Author Topic: windows 10 usb port communication error  (Read 24581 times)

Offline phqfh

• Paul's Weather Satellite and Waffle Page
Re: windows 10 usb port communication error
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2015, 09:01:42 AM »
Regarding windows 10 auto driver update
Just found this article
http://m.winsupersite.com/windows-10/stop-automatic-driver-updates-windows-10

Best regards
Paul H

Offline doug95630

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2015, 11:58:52 PM »
You might try calling Davis tech support.  Doubt they will ever respond to email.  I had to wait in a queue, but the guy was very helpful.

Offline rrmccabe

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2015, 08:54:08 AM »
Rolling back driver worked for me too. Have been fighting it a couple days and that instantly starting working.

Offline readman

« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2015, 01:27:24 PM »
Here is the response I got from Davis.  I'll let everyone know if it works.  Sounds like it will.

Offline readman

« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2015, 02:02:34 PM »
It took a couple of tries but now it does work.  Didn't need to un-install the program, just the driver.  First try it rolled back to a 2014 date driver and when reconnecting the station the 2015 driver reinstalled.  Tried again and the driver rolled back to a 2007 driver which works.

Offline Mtn_man

• Sunset Mountain Weather
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2015, 10:58:24 AM »
Just found this article

Best regards
Paul H

This program will allow you to take back some control of how Win10 does things.  http://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10.  Recommended on many of the forums where Win10 is being discussed.

Specifically you can disable automatic driver updates, which I have done due to a driver issue on my W10 machines. 

« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 11:01:46 AM by Mtn_man »

Offline Billbo

• Joelton
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2015, 06:25:35 PM »
I just got off the phone with Davis support. A few minutes after Davis stepped me through some checks, WU started receiving my data for the first time in days. All we did was...

1. Open and then close File/Weatherground settings.
2. Open and then close Setup/Communications Port
3. Open and then close File/Manager Modules

(oh, and I might have held my tongue a bit to the right and knocked on particle-board)

If it works for others, then enjoy the miracle.

April 10 update: Same problem, and this process does not solve it this time. Sorry.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 09:17:28 AM by Billbo »

Offline sensij

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2016, 04:08:41 PM »
I've run into some Windows 10 trouble with my USB data logger.  This thread has been helpful, as has the write-up posted recently at Prodata.

http://www.manula.com/manuals/pws/davis-kb/1/en/topic/windows-compatibility

Offline RayattheSea

« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2016, 03:33:31 AM »
Sorry Late reply but go into Windows 10 and run the  davis program in windows 8.1 or 7 it then works as there are no updates for windows 10.  If you cant find how to do it reply and I will send detailed instructions.

Raymond
Ray at the Sea

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
windows 10 usb port communication error
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2016, 09:41:11 PM »
I have had this issue with my Vantage Pro 2 console using Windows XP, 7, 8, 8.1 and now 10, when trying to communicate with Weatherlink. It is not the operating system, it is the dated Davis USB approach to connecting the console to the computer. This is a perfect example why Davis should create a tool (I call it a part of designing a Vantage Pro 3 which Davis has been resisting) to use Bluetooth or WiFi technology to connect the console to the computer where Weatherlink resides. Since Davis is reluctant to move out of the ice age, I have gotten around this issue by wrapping both ends of the USB cable tightly with tin foil, not using the AC power on the console--only using battery power, and these band aids have really helped--but not eliminated the problem. I even paid Davis to swap out my data logger, and my band aids were better than a new data logger. An updated USB cable also helped this issue.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 08:56:03 AM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline RayattheSea

« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2016, 04:07:33 AM »
I think that is a good idea, bluetooth works well, the fact that you have to use batteries when it could use Power shows there is a problem with USB.  I have had a good run, probably about to fail now as I am going to say this, in that I read somewhere about positioning the aerial. I have always had it up and someone suggested having it down,since then no dropouts, can't think why but perhaps someone else could try this.

Raymond
Ray at the Sea

Offline Billbo

• Joelton
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2016, 09:42:29 AM »
Wrestling with this problem again, I noticed a message on the BIOS screen: "USB Device Over Current Status Detected !!" It is never a good sign when BIOS uses an exclamation point, but two must signal real trouble. So I unplugged my data logger cord and rebooted. Same problem again! So this time I disconnected an external drive, reconnected the data logger, and rebooted. Now all is good. Except, of course, for that external drive.

Offline RayattheSea

« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2016, 11:36:15 AM »
Thanks for info, never seen BIOS mentioned.  I had another bad patch, changed the battery on the battery on the console, still an intermittent problem,  Turned the aerial in the Station facing downwards,all OK and having a good run at the moment. Hope you sort out your drive, test on another computer?
Bye

Raymond
Ray at the Sea

Offline Gulfstream

• Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2 on Weatherlink 6.0.3
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2016, 01:58:19 PM »
Ran into this problem firing up Weatherlink 6.0.3 for a new Vantage Pro 2 on a Windows 10 machine.  In Weatherlink, Set Up > Communications Port, the pre-selected option was Serial.  I changed this to USB since the connection from the console to the computer was of course a USB cable. But the software did not find the station.  The Owners Manual accompanying the Weatherlink software (mercifully Davis still provides hard copy manuals with their products) addresses this specific problem on p 23. It may not have done so in earlier versions of the software or earlier issues of the 6.0.3 software.  Anyway, in the manual current as of this writing, if you have the problem that Weatherlink can't find the Vantage Pro 2 station with the Communication Port in Weatherlink Set Up set to the USB option, Davis advises that you call them.  I first contacted a Davis product support location, apparently not in California, and they immediately referred me to actual Davis in California, currently 510-732-9229. Three mins on hold; pretty good.  There a tech meister named Bruce very ably led me flow-chart-like through a number of checks and tests on settings until, having reset the Communications Port in Weatherlink back to "Serial" and the default COM3 port in Weatherlink to COM8, we reset the default com port in Windows Device Manager > Ports (Com and LPT) > Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge (COM3) from (COM3) to (COM8).  This worked.  Don't know if your circumstances as of this writing would be the same so the indispensable thing is to call Davis.  They fixed me right up in about 8 minutes.

Offline RayattheSea

« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2016, 03:37:57 AM »
Thank you for the info, at the moment I am stable but this information I will follow if the problem reoccurs.  Thanks again.
Raymond
Ray at the Sea

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2016, 12:14:13 PM »
Thank you for the info, at the moment I am stable but this information I will follow if the problem reoccurs.  Thanks again.
Raymond

As I discussed elsewhere in a thread of this Forum, another Windows 10 issue with the Davis Weatherlink software--when uploading data to CWOP, my computer only uploads to a single CWOP server instead of rotating among the 6 servers that CWOP has. Not a big deal as long as that lone CWOP server is working, just another Windows 10 bug that needs to be fixed by Davis or Microsoft.
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline phqfh

• Paul's Weather Satellite and Waffle Page
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2016, 02:19:12 AM »
Just found this article

Best regards
Paul H

Having same issue after Win 10 decided to update with anniversary edition.
The Driver Roll back is greyed out again so I uninstalled the driver then disconnected USB Data logger, attempted to re-install weatherlink but it stuck at about 3/4 of install and stayed there for an hour or so I have no usbxpress driver for data logger at moment.
is a separate driver available that I can download and install from device manager?
Best regards
Paul

anything