Author Topic: Nexrad 3 Gone  (Read 1756 times)

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
Nexrad 3 Gone
« on: January 12, 2014, 12:51:31 AM »
Well, it looks like we can all add Nexrad 3 to the list of weather programs that went to the wayside. Storm Predator is already on that list, and I'm afraid Weatherstudio is getting close to that.  :roll: #-o It's a shame we pay money for these programs, then get burned in the end.
Joe Fitzwater
Chief Meteorologist for WVNS-TV 59 in Beckley, WV

Work Page on Facebook -> www.facebook.com/meteojoe
Work Page on Twitter -> https://twitter.com/meteojoe
Waterfalls -> www.wvfalls.com

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
Re: Nexrad 3 Gone
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 07:19:09 AM »
Nexrad 3"s website went down about a month and half a go. The domain is now up for sale so you're probably right it's gone. It's a shame because I have used it for years and still do. The url's for the data are hard codded into the software so when/if the NWS changes those it will be worthless.
I do know that a couple years ago the author suffered a stroke and while he did recover he told me things were still tough.
I didn't know that Weatherstudio was also going away. That's the first I heard of that. One of these days I did want to purchase that product. Mainly for it's tropical coverage.
It's pretty much GR3 or nothing else anymore. Kind of surprised that no one else has stepped up to offer another product.
I think eventually a lot of the weather apps we use on our phones will be able to run on our home computers.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
Re: Nexrad 3 Gone
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 06:09:27 PM »
I agree, and let me clear myself. I'm not saying Weatherstudio is gone, but I have not seen or heard from the author since October, which is a loooonnngg time for him. I hope he comes back because he had a good product going.

And I liked Nexrad3 for the cool custom radar screen. Good product, sad that it's gone. :-(
Joe Fitzwater
Chief Meteorologist for WVNS-TV 59 in Beckley, WV

Work Page on Facebook -> www.facebook.com/meteojoe
Work Page on Twitter -> https://twitter.com/meteojoe
Waterfalls -> www.wvfalls.com