Author Topic: Ambient Weather WS-1001-WiFi - Fog and now rain causing temperatures to soar.  (Read 1214 times)

Offline johnashp

• Fuente Meca, Spain PWS
To date my 2 year 10 month old Ambient Weather WS-1001-WiFi has performed pretty well and I felt temperatures have been pretty representative.

However, a few days ago we had quite thick fog at night and I noticed the temperature was being reported as some 10°C above what it should be. As the fog cleared, the temperature returned to an accurate one.

Last night we had heavy rain. The temperature gradually climbed over about 4 hours until it was around 12°C more than it should have been.

Any ideas, please? (I wanted to go into Weather Underground to delete or amend the unrepresentative results but, though I seemed to delete results, once the page refreshed, the "deleted" results were all back again. Weather Underground seems to be very flaky these days!)

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
I would put a glass thermometer at the site of the pws to verify that the pws is actually reporting erroneous data.

Amazon sells nice glass ones used for brewing that are pretty accurate. They can be further verified by testing in ice water and boiling water.

By doing this you could determine if the sensors are wrong or if the fog/rain actually was accompanied by elevated temps.

Offline johnashp

• Fuente Meca, Spain PWS
Thanks for the response!

I do have another external thermometer and it confirms that these temperature readings are way too high, as do reports from neighbouring weather stations. Although it's a bit humid this morning, temperatures are showing as normal.

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
@johnashp
See this thread where this problem was discussed with possible fixes.
http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=32189.msg335167#msg335167

Hope this help.

Davis VP2 6163 | WiFi Logger
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline johnashp

• Fuente Meca, Spain PWS
Yes thanks. I will have to get my WS down off its pole and take a look.