Author Topic: CWOP not reporting my data this morning  (Read 5140 times)

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: CWOP not reporting my data this morning
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2015, 08:55:37 PM »
Just in case there's confusion, WU does not get there data from MADIS.

Offline floodcaster

• Forecaster
    • Goose Lake Weather
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2015, 09:01:11 PM »

Okay, I'm pretty sure I successfully signed up with NOAA today.  I got several email replies to my request within a half a day.  Much more of a response than I expected on such short notice!

Good deal. Here's hoping you get things sorted out.

Beaudog: Thanks for the clarification.
Bill

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2015, 05:14:34 PM »
You guys might find this interesting.  First is my latest email to NOAA and the second is their very prompt response:

My email:
You know, I hate to even mention this but if you look at my data for the last hour or so you will see that my data wasn't being recorded for a period of time.  I mention it because it has happened before, and it isn't just me, and it isn't just Rainwise.  Some other guys on wxforum.net have seen it too.  The grassy knoll types think it may have something to do with some Internet servers in Texas.  I don't know what it is, but it happens to me a few times a month.  The data inexplicably stops being reported to CWOP, and then just as inexplicably it starts up again, usually within a couple of hours.  I don't really expect an answer, but I thought this was an opportunity to put this problem in front of some intelligent eyes.  Thanks again for all your help.

NOAA reply:
Hrmph. The internet servers in Texas moved, with me, to Oklahoma about 3 years ago. I have had more network interruptions here, but I'm hoping a new set of virtual machines I'm migrating to will help fix that. Different cloud different building, different network. When they were in Texas, I controlled the infrastructure at Texas A&M a whole lot more than I can here.

And, the overall number of stations doesn't drop nearly as much as a lot of folks want to think. I will keep a watch on it, though.

Our biggest, documented problem is, some servers do go down and take time to ramp back up. cwop.aprs.net and rotate.aprs.net are two "rotation" addresses. The order and server that come up are different each time. And the problem is Windows, overall. While Win 7/8 are better, they still don't do internet properly. If an application is running, every time it has an update to send, it SHOULD ask for the address using a system called the Domain Name Service, and will get a number of options. It should store each IP address in an array, and try them in order (the order will generally change each time it's queried, so while it's possible you'll get the same IP address for a server twice in a row, statistically that change is slim. The application SHOULD then try each server, in sequence, to send the data update, until it finds and logs into one.

Some Windows apps get the first address in the list, lock on to it and use that one 'til the application is restarted. Some will get the first address, log in, and never let go. We've taken steps to disconnect 'em and these generally will work better than the first set. Few actually record all the addresses, and step through 'til they get a hit, send the data, then disconnect. Which is what the spec says they SHOULD do.

Thanks for bringing that up; I'll watch a bit more closely, and hustle on the changeover for my personal servers.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2015, 05:49:39 PM »
I just pulled up 7 days worth of data and it's all there. I haven't had a problem with CWOP for a good month or so.

Offline C5250

• Forecaster
    • Local weather
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2015, 12:02:52 AM »
You guys might find this interesting.  First is my latest email to NOAA and the second is their very prompt response:

Are you sure that was actually from NOAA? I suspect that email was from Gerry C., who has maintained the CWOP rotate servers ever since APRS core decided they no longer wanted the CWOP traffic (except for HAMS). Although he is well connected with NOAA and is sometimes termed an associate, I'm pretty sure he not a NOAA employee.
Precious little in your life is yours by right and won without a fight.

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2015, 08:15:59 AM »

Are you sure that was actually from NOAA? I suspect that email was from Gerry C., who has maintained the CWOP rotate servers ever since APRS core decided they no longer wanted the CWOP traffic (except for HAMS). Although he is well connected with NOAA and is sometimes termed an associate, I'm pretty sure he not a NOAA employee.

You could be right, but it was a NOAA email address, so I assumed some NOAA affiliation.

Offline C5250

• Forecaster
    • Local weather
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2015, 10:14:55 PM »
You could be right, but it was a NOAA email address, so I assumed some NOAA affiliation.

Whatever the case may be, it appears that bad DNS practices are thought to be the biggest issue these days. That issue started when the round robin names were introduced. If your software allows for entering more than one address, what you might do is use rotate.aprs.net and/or cwop.aprs.net and then cwop1, cwop2, cwop3 and/or cwop4. Or some combination thereof. I would recommend at least one rotation address as the first to try, as cwop1, etc. are specific servers which may not be working at any given time.

If you don't have multiple server options, ask your software author why not. You might also check if the same server is always being used by checking router logs and/or a program such as Wireshark. Another thing that comes to mind is that this could be a router issue if your router is your DNS server and the router is always returning a cached entry.

Precious little in your life is yours by right and won without a fight.

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2015, 11:30:58 PM »
Yes, there are NOAA personnel involved with CWOP issues.

Phillip, where are you?