Author Topic: 1and1 FTP outage  (Read 6015 times)

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
1and1 FTP outage
« on: March 01, 2009, 03:34:31 PM »
If anyone is using 1And1 and wonders why they have a problem today, they dropped their FTP exchange about 9AM Pacific time. Just getting off the phone with them now 1230PST, they said "It might be a few more hours..."

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit
www.LasCruces-Weather.com   www.EastMesaWeather.com

Offline ALITTLEweird1

• Mark
  • Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • North Bend Weather
Re: 1and1 FTP outage
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 04:01:55 PM »
This is nice. I just called them too. Still no update on when they think it may be back online. So much for working on my site.
"Nature can do without man, but man cannot do without nature."

Software: WeatherDisplay
Hardware: Davis VP2 + VP2 Solar + VP2 UV + Lightning Detector + Logitech Webcam + Soil temp + Soil Moisture

Offline ALITTLEweird1

• Mark
  • Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • North Bend Weather
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 06:04:25 PM »
This is kind of funny..

http://status.1and1.com/
"Nature can do without man, but man cannot do without nature."

Software: WeatherDisplay
Hardware: Davis VP2 + VP2 Solar + VP2 UV + Lightning Detector + Logitech Webcam + Soil temp + Soil Moisture

Offline kray1000

• Purveyor of wry
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.roanokevalleyweather.com
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 06:36:33 PM »
This is kind of funny..

http://status.1and1.com/

Says it was updated March 2, 2009.  No time, just a date.

I guess one check a day, a day ahead of time, is sufficient. 

Apparently, if it functions as a paperweight, it doesn't have to be operational.

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 07:55:29 PM »
t's not all 1and1 that's affected .. my shared host there has been working fine all day.

The place to send complaints to is complaints@1and1.com

Their servers are generally reliable, however, when there are problems with the server you are assigned to, it may indeed that 24hrs to get things resolved.  It doesn't help that the very friendly but mostly ineffectual first-level support from overseas has no ability to directly contact the administrators based in their datacenters.  The administrators run on their own timescale and there is no escalation or feedback path.  Things will be fixed when they are fixed.  Sigh.
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 09:06:07 PM »
The way they were talking/hemming/hawing this afternoon, it almost sounded like some sort of catastrophic failure along the lines of Email, FTP - and I think she said 'system wide' for those aspects. I know it took a while to get thru due to volume of related calls (acording to the support gal).

The irony of it all for me is that 2 days ago I upgraded to their "Business" package, and initiated transfer on 2 other domain names I have... Never had any real problems (my 1st year) until now.  ](*,) As always - 'just my luck'!  #-o

The problem I have with their 1st level tech support is I usually get some very cute sounding Philippina chick.

I'm a sucker for very cute sounding Philippina chicks...

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 09:08:11 PM »
t's not all 1and1 that's affected .. my shared host there has been working fine all day.
First thing I did after I viewed my FTP logs was check you, knowing you use them. You were updating and seemingly w/out a problem and ended up calling them because of that!

Offline tomcj2

• Forecaster
    • CanbyWeather
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 10:32:30 PM »
very cute sounding Philippina chick.
"
in the early 70's I invited out a cute sounding credit bureau operator.  She was 5'8" in every direction

Davis VP2 (6163), WL 5.9.0..  VWS 14.01 p25, Panasonic HM371A camera. WU & W4U KORCANBY3, CoCoRaHS OR-CC-27

anything