Author Topic: What was your first computer?  (Read 3185 times)

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
What was your first computer?
« on: August 27, 2018, 08:05:33 PM »
Besides toes'n'fingers...

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: What was your first computer?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 08:20:07 PM »
Apple IIe enhanced (Ran BBS - GBBS and AE Line)
Apple Color monitor
128K 80 column card
6 Disk Drives (1 Duo Disk + 4 Disk II drives)
10 MB Bernoulli HD with 2 removable 5 MB Disks
1200 Baud Prometheus 1200G Pro Modem
Apple Color ImageWriter II printer

« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 08:36:29 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 09:20:38 PM »

And the memory was mobile!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 09:25:45 PM by PaulMy »

Offline alanb

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2018, 09:30:10 PM »
First computer was a Timex Sinclair 1000. It had 2K of RAM, used a cassette tape recorder for program storage and used a TV for the display. It had a built in BASIC interpreter for programming, although you couldn't get a very big program in 2K! It was more or less just a "toy". I followed this up with a Commodore 64 which was used mostly by my kids for gaming. That computer was a remarkable piece of engineering in its day.

My first "real" computer was an IBM PC/XT with 640K RAM, an Amdek amber monochrome monitor and monochrome graphics adapter, 30 MB hard drive, 5 1/4" floppy drive, an AST Six Pack Plus multi-function add-on board and an 80 column IBM dot matrix ProPrinter. As I recall, it cost me about $3800 in mid 1980's money and was considered to be a high-end system in its day. Ran PC DOS 3.0, Word Perfect and Lotus 123.
Alan - Ambient WS-2000, WH31E x5, WH31L, Ecowitt WN32(WH32E)
          Airthings Corentium Home Radon Detector 223

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2018, 10:38:38 PM »
My first computer was an S100 Bus-based iron box with 64K of ram and 2 5-1/4" floppy drives from which CP/M booted.  I later added an external housing with 2 10" floppy drives for additional storage.  It used a black and white character-based serial monitor!  I don't recall the processor.  My printer was a huge, heavy NEC SpinWriter.

It's painful to think about the overpriced and vastly under-powered equipment that initiated the PC era!
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline Jasiu

• Forecaster
    • LexMAWeather
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2018, 11:08:18 PM »
First computer I ever programmed was a Control Data Corp Cyber model - with punch cards!

First I ever OWNED was a Mac IIsi.
https://lexmaweather.info
On Mastodon: @LexMAWeather@toot.community

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2018, 11:16:31 PM »
My first was a Commodore PET 2001 https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodore_PET which I bought used in 1981 (I still have it).  https://www.commodore.ca/commodore-products/commodore-pet-the-worlds-first-personal-computer/

It got hit from a nearby lightning strike about 1984 so the insurance paid for a Commodore 64 replacement.
However i was able to get a replacement chip so the PET was then also back to life and it may still run - I haven't tried it for probably 30 years.  I had a few games to play with the built-in tape cassette and save some simple programs in BASIC.

With the Commodore 64 I used Paperclip, Oracle, and MS Multi Plan when the kids were not playing the dozens of games that everyone shared.

Paul
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 11:36:18 PM by PaulMy »

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2018, 11:20:01 PM »
My first computer:

K&E Slide rulers

My subsequent computers:

TRS-80 Microcomputer, Model I
TRS-80 Model III
TRS-80 Model IV
PC's ever since...

Computers I've worked on/with:

Heathkit H8 (8080A)...assembled & programmed
Heathkit H11 (PDP11)...built 3, then programmed them
MOS KIM-1 (6502) development
DEC-PDP11-35/45 (octal coding)
HP-85 BASIC...translated FORTRAN into HPBasic
S100 chassis...assembled & repaired
TI-99/4 home computer...I/O development
TI-TMS9989...military systems
TRS-80 Model 100...system development
SB180...single board computer development
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 01:06:22 AM by Old Tele man »
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2018, 11:41:47 PM »
And the memory was mobile!

And WOM.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2018, 11:54:51 PM »
Decwriter.   Then I moved to a TRS80 with a stringy floppy.    However I did have this calculator with a thermal printer from Texas Instruments.  I could program these magnetic cards, insert them back into the calculator and print out whatever I figured.  I was doing grades back then , teaching and wrote a routine to do just that.   From the TRS80 I moved to a PC, modem of 33.6K

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2018, 12:03:28 AM »
Decwriter.   Then I moved to a TRS80 with a stringy floppy.    However I did have this calculator with a thermal printer from Texas Instruments.  I could program these magnetic cards, insert them back into the calculator and print out whatever I figured.  I was doing grades back then , teaching and wrote a routine to do just that.   From the TRS80 I moved to a PC, modem of 33.6K

Ah, yes, the Exatron Stringy Floppy, I wrote a book using one!

"This book was written with the aid of a TRS-80 Model I computer equipped with Level II BASIC and I6K RAM, a Centronics 730 printer with Radio Shack Printer Interface Cable (26-1411), an Exatron Stringy Floppy and Duncan Pittman's Type Right Secretary word-processing program."
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 01:10:04 AM by Old Tele man »
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline alanb

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2018, 01:17:31 AM »
Ha Ha! I didn't mention the Olivetti Programma 101. It was the first "desktop" computer I used with teaching programming to HS kids in Marion, IA back in the early 70's. It used a magnetic strip for program storage. It wasn't mine ... belonged to the school of course, but one of my students later published a book on it, titled something like "Inside the Olivetti Programma 101".
Alan - Ambient WS-2000, WH31E x5, WH31L, Ecowitt WN32(WH32E)
          Airthings Corentium Home Radon Detector 223

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2018, 03:52:14 AM »
Was called a Curta, complete with cranking handle and then replaced with the marvellous HP67/97 with magnetic card strips, then HP41 followed by stuff like the HP9815's/9830's and 9845's

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2018, 09:54:27 AM »
Commodore VIC20 with cassette drive.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2018, 10:46:28 AM »
Cutty,

Like most computers, yours is useless without a display...

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2018, 11:22:34 AM »
Cutty,

Like most computers, yours is useless without a display...

Heh.... good call..
...but then, again, that's just a 'peripheral' ...  like a desk, chair... eyeglasses in my case...  :twisted:

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2018, 11:29:43 AM »
Wow, digging way back, it was a "luggable" Actix (I think?). It was a small PC with dual floppies, maybe 64K RAM with amber monitor, a fold down keyboard, on top was a printer and a modem with suction cup receptacles to jam a phone into? I think the OS was CPM. Next was a MAC then 2-3 more MACs and then the change for business reasons to MS and I learned to cuss B Gates!

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2018, 12:34:16 PM »
Wow, digging way back, it was a "luggable" Actix (I think?).
I remember the Osborne luggable.

In high school we used the log - antilog books in math class for "complex" multiplication and Trig.
College we used a slide rule. Anyone remember the Facit calculator?
Davis VP2 6163 | WiFi Logger
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2018, 01:15:49 PM »
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2018, 06:29:03 PM »
Yeah, but you also get a "printer" and memory...

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2018, 07:40:26 PM »
My first computer was "bionic" and worked in the base 5 number system:

My second computer was a 1970's vintage Heapkit ET-3400, with a 6800 CPU and a whopping 256 *bytes* of RAM:

From there, I moved up to a home made S-100 bus system, with 8080, 8085, and later Z80 processors, two 8-inch floppies, and a 64x16 character video display.  I actually wrote a part of the boot ROM, as well as the CP/M-80 BIOS for much of the hardware including the disk controller.

Funny story - I was touring a college in 1982, and they had just un-boxed their first IBM PC and set it up on a table in the library for everyone to gawk at.  I sat down at the thing, and was flying through the operating system so fast that everyone was amazed.  Little did I know at the time that I was using Bill Gates' clone of CP/M (PC-DOS), and not the real deal from Digital Research.

When I was cleaning out a closet at work a few months ago, I found an ancient Intel SDK-86 developer's kit that I assembled over 35 years ago (not actual picture):

For everyone who remembers building their first IBM PC/XT clone, the above picture is what IBM Boca Raton probably used to design the original PC back in 1981.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline chrisgrainger

• Contributor
    • Top of The Rideau
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2018, 09:37:43 AM »
TRS80 for me.  Used it to learn BASIC.  Had it for a few years and then bought a Tandy1000 in the early 80's.   I splurged with 2 (count em, 2) 360K floppy drives and a whole lot of memory ..... 256K!  I ran a BBS on that for a few years after buying a horrendously expensive 300 baud modem (with acoustic couplers).  Upgraded it with a 10meg HardCard.... then I had room to bump the BBS and link into FidoNet (anybody remember FidoNet?)

Chris

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2018, 09:58:12 AM »
I ran a BBS on that for a few years after buying a horrendously expensive 300 baud modem

Those BBS were very neat at the time!!
Paul

Offline chrisgrainger

• Contributor
    • Top of The Rideau
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2018, 10:04:26 AM »
Those BBS were very neat at the time!!

They were.  When we moved out of Labrador to Ontario, I upgraded the modem to 2400 baud and then to 9600 and then to a USRHST....  Wow, when I think of the money spent. [shudder]

When I finally got an in with an internet connection through a university, I gave up the BBS.  I still have a copy of the entire thing zipped up and stored in the cloud.  The batch file that ran Binkleyterm and Maximus was a thing of beauty.  I even wrote some little utilities that processed echoes and netmail.

Chris

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2018, 11:16:14 AM »
Money? - ha, yes, none of us want to remember. I spent around $2K on the Actrix and was fortunate to sell it for $50. 3 years ago when I cleared out my storage area I hauled all my Mac equip, laser printer etc to Goodwill for recycling, about $5K I'd estimate. And, that's just part of it. When I lived in MX for 7 years the electricity there was vicious, I lost 7 routers, 2 big UPS regulators, telephone equip etc. Buying anything like these items in MX is full list plus 16% tax plus import, so a simple wireless router I could buy up here from Amazon for say $35 down there was more like $75-$80. But, it was a great adventure living there and now I'm safe back across the border in Texas.