Author Topic: OS WMR100 issues  (Read 6319 times)

Offline keephill

OS WMR100 issues
« on: September 21, 2009, 06:15:08 AM »
Hi There,
Just joined this forum. I've just purchased the WMR100 after viewing Channel 5's Gadget programme--wish I'd read this forum first!! Compared to others I'm favouring quite well so far. I have two issues. The first is everything functions as it should apart from the 'Wind Chill' reading--it just says NA. I understand it is an internal calculation of the outside temp plus the wind force. As both these are functioning ok, I'm at a loss of what the issue may be. May be it only works when you get strong winds and above, or certain times of the year,or when the outside temp drops below a certain level. There is no reference to any of these in the manual. The second issue is the PC connection at first was a bit hit & miss and now does not work at all. After loading the mini disk supplied it told me that there was a newer version, which I then downloaded. The outside temp and wind direction worked for a while, and now does not. When I go to the senors page no sensor is activated. Also when connected to the PC the main console ceases to work, fixed on previous readings and then eventually goes to hyphons. When USB disconnected, although it takes a while, the console begins to function again--is this correct? I have contacted OS Tech Support last Wednesday with no reply so far. Can anyone help?

Regards

Steve

Offline killwilly

• Forecaster
Re: OS WMR100 issues
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 07:49:48 AM »
Hello Steve and welcome to the forum. The answer to your first issue is simple, the WMR-100 will only calculate a wind chill at temperatures below 10c. Your other problem regarding connection between your computer and base station via USB has always been hit and miss.

I started with a 100 and became so frustrated and angry, I almost gave up. You don't say where you live, but here in the UK I have never had any luck with OS Tech Support. My advise would be to contact OS "Sales" and have a moan at them, in fact my constant complaints to the sales team in the UK regarding the problem connecting computer and base station resulted in me getting a WMR-200 free upgrade, which is a superb station and has been no problem at all. The 100 and 200 use the same sensors, so if you were lucky enough to get the upgrade you could still use the sensors you already have.

Hope this helps.

Alan.
Alan

Offline keephill

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 12:12:21 PM »
Hi Alan,
Thanks for the reply, very useful info. Why don't they say in the manual about the operating temp for wind chill?--beats me! I will try sales about the PC connection issue. For your info I live in Worcestershire UK. Thanks again.

Steve

Offline ale22

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 12:36:58 PM »
I have a WMR100N and for me it works ok.
I had some problem at the beginning, but after changing to lithium batteries in all the sensors everything works just fine. I think that the software that come with the console is a joke, try to get a copy of VWS or WD.
You can try the excellent freeware WSDL at http://wmrx00.sourceforge.net/, there is a new version out today.
As you can see in my signature I have 4 extra sensors, a pool sensor and a UV sensor, and it works perfect !

Good luck, Andy
WMR100N + 4 Extra sensors + 1 Uv-sensor
WD 10.370 Build 03
WX Data Logger

Karlskrona, Sweden

http://hem.passagen.se/ale22

Offline keephill

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 02:02:57 PM »
Hi Andy,

Thanks for your response. I'll download that software you've provided a link for. I take it my WMR100 will be compatible with it?

Regards

Steve

Offline ale22

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 02:48:30 PM »
Hi Andy,

Thanks for your response. I'll download that software you've provided a link for. I take it my WMR100 will be compatible with it?

Regards

Steve

Yes, this software is for the WMR100. Make sure that your WMR100 is the new model, take a look at the backside on your consol, it should say WMR100N(Europe) or WMR100A(US model).
If you got a WMR100, you got the old model and those consols and sensors was ....not good.
The "new" WMR100N looks like this:http://www.safecast.se/sv/artiklar/produkter/vaderstationer/prisklass-1501-3000/wmr100n-fran-oregon-efterfoljaren-till-wmr100-.html

Andy
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 11:43:05 PM by ale22 »
WMR100N + 4 Extra sensors + 1 Uv-sensor
WD 10.370 Build 03
WX Data Logger

Karlskrona, Sweden

http://hem.passagen.se/ale22

Offline vinmor

• Burncoat Area Worcester MA
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 06:44:49 PM »
I've had my WMR100 since February and I had a lot of the same issues at first with the console losing contact a lot with sensors as you describe. Thinking about it for a bit I realized that the WMR100 is a pretty low cost weather station so the manufacturer must have cut some corners. Like maybe radiation shielding? I moved my console as far from my PC, Wireless network and monitor as I could and I immediately noticed an improvement. Not perfect, but better,. So I went out and bought a USB extention cable and moved the console about 18 ft away from my electronics. Since then I haven't had a single problem. Well one problem, But that was my granddaughter pushing buttons on the console and setting the gust alarm by accident. Ever try to figure out how to turn that off in the middle of the night? It's not fun. Hopefully this will help. And to add my voice to some of the other replies, VWS or weather display or something other than the software that OS provides, I still can't get that to work right.( Of course I no longer try either)

Offline keephill

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2009, 05:28:10 AM »
Hi Vinmoor,

Sorry about the delayed reply. Again useful info, I'll try a USB extension. All works ok (even wind chill), but intermittently I have to reset the main console in order for the data to be displayed on my laptop, maybe distancing the console from my laptop will help.

Regards

Steve

Offline weatherman172

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2015, 09:42:39 PM »
Group,
I have an Oregon Scientific WMR100NA that reports to Weather Underground under call sign KAZTEMPE47.  I have it plugged into MeteoHub running on a SheevaPlug so I don't have to leave the PC on all the time.  But lately, this thing is driving me nuts.  Every few weeks this stupid thing stops reporting data and WU sends me an email saying my weather station hasn't reported in 2 hours or more.  I have to do a reset of the console by completely killing the power.  The only thing Meteohub will tell me in the error log file is it's not receiving data from the outdoor temperature sensor.    But yet, the correct temperature appears on the display so I'm confused.  Has anyone found a cure for the constant resetting?
Chris