Author Topic: Review of my new Radio Shack 1200991 S.A.M.E. weather radio  (Read 3749 times)

Offline ThePontificator

Because already having three weather alert radios in the house isn't enough..... :grin:

I recently purchased a Radio Shack SAME Weather Radio (Model 1200991) after I noticed it was on sale for $34.99 (promotion price is thru 7/7/13).

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12897519#stuff-you-want

This unit is built to "public alert" standards with the usual bells and whistles criteria.

PROS:

Compact, cool-looking tactical black chassis (about the size of my hand); face of unit is slightly angled
Easy-to-understand owner's manual; programming is ridiculously easy with only a few buttons on the unit
SAME/FIPS codes are pre-programmed. Just choose state/territory and then county (if applicable). Codes can also be entered manually.
External alarm clock on/off switch
Adjustable speaker and alert volume options
"Missed alert" and "loss of signal" options
Non-warning alerts can be enabled or disabled; LED panel features alert enabled/disabled icons
Soft-touch rubber buttons have solid feel; programming is silent
Cool "police-type" siren alert
Backlight color is amber and is easy on the eyes
Concurrent watches/warnings scroll with respective LED colors
external jacks on rear for external antennae and auxiliary warning devices
No separate "weather radio on/off" button (in my book that's a "plus")

CONS: (minor issues)
Antenna is "whippy" when fully extended (I like the solid fat one on the Midland WR-100)
Single LED lamp for advisory/watch/warning is small
No display backlight control options
Alert types are "voice" and "tone" but no "display" option
"Loss of signal" and missed alert options feature an audible tone that cannot be disabled
90 day warranty (C'mon!)

All in all I'm very pleased with this purchase. The unit responded flawlessly during last week's derecho event (bought it that day) and also responded to weekly test this afternoon. I don't know how long it'll run on just the batteries I may do a test on that later this week.

My recommendation: BUY

« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 12:04:14 PM by ThePontificator »