Author Topic: Freezing Levels  (Read 1820 times)

Offline garethjharvey

Freezing Levels
« on: December 07, 2011, 08:32:50 AM »
I’ve been considering for some time purchasing a weather station and one facet of the weather I would like to record is the freezing level. I enjoy winter mountaineering and it would be really useful to know reasonable accurately where the freezing level is so I can estimate what routes would be likely to be in condition.

At the most basic level I’m aware that dry air drops by about 1 degrees C per 100 meter and saturated moist air, drops by about 0.5 degrees C per 100 meter. However, I would assume that in reality the situation is going to be far more complicated than this! But I’m presuming that, as long as I know my current altitude, temperature and humidity level, I should be able to estimate the current freezing level. However, do any weather station (or operating systems) log and graph this data?  Would I need any other sensors to calculate this?

Thanks

Gareth

Offline 4wd

• Forecaster
    • North York Moors weather
Re: Freezing Levels
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 10:43:08 AM »
Weather-Display software will calculate this for you, I assume it's simply based on the station altitude (entered when setting up) and current temperature.
I have it showing on my webpage - currently 1200feet and the station is at 650feet with a temperature of 3.3C/38F

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 11:19:29 AM »
Remember that your calculation is a rough approximation only based on temperature lapse rates from your station readings, and as you know, in mountainous areas temperture profiles are anything but  equally distributed (ie. inversions)
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline garethjharvey

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 11:30:02 AM »
I'm aware that the mountain environment can do funny thing to lapse rates and gets in the way of making generalisations. However, I was just wondering if you factored in variables such as pressure and humidity) could you get a reasonable accurate reading.