Author Topic: 2 consoles, different temperatures  (Read 2018 times)

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
2 consoles, different temperatures
« on: December 16, 2016, 11:06:38 AM »
So in this picture on the left is my old VP2 console and on the right is my new one

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

I have my old data logger in the old console. Doesnt work in my new one.
So why would my old console not record temps below zero and the new one does.
My old VP2 was a VP2 vs the new one is a VP2 Plus.

I have a new temp sensor I was going to put in but I guess that wasn't the issue.

Ideas?
Tony

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
Re: 2 consoles, different temperatures
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 12:01:35 PM »
What's the console firmware version in each of them?

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 12:32:02 PM »
I'll have to figure out how to check. One is a 2004 VP2 & the other is from 2014
Tony

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2016, 12:40:20 PM »
There isn't a calibration setting active on one of the console's is there?
Mark

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2016, 12:44:06 PM »
The old one (left) looks like the sensors in the oven, 164°
Randy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2016, 12:49:27 PM »
The old sht11 sensor wasn't very good at low temperatures usually ran on high side below zero several degrees. You can see on the spec sheet accuracy wasn't great at low temperatures.

The new digital temperatures sensors will work but you will need the newer transmitter also. 
Randy

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2016, 12:50:32 PM »
The data logger shouldn't affect readings on the console. I would reset the console back to the factory settings. Look at the manual on how to do that. Davis changed the datalogger a few years back such that the old one doesn't fit into newer consoles. I understand Davis will exchange it for you at nominal cost.
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2016, 12:59:19 PM »
My understanding he wants to use old unit because it has data logger. New unit doesn't but the old unit isn't accurate low temperatures. This is why at -20C  -3F the SHT11 was +/- 1.7C accuracy or 3F. One of the reason to have new SHT31.
Randy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2016, 02:25:04 PM »
Another screwy thing is it shows a wind chill of 134F :lol: when there's no wind.

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2016, 02:36:41 PM »
Well, I did order a "compatible" data logger for my new console.

The part that makes me scratch my head is that they are reading the same ISS Temp sensor
So maybe I'll ask Davis why this is acting this way.

Tony

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2016, 02:38:27 PM »
Another screwy thing is it shows a wind chill of 134F :lol: when there's no wind.

As previously noted, user should reset old console to factory conditions and see if that fixes issue--could be the console died after serving this user for several years.  :cry: Need to call Davis support to learn how to swap out the old data logger for a new one to work in the new console. Support might also have ideas on how to reinvigorate old console. Very unusual for old consoles to die--they normally keep chugging along for years. Speaking from experience, I have two of them approaching 12 years of age and they are fine.
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2016, 02:40:26 PM »

The part that makes me scratch my head is that they are reading the same ISS Temp sensor

Did you ensure both consoles are receiving data from the same station and not a "troubled" station nearby? And, did you take Davis up on exchanging your old data logger for one that will fit your new console?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 03:46:01 PM by WheatonRon »

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2016, 02:48:02 PM »
I'll have to figure out how to check. One is a 2004 VP2 & the other is from 2014

Just to be clear -- you have a VP2-Plus ISS from 2014, and one console came with that 2014 ISS, and the other console is a 2004 model.

To check firmware version on the console, according to page 40 of the console manual:

"Press and hold DONE then press the up arrow at the same time to display the
console firmware version in the ticker at the bottom of the screen.

You can also obviously check via the Weatherlink program.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 10:09:18 PM by dalecoy »

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2016, 04:26:00 PM »

Just to be clear -- you have a VP2-Plus ISS from 2014, and one console came with that 2014 ISS, and the other console is a 2004 model.

To check firmware version on the console, according to another posting:
"For future reference, just press Done and the Up cursor button. Then watch the ticker. You can also obviously check via the Weatherlink program, but Done+Up is simplest if you're on the spot."

The firmware on pre April 2006 can only be upgraded to 1.90. The newer consoles can be upgraded to firmware version 3.xx. If the newer firmware was installed on the older unit, maybe that is the cause of the weird readings--but you would think Davis would ensure updating a console with incompatible firmware could not happen! 
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 04:39:45 PM by WheatonRon »

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2016, 04:30:45 PM »

Did you ensure both consoles are receiving data from the same station and not a "troubled" station nearby? And, did you take Davis up on exchanging your old data logger for one that will fit your new console?

I'm the only game in town. Wind matches on both stations during the day so they are both pulling from my ISS

"For future reference, just press Done and the Up cursor button. Then watch the ticker. You can also obviously check via the Weatherlink program, but Done+Up is simplest if you're on the spot."

Yes. VP2+ & new ISS in 2014. Old console is from my old 2004 VP2 which is in my basement with no battery in it
and solar panel is unplugged too.

I will have to check the firmware in a few days and play some more. Have to travel to my sons wedding in the AM.
Tony

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2016, 05:06:16 PM »
The firmware on pre April 2006 can only be upgraded to 1.90. The newer consoles can be upgraded to firmware version 3.xx. If the newer firmware was installed on the older unit, maybe that is the cause of the weird readings--but you would think Davis would ensure updating a console with incompatible firmware could not happen!

It's also quite possible that the "old firmware in the old console" is not capable of properly handling the temperature data from the new ISS (at least when the temperature is below zero).

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2016, 05:08:19 PM »

but you would think Davis would ensure updating a console with incompatible firmware could not happen!
Pretty sure it can, tho.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2016, 10:24:25 PM »
This is a slightly better description of how to check the console firmware version. 

To check firmware version on the console, according to page 40 of the console manual:

"Press and hold DONE then press the up arrow at the same time to display the
console firmware version in the ticker at the bottom of the screen.

anything