Author Topic: The future of BeeWeather.com....???  (Read 961 times)

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
The future of BeeWeather.com....???
« on: July 10, 2018, 04:16:40 PM »
No biggie here.  I guess I'm in a bit of a funk.  Rather than rehash what's on my mind here is a link to what I've posted on BeeWeather.com, it has a link on the index page but this is the pertinent page.  It is not my intent to whine, just doing some thinking and I tend to get in trouble when I do that....  Ed

http://www.beeweather.com/wxNOTICE_future_of_beeweather.php

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
Re: The future of BeeWeather.com....???
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 04:21:17 PM »
No idea, didn't go to read.  I killed mine off years ago ...  in part because I just didn't feel like it any more, but also due to Suckerrface's infestation of the brain dead webbies who seem to have forgotten what the web is all about.

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 04:31:59 PM »
Not sure which part you're looking for comments or perspective on.  The webcam or the whole site.

The way I personally look at my site is it's my personal hobby that I can share with others.  How many others really doesn't matter all that much to me.  I like to know the weather data.  I want to get to it from anywhere.  That means a website.  Comparing to my friends who hunt and fish, I spend very little money doing this.  As long as keeping the site doesn't become a chore, and it remains in the hobby feeling of things, I'm going to keep doing it.  Once the work of keeping it up to date doesn't feel like fun, I'll have to reconsider.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 04:56:07 PM »
No idea, didn't go to read.  I killed mine off years ago ...  in part because I just didn't feel like it any more, but also due to Suckerrface's infestation of the brain dead webbies who seem to have forgotten what the web is all about.
Yeah, maybe my ADD or whatever they call it is kicking in.  :-k  Just seems that right now I'm a little weary.

And you know something, I don't really know why I'm talking about.....weird.

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 04:56:55 PM »
Not sure which part you're looking for comments or perspective on.  The webcam or the whole site.

The way I personally look at my site is it's my personal hobby that I can share with others.  How many others really doesn't matter all that much to me.  I like to know the weather data.  I want to get to it from anywhere.  That means a website.  Comparing to my friends who hunt and fish, I spend very little money doing this.  As long as keeping the site doesn't become a chore, and it remains in the hobby feeling of things, I'm going to keep doing it.  Once the work of keeping it up to date doesn't feel like fun, I'll have to reconsider.
Meh, I'm not sure what comments I'm looking for either.  Any or all of it is fine.

It isn't a drastically expensive hobby, I agree.  I think the "fun" part of it might be missing at the moment.  I got into the website and cleaned up some dead links and did a tiny bit of basic php code (I'm no coder by any means!) and I enjoyed it.  Maybe I'm to the "reconsider" stage...
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 05:00:18 PM by Intheswamp »

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 04:57:22 PM »
Hi Ed,
Ditto what 92merc says, and enjoy!
Paul

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 07:54:45 PM »
In MX my site was getting 4,000 hits+ a day, I decided not to return to MX last year, so didn't seem worth keeping it going. Up here in TX I get 2-4 visits a day? - I sometimes miss the MX site, I kept it religiously for 10 years and all the data is on a HD here and no one cares?

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2018, 08:16:12 PM »
I gave up on keeping a dedicated site long ago (along with server hardware in my house). 

After a while it seemed too much like "real work".

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2018, 01:44:24 AM »
Ditto.  I just feed WU (when it works) and remotely log into my system so *I* can see the weather and webcams.  I did enjoy the experience of building my own site though.  But no more.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2018, 07:55:14 AM »
If you want to keep a webcam without a computer powering it 24/7, look into the Outdoor Nest Cams. I've got 2 now and they happily stream on their own
with no computer or software needed. They can be had pretty inexpensively from time to time with online deals. $149 shipped for mine.
Tony

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2018, 09:25:59 AM »
Thanks for the feedback.  It's good to know other folks' experiences...and that I'm not oddball (at least in regards to this situation :lol: ) for thinking about possibly taking BeeWeather down. 

The weathercam has been somewhat of a security camera, too.  The old service station area is high-traffic at times and people use it for a parking lot at times.  I've actually had a few run-ins with people who intended to park in my work area during business hours, so the camera did do double-duty.  Losing the "security" aspect of the camera reduces its value to me a bit.

As for the weather reporting aspect of it, I'm still interested in it...for myself.  Definitely being able to view conditions at home when I'm elsewhere and there is unsettled weather in the area is attractive.  The NOAA reports are good, too, for seeing how the current weather is comparing to the same time a year or more previous. 

I'm don't mind sharing this information with others...but, with the apparent lack of interest of others that isn't a very big factor in the equation.

There's no urgent need to make a decision right now so I will take my time and decide what I want to do...the key part of that is the "what I want to do" part.   

Thanks again for the feedback.  It's good to know that other people have felt similar to what I'm feeling at the moment.

And, if you have any more thoughts send them on...I'm still listening!!!

Ed

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2018, 09:50:35 AM »

The weathercam has been somewhat of a security camera, too.  The old service station area is high-traffic at times and people use it for a parking lot at times.  I've actually had a few run-ins with people who intended to park in my work area during business hours, so the camera did do double-duty.  Losing the "security" aspect of the camera reduces its value to me a bit.

You can get notifications with movement in an area you can set on the Nest Camera and it has a speaker too if you want to tell people to GET OFF MY LAWN.  :grin:
Tony

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2018, 10:20:19 AM »
tony, are the Nest cameras usable without the subscription to Nest's cloud and is it possible for the images be posted to a website such as BeeWeather?

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2018, 10:35:43 AM »
Typical Statcounter report:
StatCount_0708_2018 by Intheswamp, on Flickr

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2018, 11:28:31 AM »
tony, are the Nest cameras usable without the subscription to Nest's cloud and is it possible for the images be posted to a website such as BeeWeather?

I dont think you would get any notifications without a subscription. I worked around and submitted my cams to the Nest Cam Directory
and they post thumbnails which I use on my front page on my site.
Tony

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2018, 11:42:19 AM »
When I closed down the MX site last Jan I brought out the laptop and webcam with the intent of using the cam up here. But, I live in a semi-rural area that is so boring it's not worth putting up. To get a shot of the lake I'd have to mount it up the power pole a bit and that's not worth the effort either, so it sits on the bench in the shop waiting for a place. And, looking at the lake to the E would put it in the sun and as a security cam it would be looking W and either would cook the cam. Maybe I'll put it down low so I can watch the bunnies, roadrunners etc?

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2018, 06:31:17 PM »
Dlink cams are cheap and work great.  Got about a dozen!
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

anything