Author Topic: banned or not!  (Read 1705 times)

Offline 4wd

• Forecaster
    • North York Moors weather
banned or not!
« on: February 15, 2014, 06:43:57 AM »
I briefly had a spell where I could not view this forum at all as it said I was banned (forever!) for too many failed log-ins.
But now I can post let alone view it - apparently.
Shouldn't I have got some email about failed log-ins?
Or was someone.thing busily trying to guess the log-in detail right then.
It's a little concerning.
Not that I can't live without WXForum but that the forum might be under attack in some way.

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
Re: banned or not!
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 01:35:19 PM »
You are not banned, but you did happen to use IP addresses (likely proxy servers) that are banned (due to cracking attempts on various users passwords).

I found 3 access attempts from 46.19.138.138 and 2 from 5.152.201.74 and all were denied.

Your post above was from an unrelated IP address (and was successful).
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline 4wd

• Forecaster
    • North York Moors weather
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 05:39:31 AM »
That is probably what caused it, as I sometimes use a proxy to view a video only available locally in Switzerland.
The odd thing now is that Chrome continues to say I am banned on one computer even with my real IP address, but not on the other even though it's a linked google account and the browsers sync all cookies etc.
With firefox it is OK including on the machine which says I'm banned.  :roll:
There only seems to be one WXforum cookie and clearing it does not fix it.

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 11:17:35 AM »
It's all about the IP address used to access the forum -- your ID/email is not banned.  When you get a 'banned' message, just use the same browser session to access http://www.wxforum.net/info.php and it will show what IP address was used.  Send that IP address to me (when you have a session that's not banned) and I'll see if it is on the naughty list for past misbehavior.

The wxforum.net cookie only contains your session info (primarily for use with the unread-since-last-visit) or your credentials (if you selected keep-me-logged-on when you signed in last).  The cookie shouldn't affect the banned/not-banned display at all.
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP