Author Topic: VP2 Siting Advice Needed  (Read 2753 times)

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
Re: VP2 Siting Advice Needed
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2018, 01:15:58 PM »
I think you should consider putting the VP2 closer to that north corner of the house, and then installing the anemometer on the side of the roof at the peak. You will have a better chance to clear obstructions.

Offline dport

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2018, 01:41:56 PM »
I think you should consider putting the VP2 closer to that north corner of the house, and then installing the anemometer on the side of the roof at the peak. You will have a better chance to clear obstructions.

That's not a bad idea.  I could just buy some extra cable and run it up the house.  My concern with that is how much sun is needed to charge the batteries in the VP2.  If I put on the north corner of the house, it would really only get sun before noon, and then the shadows from my house would take over. 

Edit:  I should caveat this.  During the summer the north corner of the house would still receive almost full sun throughout the day (if put near the fence).  The winter is a different story.  Low sun angle here in Dec/Jan would be an issue.  I sit right on the 40 degree parallel. 
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 02:22:20 PM by dport »

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2018, 03:55:44 PM »
You diggin' for worms? :-)
Better than feedin'em!
"Yes, officer, he disappeared soon after getting his weather station set up.  And yes, those flowers over there really are growing quiet well, aren't they?".....
:lol: Looks like that may come to fruition as he's apparently going to dig, and the wife will be  :twisted:.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2018, 05:03:08 PM »
  I'd also like to note that I have not yet told my wife about the new Davis (she is already annoyed at the Ambient in the backyard).  I just got married 5 months ago...hoping I stay married after this.

Have you considered humbly asking her for her advice, about where and how to mount the parts of the VP2?  And, of course, give her all of the tradeoffs, etc. etc.  And tell her you're doing this because she's annoyed about the Ambient.

[After the first place she tells you to stick it, that could be a helpful conversation]
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 05:05:20 PM by dalecoy »

Offline dport

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2018, 09:58:33 PM »
  I'd also like to note that I have not yet told my wife about the new Davis (she is already annoyed at the Ambient in the backyard).  I just got married 5 months ago...hoping I stay married after this.

Have you considered humbly asking her for her advice, about where and how to mount the parts of the VP2?  And, of course, give her all of the tradeoffs, etc. etc.  And tell her you're doing this because she's annoyed about the Ambient.

[After the first place she tells you to stick it, that could be a helpful conversation]

Yes, great thought, I think we are going to talk things over once the unit arrives here on Thursday.  I've told her the dimensions, but I still do not think she is aware of how big this is actually going to look in the yard.  Will keep an open mind to things once it arrives. 

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2018, 10:32:20 AM »
Btw, do you play any sports?  Football equipment and catcher's equipment (if you play baseball) could come in handy during that conversation.  If nothing else, maybe a motorcycle helmet? :lol:  Also, do you prefer sardines or viennas?  Don't forget the crackers and hot sauce.  It all comes in small packages that will fit well in a doghouse.

Short story...  Years ago, not long after my wife and I were married, she cooked a roast beef.  Well, the meat was a good bit on the "tough" side (not her fault, just a bad cut of meat).  Well, look at the roast on the serving platter and did the pulling-the-trigger motion with my finger (the one *not* to use in an airport or school) towards the roast.  Instant doghouse and an absence of roast beef in our house for YEARS!!!!!  Moral of the story, during the era of newlywed bliss think thrice before making any cute jokes about something that might really matter to your better-half.  Just sayin'.....

Btw, we laugh and joke about that instance now...almost 30 years later.  But, sometimes I wonder if she mentions it just to remind me to be on good behavior.  :grin:

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2018, 10:49:59 AM »
Most all of us "compromise" a small or large amount in regards to our station's placement.  I'm nowhere near 30' tall...most likely around 20'.  There's a clump of vitex negundo to the north of my ISS which most likely affects wind readings.  Etc.,.  What I have, though, is the most precise weather condition monitoring for my location that there is.  The airport might have more sophisticated equipment, but it's  8-9 miles from me and most likely didn't record the 1.5" downpour we got a couple of days ago.  You will be monitoring *your* environment and even the environment across the street can be much different from yours.  Even at 30' high, with all the structures and trees around you your station will still be affected by those buildings...funneled wind blowing between the houses, around corners, over the roofs and trees.  Nothing's perfect.  But generally you will be inline with most other stations around you...even if you anemometer isn't 30' high or your rain gauge isn't in the optimum location.  We can only do what we can do.  Do the best we can with the limitations facing us...but don't kill our selves in doing it...if it starts not being fun then you're trying too hard.  Though I joke about things, our wives trump any toys or hobbies that we may have.  Put her first and the rest settles to their proper levels.  Btw, running guy wires is not a proven wife-approved action.  ;)

Best wishes,
Ed

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline dport

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2018, 09:13:30 PM »
Many thanks for all the advice from you all!  Going to talk things over with the wife again once the unit arrives on Thursday.  Regardless of anemometer height, guy wires or not, etc; I'm very excited to have a VP2 and the 24 hour fan to boot. 

Offline drew1021

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2018, 01:48:27 PM »
Keep the ISS in the sun and as far away from the house and away from,and above, the fence as possible.
Anemometer can go on the roof. However you will need the transmitter. Have fun! :-)
VP2 with 24 hour FARS. WU: KNCLEWIS2. CWOP/APRS: DW4712, COCORAHS: NC-FR-7

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2018, 02:11:51 PM »
Good point about keeping ISS shelter in full sun best as possible. (Something that doesn't get mentioned enough). Unavoidable for many of use during parts of day depending on tree coverage at site.
When shelter is shaded you will be abnormally low during those shaded periods, I've seen as much as 3 degrees F between shaded and unshaded shelter at my place where I have 3 different aspirated stations spread out. 
Randy

Offline dport

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2018, 03:44:23 PM »
Update:  I have received and installed my 6153.  See picture.  I bolted the main unit to my 4x4 post.  Anemometer is only up about 13 feet. Note that this is NOT my final solution. This is just to hold me over until I can get additional necessary materials.  Also, I wanted to be able to service the unit easily with any issues during the first week. 

I will have to say though that this is a BAD site.  Today is partly cloudy day with temps in the upper 80s to low 90s.  My sensor has been spiking about 3 degrees when the sun is out in force, even though the 24 hour fan is running hard.  The little dirt mound below the ISS is hot to the touch today.  Fence is also very warm.  I am about 2-3 degrees warmer than other stations close by when the sun is out. 

I assume this is a siting issue and not an issue with my temp sensor or something else in the unit.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 03:46:29 PM by dport »

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2018, 04:01:13 PM »
I will have to say though that this is a BAD site.  Today is partly cloudy day with temps in the upper 80s to low 90s.  My sensor has been spiking about 3 degrees when the sun is out in force, even though the 24 hour fan is running hard.  The little dirt mound below the ISS is hot to the touch today.  Fence is also very warm.  I am about 2-3 degrees warmer than other stations close by when the sun is out. 
I assume this is a siting issue and not an issue with my temp sensor or something else in the unit.
The fence may be a problem, but doubtful. An aspirated ISS will always be more responsive than a passive one, except when the wind is blowing decently. I think your siting is fine, you're just not used to an SHT31 and a fan. My temp goes up and down like a roller coaster, I'm now used to it.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2018, 04:53:12 PM »
I didn't want to spark a controversy but wood fences can generate heat too. Solution would be getting above the hot pockets I went 10' it was my best compromise with limited backyard. I needed  step ladder just to reach my ISS at my Arizona home.

I also mounted stand alone rain gauge lower after I learned my attached gauge was inaccurate. Davis rain gauge mounted on top of ISS, is a nightmare to calibrate and keep clean.
Randy

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2018, 05:22:38 PM »
2-3 F difference is not bad at all. I run warmer on all my thermometers than most of my neighboring weather stations just a few blocks away. Some areas are warmer than others, and you will probably be cooler at night, and in the winter you may be colder like I am.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2018, 05:35:11 PM »
2-3 F difference is not bad at all.
I agree. Most any time of day I can be 2-3F warmer than my surrounding ASOS's, 2-3F cooler, or obviously the same, and my ISS sitting has no possible "impediments". Nature of the beast.

Offline dport

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2018, 06:52:03 PM »
I agree. Most any time of day I can be 2-3F warmer than my surrounding ASOS's, 2-3F cooler, or obviously the same, and my ISS sitting has no possible "impediments". Nature of the beast.

So this is really interesting.  Can you explain why?

When I think about it, I'm in an neighborhood that is in between urban and suburban. Philly airport is 9 miles away and in an open area.  I can see how on stagnant, hot days that the air in my neighborhood may heat up easier than open areas.  Also, there are a TON of big trees in my township.  I suspect most folks have their weather stations in the shade most of the day. Mine is in full sun until almost 7 PM this time of year.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2018, 07:19:14 PM »
Mine is in full sun until almost 7 PM this time of year.
I'm in Tucson and my ISS is never shaded, it's exposed sunup til sundown, all year. The 24hr VP2 ISS radiation shield is one of the best in the business, as long as a fan is running in it. If you want to do comparisons, I suggest you do it with the ASOS's near you (I never use other PWS's, you never really know what your getting), and watch the  nuances between them all. Be aware though, ASOS's use an averaging algorithm so temp spikes are non-existent, whereas your VP2 (read all PWS's) are raw readings.

Offline dport

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2018, 07:36:53 PM »
Mine is in full sun until almost 7 PM this time of year.
I'm in Tucson and my ISS is never shaded, it's exposed sunup til sundown, all year. The 24hr VP2 ISS radiation shield is one of the best in the business, as long as a fan is running in it. If you want to do comparisons, I suggest you do it with the ASOS's near you (I never use other PWS's, you never really know what your getting), and watch the  nuances between them all. Be aware though, ASOS's use an averaging algorithm so temp spikes are non-existent, whereas your VP2 (read all PWS's) are raw readings.

Good to know.  Apparently I have some reading to do.  The temp sensor is very sensitive. Def not used to it.  Wanted to make sure that there was no way that the unit was damaged in shipping or when I was mounting it.  It did take a 6 inch fall when I was trying to mount it.  Suppose that would have zero effect on the temp calibration.

Edit, and yes, I can hear the fan running constantly in the unit.

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2018, 09:31:28 PM »
The fence may be a problem, but doubtful. An aspirated ISS will always be more responsive than a passive one, except when the wind is blowing decently. I think your siting is fine, you're just not used to an SHT31 and a fan. My temp goes up and down like a roller coaster, I'm now used to it.

Not to get too off-topic, but sometimes I wish I lived in a hot dry climate to really see the 31 in action. Lately the airmass here has been tropical so I've been getting SHT15-like movements in temps; kinda boring. Dp's in the low 70s for the most part during the day doesn't exactly spell roller coaster readings.
Davis Wireless VP2 SHT31 24hr 24CFM FARS

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2018, 09:49:22 PM »
Dp's in the low 70s for the most part during the day doesn't exactly spell roller coaster readings.
Ha, no it doesn't, just makes you sweaty. My diurnal swing this time of year is usually about 40F. What's yours, 8F? :-)

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2018, 10:20:13 PM »
Dp's in the low 70s for the most part during the day doesn't exactly spell roller coaster readings.
Ha, no it doesn't, just makes you sweaty. My diurnal swing this time of year is usually about 40F. What's yours, 8F? :-)

HA! Well you're not very far off; it's been around 15F, give or take some. Add to that the fact that I have gotten skipped (rain-wise) for the most part this month and it spells a bore fest.
Davis Wireless VP2 SHT31 24hr 24CFM FARS

Offline dport

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2018, 05:32:36 PM »
Suppose this should probably be a separate topic, but I'll ask here since we've been back and forth about my new station.

Like i said in a previous post, i actually dropped the ISS about 6 inches on to straight concrete (the anemometer was not in play).  It swung around the pole i was mounting it to and the big white ring that holds the 24 hour fan took the brunt.  I actually snapped two of the standoffs (the nut couplings above the fan) in half.  I needed to order replacements from Ryan.

Shockingly, nothing else appeared to be damaged.  Not even a scratch on any parts of the rad shield.  Everything appears to be reporting normally.  The question is, should I be concerned about any calibration issues?  Could the rain tipper be thrown off?  Should I order a new temp sensor?

The rain tipper appears to function just fine.  I didnt notice any physical damage.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2018, 05:46:37 PM »
The question is, should I be concerned about any calibration issues?  Could the rain tipper be thrown off?  Should I order a new temp sensor?
I would think doubtfully. I'd certainly watch it before I bought anything though, or get another SHT31 as a spare. My spare's in use now.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2018, 05:49:46 PM »

100% Arid-zona sunshine exposure here, too:

[/quote]

Very nice that's the one thing I don't have, full daytime sun exposure in town station.
Randy

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2018, 06:01:48 PM »
sort of related,  make sure that you can maintain your ISS as it looks like when the wind does decide to blow,  the unit will get some sand,dirt debris in the rain cone as well as the radiation shield.  You want it at a level that you can easily maintain it, that is take off the rain cone periodically and clean out the dirt that will go in and occasionally wipe off the radiation shield and at least one time a year, take the station down and give the inside of the radiation shield a good cleaning, with canned compressed air.   

Recommended for the ISS alone is 5 feet above the surface. The Wind unit can be as tall as you can,  it has 40 feet of cable.