Author Topic: WX station with remote indoor sensor monitoring?  (Read 7188 times)

Offline plectron25

WX station with remote indoor sensor monitoring?
« on: March 08, 2008, 12:36:26 PM »
I would like to set up an inexpensive (under $600) Internet accessible weather station at my mother's home in Vermont where she has WildBlue satellite based Internet service.  I have set up a webcam there, so I know I can get access over the Internet using dynamic dns. 

She does not have any computers that run 24x7, so I need a standalone data collection unit that can be configured to upload data perhaps once every 15-60 minutes.  I would like to find a solution that will support additional data probes such as indoor temperature probes so I can also monitor the house and greenhouse temperatures.  I don't care if all of the data is posted to the Internet, but that would be nice (most upload sites tend to only log outdoor data from what I can see).  It would be OK if I could only connect over the (slow, high latency satellite based) Internet connection to access the data.   I would also like to be able to set temperature limits that would trigger an e-mail notification to me on indoor low temperature conditions.

I have assorted WinXP and Unix servers at my location that can run server software remotely if that will work, so a weather console that can collect data and send it out via IP to a computer at my end running a suitable application is also possible.

My mother also asked for a unit that has an easily read display-  she is mainly interested in temperatures, wind speed, humidity, rainfall.

Another concern is that I need to keep within the "Fair Access Policy" of Wildblue-  it appears that the data being uploaded from any of these weather stations is pretty low-  perhaps 512 bytes per data point uploaded? 
http://www.wildblue.com/legal/fair.jsp
Value Pak service

Suggestions for systems+software to consider?  Commercial and/or open source (NSLU2?) solutions are OK.

Thanks in advance.

Offline MesquiteWx

• Forecaster
    • Mesquite Weather
Re: WX station with remote indoor sensor monitoring?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 12:45:25 PM »
I would suggest a Davis VantagePro 2 with Virtual Weather Station internet edition. Then get the weather link data logger. The Davis comes ether wired or wireless. I have the wireless version and I am very happy with it. If you are not wanting to connect to a computer then you can do without the others and just get the Weather Station. If you want to connect to a computer you will need at least weather link. The Davis is just under $600 with the weather link.

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
    • WUHU Software Yahoo Group
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 02:20:34 PM »

I was considering developing a cheap interface using one of those open source routers, then I found this:

http://www.meteohub.de/joomla/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

More than likely they support CWOP and Weather Underground.

The license is $50 Euro, you supply your own router ($50 U.S.).

This might be a nice alternative to even a low-power PC.

Offline plectron25

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 04:17:02 PM »

I was considering developing a cheap interface using one of those open source routers, then I found this:

http://www.meteohub.de/joomla/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

Very useful information-  that is the software for the WeatherHub AMBNSLU2 product being sold pre-configured by AmbientWeather.  Adding up the components it looks like the premium that AmbientWeather charges to load and test everything is not too bad.  I was also able to read the manual for the software to better understand its features.  The open questions after reading the manual:

-Can it send e-mail on low temperature or other conditions?

-What are the differences between WeatherHub AMBNSLU2 and Meteohub?  The Meteohub software will let me upload to my own FTP server and include additional sensor data; when I had asked AmbientWeather they indicated that only the primary outdoor sensors were supported by their version for upload to Weather Underground and such.

The Davis WeatherLinkIP option also sounds interesting-  I might be able to do what I want with that one, but when I called their support line and asked whether DIRECT IP access was possible they said no.  That seems odd since they do indicate you can connect to it from in your LAN, so why a live / dynamic DNS address would not also allow access does not make sense.

Offline MesquiteWx

• Forecaster
    • Mesquite Weather
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 04:50:04 PM »
The Davis WeatherLinkIP option also sounds interesting-  I might be able to do what I want with that one, but when I called their support line and asked whether DIRECT IP access was possible they said no.  That seems odd since they do indicate you can connect to it from in your LAN, so why a live / dynamic DNS address would not also allow access does not make sense.

I do not use the weather link software just the hardware to connect the Davis Console to my computer. The software I am using is Virtual Weather Station internet edition. It will do everything you are wanting to do including FTP templates to the internet and you can even make custom templates with the information you need and it supports data from extra sensors. I just use VWS to send my data to Hamweather/Weather For You for my main weather display on my site and to send data to Weather Underground and CWOP. Version 14 supports sending to Weather Bug but it is not stable yet. I had problems with it not sending data to HamWeather and Weather Bug does not send the data to your Location Manager so they still have some stuff to work out with that version. The version they are shipping is v13 but you can upgrade to v14 to try it.

Offline weatherforyou

• Forecaster
  • My weather is on WeatherForYou.com. Is yours?
    • http://www.weatherforyou.com
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 11:01:02 PM »
More than likely they support CWOP and Weather Underground.
And weatherforyou.com.   :?
Joe Torsitano

Offline plectron25

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 08:46:58 AM »
I think I am going to purchase the AmbientWeather pre-loaded NSLU2 with the meteohub software and a Davis Vantage Pro2.  While Meteohub says they support the Davis unit I don't see that mentioned on the AmbientWeather site-  presumably they just have not updated their web site yet; I just have to order the AMBNSLU2 with the USB adapter option for the Davis to work?

Has anyone else confirmed that combination?

Offline MesquiteWx

• Forecaster
    • Mesquite Weather
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 09:11:51 AM »
If you are going to connect the Davis to your computer regardless if you use the included software you are going to need to get weather link because you need the hardware included that connects the Davis to your computer. That is the only downfall IMO with Davis is this hardware is not included, it has to be purchased separately. So with that said you need to get the serial version because I have read things about the USB not working very well. I use the serial version and a lot will recommend it as well. I have not had one problem as of yet with it. If you have any question about software just call Ambient and I am sure Ed can answer any questions you might have. Since I do not use that software I really can not comment on it but others might be able to.