Author Topic: Vantage Pro 2 console is going whacky  (Read 386 times)

Offline piconut

• Juggler Extraordinaire
  • Forecaster
    • South Austin Weather
Vantage Pro 2 console is going whacky
« on: June 02, 2019, 05:10:49 PM »
I have 3 Davis Vantage Pro 2 consoles that I have been using for years with no problems.  One of them, we'll call it the main console, I use to pull data from and feed it to a laptop with Virtual VP (and Cumulus, VWS, etc).  The other two just act as stand alone displays in other parts of the house.  All of them have batteries that are good and all of them also have AC power connected 24x7. 

Today, we had a minor power outage which was out long enough to kill the laptop connected to the main console.  When power came back on and I got everything back up and running, I noticed that the main console had lost connection with the anemometer which has its own wireless transmitter (separate from the ISS).  The other two consoles showed that everything was fine.  I don't know if it helps to know that I have all 8 channels of my consoles in use with various sensors, mostly temp/humidity sensors.  They were all still reporting fine (ie. normal variations in temperature and humidity for what they were measuring) on all the consoles.  I put the main console into the setup mode to watch for all 8 channels to check in, over about 10 minutes, they all checked in but the anemometer took the longest.  Then I put the main console back into normal operation mode and waited about an hour.  Still no wind direction or wind speed.  On the other satellite consoles all the data is flowing to them without any issues. Finally I put the main console back into setup mode, pulled the power from it (removed both AC and batteries) and then replaced everything and turned it back on.  Everything comes back except for the anemometer!  So I can't figure out why the main console, which is closest to both the wireless ISS and the wireless anemometer, still doesn't see the anemometer correctly.  It is as if some data got corrupted in the console and now it isn't picking up the sensor.

Any of you fellow weather enthusiasts have any idea of what I can do to figure this out?  I'm stumped.
  • Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus
  • Virtual VP
  • Virtual Weather Station V15.00
  • Cumulus
  • Cumulus MX
  • Image Salsa
  • IP TimeLapse

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
Re: Vantage Pro 2 console is going whacky
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2019, 05:57:52 PM »
I assume that the other two consoles can see the anemometer transmitter OK, and it is just the "main" one that cannot.

It might be worthwhile checking the channel assignments in this Main console that the "WIND" is still assigned to the station number that the anemometer transmitter is using.

Maybe the console has lost the WIND assignment as a result of the power glitch, and is looking for speed on the ISS.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Online CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2019, 06:05:06 PM »
It might be worthwhile checking the channel assignments in this Main console that the "WIND" is still assigned to the station number that the anemometer transmitter is using.
Maybe the console has lost the WIND assignment as a result of the power glitch, and is looking for speed on the ISS.
Yep, that's my guess too.

Offline piconut

• Juggler Extraordinaire
  • Forecaster
    • South Austin Weather
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2019, 01:25:45 AM »
It must have been gremlins.  About 90 minutes after I posted the issue, the wind data started showing up on the main console.  The only odd thing is that the wind direction hasn't changed in the last few hours but I suppose that the winds could be fairly steady from the gulf coast for most of the evening.  I guess I'll see when I get up tomorrow if the direction seems to be working as well. 

Thanks for your help!
  • Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus
  • Virtual VP
  • Virtual Weather Station V15.00
  • Cumulus
  • Cumulus MX
  • Image Salsa
  • IP TimeLapse