Author Topic: New To The Scene  (Read 7144 times)

Offline aadb

New To The Scene
« on: July 10, 2009, 07:05:42 PM »
Hi guys,

I am new to the 'weather scene' and currently have a very basic / generic set up that doesn't do everything that I want and need it to.

I have been currently looking at this: http://www.weather-station-products.co.uk/item--LaCrosse-weather-station--WS2350.html

Does anyone have any experience with this product that could possibly lay out the pros and cons with, not only the hardware, but the software.

Also, suggested alternatives around the price point are most welcome.  Basically any suggestions you guys have would be really helpful.

I look forward to picking your brains'!

Thank in advance,

Dan

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Re: New To The Scene
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 07:13:36 PM »
Hi Dan and welcome to the forum!

No matter what you decide on for the hardware, a great program to run it and automatically upload weather data on the Internet is WuHu (http://home.comcast.net/~wuhu_software/) and it's free!  For the hardware, I've been running a LaCrosse WS-2310 for over 5 years and it's tracking with a nearby (1/2 mile away) international airport's Metar reports.

Dan
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 07:17:43 PM by DanS »

Offline sam2004gp

• Mount Crawford, Virginia
  • Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
    • Mount Crawford Weather, VA
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 07:35:23 PM »
Welcome Dan, A good program that you can purchase is Virtual Weather Station, from ambient.  A ton of members also use it here.

http://www.ambientweather.com/virtualstation.html

SAM --->>> http://www.mountcrawfordweather.org
OS WMR-968 with a Dedicated PWS Weather Computer running VWS v13.01 p09

Offline aadb

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 07:38:02 PM »
Thanks for all the helpful info guys, I'll have a look at both suggestions now :)

Offline aadb

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 04:29:34 AM »
As well as : http://www.weather-station-products.co.uk/item--LaCrosse-weather-station--WS2350.html

I have also been looking at:

http://www.weather-station-products.co.uk/item--LaCrosse-weather-station-WS2308--WS2308.html

and

http://www.weather-station-products.co.uk/item--LaCrosse-weather-station-WS2357--WS2307.html

Which would you choose if you could have one of the above?

Don't want to buy a station and realise I could have bought something better for the price, so any thoughts you might have would be great.

Many Thanks In Advance Again,

Dan

Offline killwilly

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 04:56:12 AM »
Hello Dan and welcome to the forum. It is very difficult to purchase your first weather station, especially if you are on a fixed budget.
My advise would be not to rush, look at everything that is in your budget and then go for it.

You have come to the right place for sound advice. The people on this forum are brilliant and have a wealth of knowledge.

You could also take a look at Oregon Scientific, have a look on Google, there are some excellent deals to be had at the moment.

Alan.
Alan

Offline aadb

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 06:39:06 AM »
Thank you for the advice Alan :)

You wouldn't be able to point me in the direction of any of the deals you have seen?  I have had a look around via google and seem to be hitting roughly the same prices for makes and models at each site.  As I have no idea what a good deal is on specific stations anything you can let me know would be really helpful.  Would you recommend the WMR100 - Oregon weather station?  I see you own one :)

Thanks Again,

Dan
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 06:53:57 AM by aadb »

Offline killwilly

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2009, 07:30:01 AM »
Thank you for the advice Alan :)

You wouldn't be able to point me in the direction of any of the deals you have seen?  I have had a look around via google and seem to be hitting roughly the same prices for makes and models at each site.  As I have no idea what a good deal is on specific stations anything you can let me know would be really helpful.  Would you recommend the WMR100 - Oregon weather station?  I see you own one :)

Thanks Again,

Dan

Dan.

I will have a look on the internet and see if I can find some deals.

Regarding my WMR100- It was my first weather station, which was a Christmas gift from my wife. At the time I wasn't connected to the Internet 24/7, closing down in the evening and then restarting in the morning. That was when the problem started, I just could not get the station to talk to my computer, only if I powered down the station completely, IE unplug the mains and remove the battery and start from scratch, this was happening on a regular basis. Eventually OS UK got fed up with my complaints and gave me the WMR200. I now use the 100 as a stand alone station not connected to a computer but running 24/7. There are a number of people on this forum with the 100 who have had no problems at all.

I would think if you want to stay connected 24/7 the 100 would be fine. The 200 is a completely differant station offering a lot more, but then it is double the price.

Hope this helps.

Alan.

Alan

Offline aadb

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2009, 07:36:30 AM »
Many thanks for the quick response Alan and the helpful comments.  I have a netbook earmarked for using with my station 24/7 so maybe the 100 would be the way to go for me.

The 200 is just too far out of my price range atm :(

When you say power down completely, do you mean removing the batteries from all the sensors and equipment or just the display component?

Thanks again for your help and for having a look around the net for me :)

Offline port1

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2009, 07:37:35 AM »
Dan, welcome!
You're about to embark on a wonderful journey  :grin:
It's a great hobby.

I have an Oregon Scientific and like it, but next time I would probably purchase a Davis station.
More costly, sure, but more features.   I understand about budgeting, too.  The purchasing aspect is top priority, of course.

I also use VWS as my software, and am happy with it. 8-)

Henry
KNYFLORA5
WMR968
VWS v14.00 p73
CoCoRaHS NY-NS-7
CWOP DW1891
SKYWARN 09-148

Offline aadb

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2009, 07:40:29 AM »
Thank you for the warm welcome and the advise / comments Henry! :)

As you said, it seems that the first step is the most important.  I hope with your guys help I make the correct first decision.

Kind Regards,

Dan

Offline killwilly

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2009, 08:51:29 AM »
Dan.

When I referred to power-down I only meant the station, the sensors were fine.

http://http://www.ukweathershop.co.uk/acatalog/oregonscientific_WMR100.html?gclid=CJX3yNDVzZsCFV8B4wodQ1D4Kg

The above would appear to be the best deal on the 100 at the moment.

Alan.
Alan

Offline aadb

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2009, 09:50:34 AM »
Thank you Alan for all the help and information.

I have now narrowed it down to two different models.  They are:

http://www.ukweathershop.co.uk/acatalog/oregonscientific_WMR100.html

and the

http://www.ukweathershop.co.uk/acatalog/info_1_ES_WS2350.html

Which would you guys have? :D

Again, I appreciate all the help.

Once I have decided between the two, with your help, I should have it on Tuesday next week and I'll follow up on how I get on with it :)

Dan

Offline aadb

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2009, 01:47:42 PM »
Update:

I plumped for the OS 100, due to the all in one nature of it's set up and the fact that I have a metal pole ready to attach it to in the middle of my garden.  I am aware of it's short comings but the pros out weighed the cons in my case.  Should arrive Tuesday, fingers crossed I don't get a unit with issues.  :?

Thanks to everyone who posted and welcomed me to the forum.

I look forward to participating further when I get set up.

Regards,

Dan

« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 02:47:25 PM by aadb »

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2009, 02:03:40 PM »
I look forward to participating further when I get set up.

Regards,

Dan

Don't worry, there will always be something to fix or tweak.   ](*,)

Errr, I meant to say it'll be loads of fun!   =D>

Luckily, there's lots and lots of good help around here!   \:D/

Greg
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Wx4U

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2009, 03:51:15 PM »
Don't have experience with OS 100, but have had a WS-2308 for two and half years. It uses basically the same outdoor temperature and humidity sensor as the WS-2350. I am on my third sensor. In the heat of Texas, an additional radiation barrier is necessary for an accurate temperature reading.
Bob
Retired USAF Air Traffic Controller, Davis VP2 Wireless, WLS 5.8.2, LaCrosse 2308, Logitech Pro 9000 (Roof mounted on rotor), CoCoRaSh gauge, KTXARLIN35, Compaq Presario W/Vista

Offline killwilly

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2009, 03:21:09 AM »
Dan.

Glad to hear that you have made your decision. One little bit of advice, should you need to contact Oregon Scientific due to problems with your station. Don't contact support, email their sales department, I have always found them very helpful, support are rubbish and very unhelpful.

Alan.
Alan

Offline aadb

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2009, 03:35:40 AM »
Thanks for the reply and info Bob :)

Alan:  Cheers for the advice.  I have no doubt I will have some issues over the life of the station, I just pray it's not from the get go lol.  It's good to know where to go if I do have any issues though.  Thanks for letting me know the best place to work from if needed.

Greg:  Fingers crossed I get some usage first!  But with my limited budget I had to go for something near the bottom end.  If I get on ok and keep enjoying myself I might start a saving fund for a set of Davis instruments.  We'll see how it goes :D

Offline Wx4U

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2009, 07:47:54 PM »
Dan, there are some good UK local weather forums. You might communicate with some of the people there. I travel to the UK at least once a year, and I have friends and relatives there. The prices there are certainly a consideration. The cost of a hobby surely increases. Good luck. I have noted a UK weather forum below.
Best regards, Bob

http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/forums/forum-view.asp?fid=19
Retired USAF Air Traffic Controller, Davis VP2 Wireless, WLS 5.8.2, LaCrosse 2308, Logitech Pro 9000 (Roof mounted on rotor), CoCoRaSh gauge, KTXARLIN35, Compaq Presario W/Vista

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2009, 09:05:06 PM »

Offline killwilly

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2009, 02:24:20 AM »
Both are good forums for chatter, but in my opinion this is the best for techie stuff.

Alan.
Alan

Offline aadb

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2009, 04:56:38 AM »
Thanks guys, I shall certainly check out the other forums.

I am getting rather excited about getting my station tomorrow!

A quick question for Alan, or anyone else who has experience with the OS100, when you get a moment.  Just regarding the OS100, do you think I would be able to fix the station to the product below?  I have been rethinking where I should site the station and above roof level seems to be the way forward.  I understand that the OS100 comes with a 6ft mounting system, so if I manage to get this fixed near the top of my house it should be above the roof line.  My concern is the size of the bracket for fixing to an external pole, if it is too big I am worried  that product below wont be suitable.  Any thoughts?

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?isSearch=true&fh_search=SLX+Wall+Mounted+Bracket&x=7&y=6
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 05:03:30 AM by aadb »

Offline killwilly

• Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2009, 09:04:39 AM »
Dan

I  live in a bungalow and have my wind sensor fixed to a redundant TV aerial mast which is fixed to a chimney which is about is about 30 feet above ground level. One thing you must try and do if you are siting at or near roof level is to ensure that the sensor is more than 5 feet above the ridge/apex of the roof, this is to prevent wind deflection from the roof, which will cause lots of problems with wind speed readings and temperature readings due to heat radiation from the roof covering.

I would only suggest using the pole provided if you can site it in an open aspect away from buildings,trees, or fences. Also your rain sensor should be sited in an open area.

Don't be afraid to ask that's what this forum is about, we all have to start somewhere.  :grin:

Incidentally where do you live?

Alan
Alan

Offline aadb

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2009, 05:07:37 AM »
Just wanted to let you all know that I received my station yesterday and have it all set up and running.

Everything seems to be fine with it other than I am not sure if the rain sensor is picking up the correct amount of rain, we had some rather heavy showers and I only registered 2mm.  I don't know how much rainfall equals a mm so maybe it's just me.

Anyways,  thanks to everyone who posted and gave their advice and info.

Dan

Offline TorH

• Forecaster
    • Været på Fauske
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2009, 05:40:12 AM »
Congratulation with your wx station  =D>  \:D/ it's a great "hobby" this, so next step is maybe getting yourself a weathersite on the web  :grin:

And of course you know that here you are on the best wx forum too  =D>

Just wanted to let you all know that I received my station yesterday and have it all set up and running.

Everything seems to be fine with it other than I am not sure if the rain sensor is picking up the correct amount of rain, we had some rather heavy showers and I only registered 2mm.  I don't know how much rainfall equals a mm so maybe it's just me.

Anyways,  thanks to everyone who posted and gave their advice and info.

Dan
Davis Vantage PRO2 wireless
VWS V14.00 p103, WD ver.10.37N, WL 5.8.2, VVP.
WeatherFlash
DW1549
WeatherUnderground: INORDLAN14
http://bjornli.net                     

anything