Author Topic: Deeper funnel top and hydrobead  (Read 5542 times)

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
Deeper funnel top and hydrobead
« on: October 17, 2017, 02:40:44 PM »
I've modified a few Coco gauges with deeper funnel and started using a spray called Hydrobead inside funnel area. This stuff is so slick it's amazing, you virtually get no beading in funnel area.

I started looking for a solution after comparing rainfall between the standard (non modified)  and extended (modified) funnel and was finding .01 less measured rainfall with the modified funnel because surface area was collecting more water droplets.

Haven't actually had a rain yet since the hydrobead just came in but my testing showed virtually no beading at all so every drop of water will get measured.

Reason for the extended Coco top is to prevent splash out which I've experienced many times when comparing a fully open coco gauge against fully assembled Coco gauge on heavy downpours and hail collection.

A few pics...I also sprayed inside the standard coco gauge along with both tipping buckets. Don't use a spray like this with the standard NWS 8" diameter gauge because you could contaminate the dip stick.
This Hydrobead spray may last up to a full year outside (have doubts on that claim) and also repels snow and ice, just a warning as you can see it puts a white glaze on surface.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 02:49:18 PM by ValentineWeather »
Randy

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
Re: Deeper funnel top and hydrobead
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 05:28:29 PM »
Good thing the coco gauge only measures .01. Imagine if you were short .001! :-P
It never ceases to amaze me how we try to refine this hobby so every raindrop and every tiny little temperature change is accounted for. We have gone from splitting hairs to splitting the hairs we just split.
Randy I'm just razin you a bit because if I would have done what you did and noticed a difference I would have been looking for a reason why also.
Keep up the good work and I'm going to be looking for that product. 
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 06:11:03 PM »
The .01 I agree isn't a biggy but it bugged me enough because I could see the little droplets sticking to the additional plastic plus the area where the extension molded together was collecting additional droplets.
They do say because every drop counts... =D> If the spray works and it does I'm going to use it.

Now just to be clear this .01 loss was only due to the deeper funnel. The deeper funnel itself will increase catch substantially with hail and heavy rain. 
Randy

Offline benay ra'am

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 08:15:47 PM »
Where did you buy this product at?

CoCoRaHS: NC-JH-80

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 09:45:57 PM »
Randy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 10:50:41 PM »
Video I saw using plastic. It works just like video with plastic coco funnel nothing sticks.
[youtube]https://youtu.be/yn0Qd9eY-IM[/youtube]
Randy

Offline Jasiu

• Forecaster
    • LexMAWeather
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2017, 11:19:03 PM »
Thoughts about using this on an anemometer? Would it mess up the accuracy?

I ask because anytime we get a wet snow my anemometer collects the snow and eventually gets stuck, until it all melts off again.
https://lexmaweather.info
On Mastodon: @LexMAWeather@toot.community

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2017, 11:32:20 PM »
Should work good. Really like it with raingauges.
Randy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 02:28:18 PM »
This hydrobead works excellent for catching winter snow also in outer chamber and getting a precise amount not leaving any droplets behind.
I really can't say enough good about it when using the cocorahs gauges.
Randy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2018, 02:58:04 PM »
I also sprayed inside both tipping buckets.
Kinda wish you'd only did one. Reason being, since this stuff works so well, I wonder if during heavier downpours the slicker one may have more spill out due to faster water fall than the "normal" one and under report and also read a higher rain rate, then you could compare. No biggie I guess.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2018, 03:05:56 PM »
Don't think its that slippery just should be more accurate because its not leaving droplets (weight) on tipper underside or in spoon.
Randy

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2018, 12:05:19 AM »
I've used NeverWet for my DirecTV antenna and it works great keeping snow off of it. However, having to put on two different sprays makes it a pain on a ladder. It is also very grainy. Is the Hydrobead product smooth or pebbly? I see there is also another product called Waterbeader. That is available on Amazon for $24.95 for a 11oz spray bottle.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2018, 04:49:26 AM »
I used the 2 part spray neverwet I believe was the name you can pick up in most hardware stores for old kitchen table I moved outside for patio furniture. This stuff is smooth and leaves a white film. I'll take a look at the waterbeader product also.
Randy