Author Topic: IP Logger Troubles...  (Read 2281 times)

Offline alexstaar

• Senior Contributor
IP Logger Troubles...
« on: February 07, 2015, 09:23:14 PM »
I'm having some trouble keeping my Davis WL IP logger connected to Cumulus. The reason being that the IP address keeps changing every day or day and a half. I can easily find the new IP address with the WeatherLink software, but it is quite annoying and unreliable. I have it connected through a WiFi bridge that is programmable to set the LAN port to Static IP (which it is currently set on), but the port keeps changing and I'm not sure what to do ](*,). The bridge is connected to my router which the computer running Cumulus is also connected to. Is the WiFi bridge assigning the IP address or is the logger itself changing the address every so often? Would the best solution be to just plug the IP logger directly into the router? Is there an option in Cumulus to automatically search for the logger? Thanks in advance!
-Alex

Davis 6153 VP2 with 24-hour FARS/
Davis 6250 Vantage Vue
WU: KNJMOUNT68/KSCGREER81
CWOP: FW5135/EW6390
www.uah-mcthornmoracres-weather.com

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
Re: IP Logger Troubles...
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 09:51:33 PM »
Not that familiar with ip logger but if you can see the connection in the router go into advanced settings and assign a static IP in the router itself and see if that takes care of it. You may need to read up on the particular router how to do it. Netgear router is advanced settings and static routes.
Randy

Offline alexstaar

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 12:04:51 AM »
Thanks for the tips. I do have an old Netgear router that I could try to rig up to the logger. However, it often locks up and freezes so I'd rather have a more reliable set up. Anyone else had experience with the IP logger?
-Alex

Davis 6250 Vantage Vue

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 04:35:38 AM »
My tip wasn't change routers just go into yours and make sure you have the Davis station on IP logger setup with a static IP. Every router you can do this with, but they all have there own instructions on how its done. If set up properly its not going to change IP address and the port won't keep getting assigned differently.
Randy

Offline alexstaar

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 01:38:16 AM »
The logger is connected to the WiFi Bridge/Router through its only LAN port through an ethernet cable. It is set under "IP Address Reservations" under the "Network" section to have the MAC address (also the DID listed on the logger) to a certain IP address. I have also tried setting the LAN port to a static IP, but all that did was make the IP address of the bridge itself static, and not the actual LAN port. I had it set this way for a couple days and sure enough, it changed the IP address of the logger again. That doesn't make sense to me... The only other thing I can think of to do is unplug and take the batteries out of the console to remove power to the logger and reconnect it under the static/reserved settings. Perhaps this could "reset" the network settings of the logger? I'm totally stumped...  ](*,)
-Alex

Davis 6250 Vantage Vue

Offline ericfynne

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 02:54:48 AM »
Have you configured the IP logger itself to use a static IP address?

Eric

Offline alexstaar

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 03:02:12 AM »
Is there a way to do that? If so, how?
-Alex

Davis 6250 Vantage Vue

Offline alexstaar

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2015, 03:10:52 AM »
I've tried configuring the bridge/repeater/router I have it connected to in all ways possible and it still will not use the IP address that I assign to it.
-Alex

Davis 6250 Vantage Vue

Offline alexstaar

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2015, 03:35:17 AM »
I believe I have figured it out!! I typed the current IP address into a web browser and it gave me the option to set a permanent IP address! If only I would have thought of that sooner....  ](*,)
-Alex

Davis 6250 Vantage Vue

Offline ericfynne

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2015, 05:58:49 AM »
I don't have an IP logger, but my reading of the forums suggests that very few owners know that the IP logger has a browser interface for configuration settings. Do the supplied instructions not mention it?

Eric

Offline alexstaar

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2015, 03:05:22 PM »
I just skimmed through the instruction manual and I didn't see anything in it about a browser interface or setting the logger to have a static IP address. I would imagine that all the IP loggers should have this feature, but I'm not certain of course... I used Internet Explorer and entered my loggers current IP address as show from the WeatherLink software just like this "10.0.1.11" without quotation marks and pressed enter. The page took a few seconds to load and loaded like it was a dial up connection; it loaded slowly only a few boxes at a time. One thing to keep in mind is that you need to close or suspend communications with any and all programs that the logger is talking to. If not, the browser won't be able to find the logger since it is busy and can only do communicate with one entity at a time.
-Alex

Davis 6250 Vantage Vue