Author Topic: PC failure already???  (Read 2800 times)

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
PC failure already???
« on: August 16, 2015, 03:03:28 PM »
Need some help from the forum computer geeks.

My 750$ Asus Laptop has run flawlessly since December. It was a Christmas present. I'm not sure what the hell is going on but I'm a beginning to see what looks like the blue screen of death. My computer had this issue several weeks ago but it's happened 3 times within the past 48 hours.

The computer being relatively new (and expensive) besides occasionally using the many features of Weather Display, I rarely ever touch the computer. I expect several years of faithful service with no problems. The only thing I can think of is, I had an accident with my Logitech C920 the other day. I swapped it with a Logitech C615 and that's when the problems became more troublesome.

Either way, I'm not happy. I'm hoping some geeks here might know something. If not, my computer has a 2 year geek squad service plan. 
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Re: PC failure already???
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 03:11:29 PM »
Hi,

BSOD is most commonly due to HW problems, quite often some driver etc.

It would be quite useful if you wrote down the code of the error and posted it here. Also, usually after BSOD when you turn on your PC, Win loads and you get a message "Windows has recovered from a serious error...blabla" and you can view the log file, which also includes info about what exactly happened - or at least what caused the error, which can then be used to diagnose the problem.

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
    • Colorado Springs Weather
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 05:54:36 PM »
I would do as Randy suggested. If you can't get into Conto Panel to do a System Restore search or run rstrui.exe.

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 06:15:28 PM »
On the other hand, it would in my opinion be better to try to first diagnose the problem and then try to solve it. It is possible that it is the webcam causing it, but often this can be fixed for example by updating the driver etc.

Restore point is a solution, but it would be better if he first tried making it work even with the camera, or alternatively, it is not 100% sure that it is the webcam causing this and so in either case I think it would first be worth noting down the error code number and then we can try to see what is the problem.

I use restore point only once when I am unable to find out what the problem is and how to fix it.

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
    • Colorado Springs Weather
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 07:01:39 PM »
I agree. System Restore is last resort just like surgery.

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline Dr Obbins

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 07:53:43 PM »
The only thing I can think of is, I had an accident with my Logitech C920 the other day. I swapped it with a Logitech C615 and that's when the problems became more troublesome.
I bought a brand new Dell that worked fine until I added Logitech 9000. Then the BSOD started. Dell even went to the extent of sending me  replacement computer, but still the same issue. Replaced the Logitech cam with another brand and the computer ran fine  operating 24/7 running 3 webcams and the weather station for 5+ years.

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2015, 08:28:48 PM »
I run 3 Loggies on my weather PC with no issues, driving with WC7pro, along with all the other services, WxRadio audio stream, etc, 3 cam streams, VWS, and the associated uploads.  That's a 'low end' HP mini, S5510f (that I wish I'd bought several of) Win7... it's difficult to believe that Logitech is the real issue here... other than old drivers, or your video card.  I do run three additional Hikies on another low end HP tower, again with WC7pro.... uploading stills, streaming, etc for all 6.  Everything on my site except the three Hikies mentioned below is driven by that one HP S5510F. 

Now, the Logitech drivers are only geared to run 1 cam... stupid, whatever, but that's the way it is.  So if you run the cam, kill the Logitech program... don't use it.  just let the 'driver' be used for the selected camera, and forget it.  Kill the Logitech processes after you set the camera. After setting stuff in your 'streaming app' whatever it is, WC7Pro, whatever, kill all the Logitech services and any active Logitech software.
This link http://ourspecial.net/twinhollies/still/seq.html  will show you the three Loggies, on the S5510f and the three Hikies on an HP 500-056 as they upload stills.. follow the menu to access streams...

Mike

Offline Skywatch

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2015, 10:56:13 PM »
Given the circumstances coinciding with changes to my camera equipment in lieu of recent changes to my weather station, I'm sure the camera is the problem.

Just the same, whenever I tried to run multiple Logies the PC would freeze up. Several PCs did the same thing on several programs.

Cutty, you're lucky. I think my problem combined with using over 30' of USB extenders. Probably overwhelmed the computer.

I'm looking at other brands and types on ebay.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/261825744503

This is what I'm looking at as a replacement. Just sent the seller a message asking for more information. I want to keep the cameras on my roof mast. The view is something I won't give up easily. I worked hard to get that. ;)

I am a storm chaser.

Offline Skywatch

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2015, 11:04:40 PM »
Just out of curiosity, does the protocol have anything to do with it? Like USB 2.0 vs 3.0?

I am a storm chaser.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2015, 05:15:37 AM »
Do you have the error code number? Or the error log generated after recovering from the BSOD?

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2015, 05:28:23 AM »
Skywatch, My loggies are on 30' active extenders, two each, for 60 feet per camera.
I had run 2 additional cams for a couple of years on three extenders (90')
These http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003NUIK4M?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00
Seal the connections with Scotch 2242 self-adhesive,

The Logitech cams are all USB 2... it doesn't matter if PC is 2 or 3

Offline Skywatch

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2015, 09:15:10 AM »
I'll look into getting that. Thanks. September is coming up and I have 135$ to my seasonal improvement fund. I'm looking to getting 2 cameras and 2 of the cables.

I disconnected the camera last night. I'm reviewing my options before purchasing. So far, Cutty, you've given me good information. I'm looking into it.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2015, 08:16:47 PM »
I'm more familiar with Dell's, but is there a diags built into the BIOS like a DELL?  I would try to rule out a HW issue before doing Windows restores, etc.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2015, 08:54:58 PM »
I'm more familiar with Dell's, but is there a diags built into the BIOS like a DELL?  I would try to rule out a HW issue before doing Windows restores, etc.
I think his issues are 'low video" processing ability, or running the logotech programs, trying to set up cams... I'm not sure what he's using to stream, but the Logitechs will only "drive" one camera,.,. so the software has to be completely stopped.  If he's running WC7 PRO, he should really have no problem, well... no... there are issuses with the drivers...
http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=19044.msg183855#msg183855
where we discussed a lot of this, including improving the resolution of the Lobbies...

Might I refer the Loggie users to http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=19044.0
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 09:06:01 PM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2015, 09:07:08 PM »
Hm, I agree with 92merc, despite the fact that it is highly likely that you are right and that the problem is due to the driver, it would still be much better to first try to go through the logs as I suggested to and see if there isnt some other problem as well.

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2015, 09:40:35 PM »
I'm trying to tell you that the logs are likely a waste of time and effort..., in all likelihood.. there were numerous issues with Dell Mboards etc with the Logitechs, and running the Logitech Software and Services at the same time... Logitech built these to run a 'single camera' at a time, usb2, and multiple cams causes issues.  That's it, period.  Kill all the Logitech processes, and see how it works with "whatever" server program. Don't attempt to use the "Logitech" software  unless you're going to use one of their 'hosts/services. Simple....  We've been down this road, but do as you will.. or beat your head against the wall. Let us know if you resolve it....  It's either your machine, and you must use an External USB port/supply, or not turning off the Logitech software. Mine work fine, and so do many others using this principle.  Now I'm out of it.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 09:45:19 PM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2015, 11:53:43 PM »
Just a quick comment from another Logitech user. I too had problems with them before I discovered there was a Logitech process running the in background while I was trying to use Image Salsa. I had all kinds of intermittent webcam failures as well as a few BSOD's. I went through the logs but was never able to identify anything specific as a cause. I followed Cutty's suggestion to kill any Logitech process that was running and my problems went away immediately. I haven't had a failure for many months now that I can attribute to my webcam or the software I am using.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline Skywatch

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2015, 01:00:12 PM »
I just plugged in the camera when I got it and the drivers came from the camera. The included disk with the camera wasn't used.

The software is wdwebcamcapture of Weather Display software. It hasn't given me any problems until I unplugged it earlier this month and all the other stuff started to happen.

On one occasion the camera was producing erratic images. The one thing I can think of that might be causing issues is that I have several USB extenders piggybacked. One of the connections is loose. Might have been getting a bad connection doing what I was doing.

I followed Cutty's advice and got a 30' active cable. Should be here today or tomorrow. I'm going to make one last go at getting the C615 back up and running. Hopefully won't have further issues.

I purchased a Microsoft Lifecam and if I can get the Logitech running without issue, I'll buy another cable and have the Lifecam as the south cam.

For now we'll play it by ear.

I am a storm chaser.

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2015, 01:51:44 PM »
Now, one secret to the logitechs... and this can sound confusing.... sorry, can't help it...  you do need the newest Logitech drivers, not the "pc" supplied drivers.... which are available from the Logitech site... You'll download the "package", and install it.  It most likely will include the Programs.  Now, in order to set the camera, focus, brite, etc, you do need the Logitech program.  Once set, close, and kill all Logitech processes.  Make sense?  in other words, with "Generic" drivers, you have no camera control, but you only run the Logitech programs as needed, then after adjustments, kill em. The driver will remain active for the cams. Many times, there's no problem having them in background, but at times there are... depends on machine, other software, etc... so just keep 'em killed.  For example... On WC7Pro, if I call for a cam adjustment, it will open the Logitech program,... but the program won't necessarily adjust the cam I want... it only tends to work on the FIRST cam it detected, the other cams may or may not follow those settings!  But you do want the latest Logi Drivers.

Offline Skywatch

• Forecaster
Re: PC failure already??? Problem solved!
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2015, 07:35:45 PM »
I think I solved the problem with the camera. I had some drop outs earlier when I came to an unusual conclusion,

I have a high power air conditioning unit, today I noticed that the drop outs occurred when the unit kicked on. The USB cable ran by the unit. This happened 3 times coinciding with the air conditioner turning on.

My theory is that the motor is generating electromagnetic fields that might be causing the problems. I rerouted the cable away from the air conditioner and the problem seems to have vanished.

Hopefully it stays that way.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline Skywatch

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2015, 07:37:31 PM »
Got the Microsoft Lifecam today.

I am a storm chaser.