate (in)". What it actually shows, however is not a rate, but rather the same things as "Hourly Rain", so the name is wrong, or at the very least deceptive. Perhaps the giveaway is also that it says "(in)" instead of "(in/hr)", as expected for a true "rate". It does also show an accumulated amount of rain since midnight, which ambientweather.net does not show.

If you check out the API definitions for wunderground.com you'll find that it indeed wants the "rain in the last 60 minutes" and not a rate. However, if you somehow send data corresponding to the rain rate coming out of your station, it will graph that as expected (for a while I was doing exactly that until somebody pointed out to me that wunderground wants the hourly rain, as per documentation).

Personally I find that rate more interesting as it tells you, in a more direct way, how hard it is coming down at any specific time, but alas...
--dolf

Offline StoRmtec

« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2017, 12:26:29 PM »
Hello
I have update to Firmware 4.1.11 and i cant connect to the observer. Only 3 Leds a flicking. Please help me what can i do????????

Thx

Offline dchbrown

« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2017, 06:08:31 PM »
New owner here - v4.1.2 firmware and everytime i set the update to ambientweather it resets to "no update"

Any ideas on what the problem is or how it could be fixed?

Offline dolfs

« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2017, 06:51:03 PM »
This works correctly for me in 4.1.2. I know this to have been a problem in an older version. Can you include some screenshots of your "Weather Network" screen set as you want it, and then as it shows after you switch to another tab and come back? Make sure you include the full page, including the top banner and version number.
--dolf

Offline MrM1

• North Central Florida
  • Contributor
    • Bethel Weather
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2017, 11:07:13 PM »
I wonder it it is possible (or have you seen a way after being on the dash board site) to embed this dashboard on another web site, ie. a personal or business web site?  Is there a box for copying HTML code for embedding?

Offline dchbrown

« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2017, 02:49:51 AM »
This works correctly for me in 4.1.2. I know this to have been a problem in an older version. Can you include some screenshots of your "Weather Network" screen set as you want it, and then as it shows after you switch to another tab and come back? Make sure you include the full page, including the top banner and version number.

I have included them in the other thread specifically about this issue.

Thanks

Offline dolfs

« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2017, 02:58:22 AM »
The only remaining thing I can think of is to ask whether or not you have already registered/added your device with ambient weather.net (using the mac address). Possibly if you have not and the upload fails, it shuts itself off. Don't know though.

I'll alert the Fine Offset engineering team of this thread.
--dolf

Offline dchbrown

« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2017, 03:15:48 AM »
Thank you for your help with this.

I do have an account registered, and have the device added to it.
I have just tried removing the device - and it doesnt save on the local weather network settings.
I have just added the device back in - and it doesnt save on the local weather network settings.

Thanks.

Offline ambientweather

• Contributor
    • Ambient Weather
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2017, 11:07:49 AM »
Greetings

If you have a non-branded Ambient Weather product (like Malpin), our server recognizes this and turns off the timer. This is because we offer the AmbientWeather.net as a free service to Ambient Weather Branded products only. If you own a third party weather station, it will not work.

Regards,

Ed

Offline ronmis

« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2017, 04:53:34 PM »
Can y'all change the water in the Rainfall section to Blue instead of Grey?

Thanks,
Rohan

Offline sinan0310

« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2017, 05:43:36 PM »
Still one minute wind update

Also I see ws 1600, what is that?

Offline sinan0310

« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2017, 07:18:13 PM »
Anyone else has v3.1.8 or v3.1.6 for ipobserver ambient 1400-1200? Can someone upload and send me?

Offline jaxuk

« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2019, 09:06:54 AM »
Greetings

If you have a non-branded Ambient Weather product (like Malpin), our server recognizes this and turns off the timer. This is because we offer the AmbientWeather.net as a free service to Ambient Weather Branded products only. If you own a third party weather station, it will not work.

Regards,

Ed

Ed,

Are there any plans to change this? I have just purchased a Aercus WeatherSleuth (I could not find any  ambient weather versions available in Europe) thinking I would be able to use ambientweather.net

Thanks

anything