Author Topic: Unable to update or read my Weather Warning txt file  (Read 1272 times)

Offline Abajian

• Woodchuck Central
Unable to update or read my Weather Warning txt file
« on: September 11, 2016, 04:12:05 PM »
I am unable to read my weather warning txt file. When I click on the warning button (which was red) Notepad opens up, but cannot find the 1.txt file(system path not found). Using windows explorer, I am able to locate and read the file (c:\program Files\vws\data\warning\1.txt). It does not contain the updated warning data, but instead says "No Warnings". I am using VWS 15 p03. I have spent all day searching Google and this forum without success. Any Suggestions?

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
Re: Unable to update or read my Weather Warning txt file
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 04:49:17 PM »
I'm running V15 P05.  I took a look at my Warnings setup.

In my VWS\data\warnings folder, I have a 1.txt file.  I currently have no warnings.  But the file isn't empty.

So that should be the folder you're looking for and double check.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline Abajian

• Woodchuck Central
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 07:33:18 PM »
I can find the folder and 1.txt file. It opens up if I use windows explorer. When I open Warnings in VWS, there is a button next to my city. When I click on it, it is supposed to open the 1.txtfile, but gives me an error instead. So I know the file is there. It is just that VWS can't open it, and I suspect, can't update it.

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 09:21:23 AM »
Sounds like something may have a lock on the file.  You may want to reboot for starters.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline Abajian

• Woodchuck Central
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 08:37:23 PM »
I agree. I think the file is locked as far as VWS is concerned. Windows 8 & 10 are constantly preventing me and various applications from accessing various files and folders. I have fiddled with security settings under folder and file properties without success. I have rebooted numerous times. As luck would have it, the computer just died. So I went to the basement and pulled out an old Windows XP. I loaded in VWS, configured all my settings, and I am back up and running (www.woodchuckcentral.com). I installed VWS into the default c:\VWS folder. The previous computer was using c:\Program Files\VWS, which might have been part of the problem. This old XP computer is only going to be used for my weather station, so I think will stick with XP for now. Now I just have to wait for some severe weather to see if it warning updates the 1.txt.