Author Topic: no wind - anemometer  (Read 4119 times)

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
no wind - anemometer
« on: October 25, 2008, 10:38:00 AM »
I just noticed that my wind speed is zero.  It is pretty calm, but my cups are spinning.  VWS and console still reporting direction changes, so I know communication is OK.  Last reported wind seems to be just before 8pm last night.

This happened a few years ago, at the time if I recall I just removed the cups, cleaned up some gunk and reattached....Of course it was much easier to get to at that time.  Now it is at the peak of a two story house.  Luckily its still above freezing, at least for a few days...
 Its possible the screw loosened a bit over the last year, since the current install was done.   

Raining today, so I will probably go up tomorrow morning.  Any other thoughts before I go up.  I only want to do this once, if I can avoid it.  I am not afraid of heights... but I dont really like them either.

Thanks,
Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline sam2004gp

• Mount Crawford, Virginia
  • Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
    • Mount Crawford Weather, VA
Re: no wind - anemometer
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 02:43:59 PM »
Your sig is showing windspeed, what did you fix?
SAM --->>> http://www.mountcrawfordweather.org
OS WMR-968 with a Dedicated PWS Weather Computer running VWS v13.01 p09

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 03:02:25 PM »
I noticed... apparently at 1pm it magically started reporting again.  I did nothing.  So it must (hopefully) just be a loose screw....  I am still going to climb up and service....

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline sam2004gp

• Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 03:23:39 PM »
You might want to take some loc-tight with you when you go up.

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 09:05:16 AM »
Well it worked till 6am.  So I just climbed up.  removed, cleaned, lubed tightened...  no broken bones....   had a small window of no rain, 50km winds expected this morn/noonish.

Working again, fingers crossed...

Andrew

Offline sam2004gp

• Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 11:09:57 AM »
Hope that does it. But you might have to start searching the ambient site or the internet for the cheapest NEW one you can find.

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 02:11:14 PM »
Stopped again at 5am this morning.  guess I will climb back up and try it again.  Only have a few more weeks (hopefully) that this will be possible since snow/ice is not too far off....  This happened a few years ago, and in that case it took two tries as well???

Andrew

Offline Carson Weather

• Contributor
    • http://www.carsonweather.com
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 08:10:23 PM »
It's happened to me pretty regularly for the past six years, and was the main reason I switched to Davis.
I would lose comm for a couple of days at a time (unless I climbed the roof and did a manual reset).

For what it's worth, when I installed the Davis station (5 months ago), I also moved the computer room/consoles.
Since then the Oregon Scientific seems *better*, but it still loses communications. (The Davis has had no problems).

I thought my problem might have been bad equipment and I ended up purchasing two "spares" over the years. I think it may have to do with some sort of interference I'm generating at the house, like, if I turn the microwave on at the exact moment it's transmitting, I would lose comm.

As another data point, even when wind speed was not functioning, direction worked fine.

If it turns out that you are having an actual, physical problem, I've got a "parts" anemometer that spins kinda rough (bearings?), that you're welcome to for the price of shipping.

-Joe