Author Topic: Good weather station for gardening  (Read 2151 times)

Offline augiem

Good weather station for gardening
« on: March 28, 2010, 02:07:13 PM »
Hi,

I just found this forum and it has a lot of great information. But you already know that...  :grin:
I have an older and cheap Oregon Scientific station and I can't say I'm too impressed with the quality and reliability. Before I spend money on more wireless sensors which seems overpriced for what they are I thought I'd see if there are better options out there for my needs.

This is what I want:
-Support for 3 wireless temperature sensors, including probe for soil temperature.
-Good build quality and reliability.
-Nice to have: sensor for soil moisture.
-Nice to have: computer data logging.
-Lowest priority: wind and rain data. I can do without those.

It seems the Davis Vantage Vue is very popular and although it's more than I'd like to spend I could stretch my budget. However by looking at the Davis site it seems it doesn't support any sensors other than the ISS.

Let me know if you have any suggestions.
AM

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
Re: Good weather station for gardening
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 06:27:07 PM »
Hi,

I just found this forum and it has a lot of great information. But you already know that...  :grin:
I have an older and cheap Oregon Scientific station and I can't say I'm too impressed with the quality and reliability. Before I spend money on more wireless sensors which seems overpriced for what they are I thought I'd see if there are better options out there for my needs.

This is what I want:
-Support for 3 wireless temperature sensors, including probe for soil temperature.
-Good build quality and reliability.
-Nice to have: sensor for soil moisture.
-Nice to have: computer data logging.
-Lowest priority: wind and rain data. I can do without those.

It seems the Davis Vantage Vue is very popular and although it's more than I'd like to spend I could stretch my budget. However by looking at the Davis site it seems it doesn't support any sensors other than the ISS.

Let me know if you have any suggestions.
AM

I think the Irox/Honeywell can do this.  It supports up to 8 sensors and I believe has an option or a specific sensor type that uses a probe that can be used as soil temp.  You'll get the standard sensor with the unit, but can buy a separate sensor that does the soil temp.  You can also buy just a standard temp/hygro sensor as an addon without the probe.

Do a search for TE923W (I have one).  Some of the newer units which don't include the UV meter might suit you as well, because all of these units support the same sensors.  The standard temp sensor is model TS34C; the sensor with a probe is TS33F.
Current setup: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline C5250

• Forecaster
    • Local weather
Re: Good weather station for gardening
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 09:39:41 AM »

The console is what doesn't support the extra sensors. It is possible to use a Vue ISS with a VP2 console, one place even sells such a combo, and then have support for additional sensors.
Precious little in your life is yours by right and won without a fight.

anything