Author Topic: 1st rain event today!  (Read 4067 times)

Offline Lite

1st rain event today!
« on: January 17, 2010, 05:45:04 AM »
I work outside and I never thought I would be excited about a rainy day  =D> , today is my first chance to watch my new vp2 record a rain event . Unfortunately I'll be watching it via weatherlink and WU from work.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Re: 1st rain event today!
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 06:04:56 AM »
It's still exciting though. You are still seeing it in action, doing it's stuff.   \:D/

Offline casa manana

• Senior Contributor
    • Sedona, AZ
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 12:20:37 PM »
I remember desperately trying to set up my Davis station as a thunderstorm was approaching.  i didn't want to miss a drop!  laughed out loud when the "Raining cats and dogs" message came up on the console.

you'll have plenty more fun with highest ever wind gust, highest and lowest temps, etc.  It's amazing how much fun it is when it's YOUR data.

enjoy.

Offline WeatherGoose

• Forecaster
  • LIVE from the Southern Sierra Nevada!
    • Sierra Springs Village - MADIS Station D2149 - Bass Lake Ca.
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 12:26:17 PM »
I remember desperately trying to set up my Davis station as a thunderstorm was approaching.  i didn't want to miss a drop!  laughed out loud when the "Raining cats and dogs" message came up on the console.

you'll have plenty more fun with highest ever wind gust, highest and lowest temps, etc.  It's amazing how much fun it is when it's YOUR data.

enjoy.

So true!   :grin:  =D>

HARDWARE: Davis VP2 wireless w/daytime FARS - Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000 - Apple 24" iMAC - OSX 10.6.2
SOFTWARE: Lightsoft Weather Center for Mac OSX -  EVOcam 2.6.5

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 12:44:40 PM »
I have found it interesting to see HOW MUCH rain it takes to get .10 inches.

More that I thought

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline WeatherGoose

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 01:04:16 PM »

More that I thought

When I first got my VP2 last year I thought exactly the same thing.  "Is this thing working?"  I wondered, and then it "finally" tipped!  It became a lot more meaningful to me when I would hear the term "No measurable rain".   You can get what seems like a lot and still not get a tip sometimes.  ;)

HARDWARE: Davis VP2 wireless w/daytime FARS - Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000 - Apple 24" iMAC - OSX 10.6.2

Offline rrwcf

• "How's the weather up there?"
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 10:51:14 PM »
I work outside and I never thought I would be excited about a rainy day  =D> , today is my first chance to watch my new vp2 record a rain event . Unfortunately I'll be watching it via weatherlink and WU from work.
I had the exact same experience a couple days ago.  The rain started.  I waited.  waited.  waited... Then it happened!  My station reported it first 0.01-inch of rain!  The crowd went WILD!  I took a screenshot of the graph and sent it to my wife.
She marveled.
At my silliness.

We all had a good laugh.  But deep down: I was in 7th heaven.

God Bless you,

Russ

(Rom 1:16,17)
"For I am not ashamed of the gospel: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
For therein is reve

Offline WeatherGoose

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 01:04:36 AM »
I had the exact same experience a couple days ago.  The rain started.  I waited.  waited.  waited... Then it happened!  My station reported it first 0.01-inch of rain!  The crowd went WILD!  I took a screenshot of the graph and sent it to my wife.
She marveled.
At my silliness.

We all had a good laugh.  But deep down: I was in 7th heaven.

God Bless you,

Russ

LOL!  =D>

Offline upweather

• Lake Superior snow belt
  • Forecaster
  • record snowfall 315.5" season 99.9"
    • superior region weather
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 02:23:16 AM »
Congrats on your first reading \:D/ I get that way when it starts snowing, believe me it takes a while to get .01 when it's 15 degrees and lake effect is light by reputation....now it's dry and warm  :-(
VP2 6153 W/24HR FARS, HEATER,WEATHERLINK IP
CoCoRaHS MI-AG-1 ,CWOP-DW3971 ,
nearby webcam http://www.upadventures.net/webcam.php

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 07:41:36 PM »

More that I thought

When I first got my VP2 last year I thought exactly the same thing.  "Is this thing working?"  I wondered, and then it "finally" tipped!  It became a lot more meaningful to me when I would hear the term "No measurable rain".   You can get what seems like a lot and still not get a tip sometimes.  ;)

Every time it rains, I find myself staring at the console... "Is this ever going to tip???"

Then again - there ARE times when I don't think it can keep up!

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit
www.LasCruces-Weather.com   www.EastMesaWeather.com

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2010, 08:10:32 PM »
We have a tropical depression headed our way (rubbing my hands together in anticipation) and I'm hoping for some rain to try out my rain gauge mods./adjustments. My eyes will be glued to the consoles as well. =D>

Offline Lite

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2010, 08:21:35 PM »
Well I'm happy to report that my first rain event was a stunning success. I watched from my smartphone @ work and saw the first and second .01". My storm total was .82" giving me .84" for the year (a little melting snow)It was really cool to see how it separated the storm total into two days. .76" on day one and .06" after midnight the second day.

Sorry for the late report but I work long hours and getting to post can be a bit of a problem.

GOOD LUCK DAN !! enjoy the storm  =D> \:D/

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2010, 08:50:55 PM »
We have a tropical depression headed our way (rubbing my hands together in anticipation) and I'm hoping for some rain to try out my rain gauge mods./adjustments. My eyes will be glued to the consoles as well. =D>

I wanna know, have you ever seen the rain?
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2010, 06:28:32 PM »

I wanna know, have you ever seen the rain?

ROTFL! Where do you find this stuff anyway? Thanks for the laugh, YEAHHHHHHHHH!