Author Topic: ---- solar reading on console  (Read 956 times)

Offline willper

• Front Range Weather
---- solar reading on console
« on: May 01, 2013, 12:01:37 PM »
For the last few days I have noticed that my Davis VP pro 2 console has been reporting ---- for W/m2 solar reading. A few times it has shown a reading for a short while then goes back to the dotted lines.I opened the cover on the ISS and checked the connections for the solar connectors and did not see any corrosion or problem. Batteries have been changed in the last 2 months.

Thanks,

Bill

Wireless VP pro 2 with fan aspirated shield
Windows 8

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
Re: ---- solar reading on console
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 08:43:35 PM »
Mine did something like that.

I had changed the battery within a couple months.

I checked the battery voltage, which wasn't much over 1.0 v

I changed the battery and got a couple months of good readings.

Now some occasional wind speed problems.  I'm trying to find why the board drains the batteries.  We've had almost two weeks of no sun, plus a concern about the Supercap, so I have no answer, but I would strongly encourage you to not assume the battery was OK because you swapped it out a couple months ago.  I got into that mind trap until others here encouraged me to check the battery voltage again. 
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline willper

• Front Range Weather
Re: ---- solar reading on console
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 11:30:17 PM »
After lurking around the forum I noticed that there was a firmware upgrade for the console. I did the upgrade and the solar reading is all zero's, however that is because the sensor is covered with snow. Tomorrow I will clear it off expect to see readings if it quits snowing. Thanks for the help with information about the batteries.

Bill Percy