Author Topic: Updates to WU  (Read 2450 times)

Offline iowa_weather

Updates to WU
« on: June 22, 2016, 10:17:54 PM »
I've tried.  Really tried. But I cannot find it. My Google Fu has failed.

How does WL update to Wunderground?  Best I can surmise is there is a .dll that needs to be added to WL to get the functionality.  But I cannot find it on the Davis site.

Frustrating that the Davis Manual & site do not have this. Even more so, Wunderground does not have it. I'm usually very good at finding this type of stuff but I've spent hours looking.  This should be easy (at least that is my opinion)

Right now I am using Cumulus.  That was easy to set up.  I tried Weather Display and that is fairly advanced software. Got confused.  However, I probably could figure it out over time. Just not ready for that.

FWIW, these programs are pretty ancient.  I'm in the software field and these are 10-15 year old human-machine interfaces. Likely just the state of the industry (weather software), but it's pretty hard to look at.  Not a problem by any means. Weather monitor is a one man show from what I can tell, so makes sense.  However, for Davis. wow; I'd be embarrassed if I were a developer on it.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
Re: Updates to WU
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 10:37:34 PM »
http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WUndergroundModule-Readme.html

Note that you "can't" run multiple weather software programs at the same time (without some more stuff)

Offline iowa_weather

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 12:08:00 AM »
http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WUndergroundModule-Readme.html

Note that you "can't" run multiple weather software programs at the same time (without some more stuff)

AWESOME, thanks!

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 07:58:14 AM »
This is the info for getting WL to upload to WU.

http://wiki.wunderground.com/index.php/PWS_-_WeatherLink

It has a .dll that you need to add.

TO INSTALL THE MODULE
1) First install WeatherLink 5.5.1 (or later) or upgrade an earlier version.

If you do not already have WeatherLink version 5.5.1, you can upgrade from versions 5.0 - 5.4, goto: Davis Software Support

2) Download the expansion module here. Save the WuiWlink_1.dll file to your Weather Link Expansion Modules directory:
The Expansion Modules directory is usually in "C:\WeatherLink\Expansion_Modules".
That is... the file needs to go into a directory named "Expansion_Modules" within the Weather Link installation directory. You may have create the "Expansion_Modules" directory if it isn't already there.

3) Quit and restart (or start) the WeatherLink application.
4) Goto the "File" menu and select "Manage Modules".
5) Click the "Add Module" button. Find and select the WuiWlink_1.dll file.
6) Click "okay" several times until all of the dialog windows close.
7) Restart WeatherLink.

TO SETUP THE MODULE
1) Select "Wunderground Settings" from the "File" menu.
2) Enter your weather station ID and password, and the frequency of updates. You can find your Weather Station ID from: My Stations. Your password is the password you use to login to the wunderground.com site.
3) If you wish, click the "Test" button, and an observation will be sent. A dialog will appear indicating whether the operation was successful.

That's it. If your station is connected, it should start uploading observations using the new module.

If you want to run multiple programs, you need VirtualVP. http://www.softwx.com/downloads.html
That depends on the version of the data logger. Others can chime in.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 08:04:57 AM by chief-david »

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline iowa_weather

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 08:09:12 AM »
This is the info for getting WL to upload to WU.

http://wiki.wunderground.com/index.php/PWS_-_WeatherLink

It has a .dll that you need to add.

TO INSTALL THE MODULE
1) First install WeatherLink 5.5.1 (or later) or upgrade an earlier version.

If you do not already have WeatherLink version 5.5.1, you can upgrade from versions 5.0 - 5.4, goto: Davis Software Support

2) Download the expansion module here. Save the WuiWlink_1.dll file to your Weather Link Expansion Modules directory:
The Expansion Modules directory is usually in "C:\WeatherLink\Expansion_Modules".
That is... the file needs to go into a directory named "Expansion_Modules" within the Weather Link installation directory. You may have create the "Expansion_Modules" directory if it isn't already there.

3) Quit and restart (or start) the WeatherLink application.
4) Goto the "File" menu and select "Manage Modules".
5) Click the "Add Module" button. Find and select the WuiWlink_1.dll file.
6) Click "okay" several times until all of the dialog windows close.
7) Restart WeatherLink.

TO SETUP THE MODULE
1) Select "Wunderground Settings" from the "File" menu.
2) Enter your weather station ID and password, and the frequency of updates. You can find your Weather Station ID from: My Stations. Your password is the password you use to login to the wunderground.com site.
3) If you wish, click the "Test" button, and an observation will be sent. A dialog will appear indicating whether the operation was successful.

That's it. If your station is connected, it should start uploading observations using the new module.

If you want to run multiple programs, you need VirtualVP. http://www.softwx.com/downloads.html

I found that page but unfortunately the link to the file, which points to Davis's site, is broken.  Appears Davis moved or removed it. The page  dalecoy pointed me has it and points to the file on WU.

Thanks to both of you for helping!  Finding that dll was driving me nuts.

EDIT: on retrospect, I should have noted what I had found better.  Sorry.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 08:48:23 AM by iowa_weather »

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 08:53:38 AM »
Cool. I was going to grab it from my computer and send it to you if you could not find it.

It's not you-It's WU.

Offline iowa_weather

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 08:57:36 AM »
I just want to try out WL.  I haven't decided on which one fits me the best yet.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 10:03:05 AM »
I haven't decided on which one fits me the best yet.
You will soon

Paul

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2016, 10:05:27 AM »
As a (retired) IT professional, CCP, etc. - yes, I see that WeatherLink's presentation is "dated".  It doesn't blink, move, animate, change repidly, or offer user interaction.

However, it's very functional in giving a quick look at the current weather, and uses minimal bandwidth.

http://www.thecoys.net/weather/Current_Vantage_Pro_Plus.htm

Offline iowa_weather

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2016, 01:08:19 PM »
As a (retired) IT professional, CCP, etc. - yes, I see that WeatherLink's presentation is "dated".  It doesn't blink, move, animate, change repidly, or offer user interaction.

However, it's very functional in giving a quick look at the current weather, and uses minimal bandwidth.

http://www.thecoys.net/weather/Current_Vantage_Pro_Plus.htm

Cannot disagree with that at all. 

EDIT: and as I ponder that, there are software packages that have all that...and don't work.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 01:39:31 PM by iowa_weather »

Offline iowa_weather

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2016, 09:50:12 PM »
Got it reporting to WU.  Thanks everyone.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2016, 10:16:10 PM »
Good. Which part of the obsession will you take on next?

Website?
Multiple Software?
Social media?

It never ends. #-o

It's not you-It's WU.

Offline iowa_weather

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2016, 12:12:33 AM »
Good. Which part of the obsession will you take on next?

Website?
Multiple Software?
Social media?

It never ends. #-o

:lol:  Got a website working, just playing right now.  Next is...Family/self Education.   One of my kids is getting a kick out of it, the other...so so.

Right now I need to settle on a software package. If the station holds up in the next storm (fingers crossed) will take fliers to the neighbors so they know it is there.

Edit: and oh...self education....SOOO much to learn.....