Author Topic: Interesting article about TV weather hype from our local newspaper  (Read 5444 times)

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130110/NEWS/301100326

I don't want to run afoul of the copyright lawyers by posting the whole article, but here's an excerpt:

So how come everybody panicked? Blame it on the Weather Channel and its local TV clones.

Northeast Braces for Storm! Orange County Buried Under 5 Inches!

Five inches? Not that long ago, nobody would have noticed. Now, that's enough for Channel 2 (New York City CBS affiliate) to send the mobile van up to Central Valley for a live report from the scene of the disaster.

I understand why they do this. Nobody wants a headline saying "Storm is no big deal." Instead, those weather people build up our expectations and then if we happen to wake up to a dusting instead of an avalanche, they say we dodged a bullet but then warn that we might not be so lucky the next time.
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
Re: Interesting article about TV weather hype from our local newspaper
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 10:51:18 AM »
Selling an impending apocalypse in whatever guise gets attention..it least it does until people realize 'Chicken Little' is back in town.  Then the purveyors of panic become just more noise to be filtered out.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 11:33:38 AM »
On my blog and on weather forums (that discuss weather) I give the facts, and what other mets are saying. I'll add my thoughts and speculations to though. It may or may not sound like hype depending on who you are and how much you understand the weather.

A great example is the pattern change that's about to take place. I have a blog post on that right now and you might think there's hype in there, but I don't think so. Lot's of facts and other confirmations give it credence.

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 03:46:51 PM »
Very nice article Steve, I enjoyed reading it, and I don't call that hype at all. I think hype is more being statements bringing excitement without thorough proof. I really don't like the media. I barely even watch the news much less TWC anymore, I stick to the paper.
Joe Fitzwater
Chief Meteorologist for WVNS-TV 59 in Beckley, WV

Work Page on Facebook -> www.facebook.com/meteojoe
Work Page on Twitter -> https://twitter.com/meteojoe
Waterfalls -> www.wvfalls.com

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 05:38:59 PM »
 From sitting far away from the weather stories coming from Outside (lower 48) it is reallt an joke. They tend to make an big deal out of everything. That is why your weather sites do so well down there and are really an flop here in Alaska.Has to do all with the media. People up here goes with the weather more to speak of. No one panics toget supplies and last roll of TP when  weather rolls in mainly cause they are use to the enviroment. You can tell who is new in town just by watching them in the store. One thing different is here weather come in an marine forecast. If youreally want the true picture you pull up the aviation forecast which is updated every hour not 4 hours like the general broadcast.I don't care what you watch on TV it is all the same hype the Sky is falling and like an bunch of sheep every one there goes into the panic mode.

John

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 07:00:07 PM »
John, part of it has to do with population density. And yes, that is your environment and that is a normal way of life. Not so down here, people here aren't prepared for things like that.

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 07:11:28 PM »
John, part of it has to do with population density. And yes, that is your environment and that is a normal way of life. Not so down here, people here aren't prepared for things like that.

Yeah I agree with Steve. Most people aren't prepared for weather events around the 48s, and I figure it's like that just about everywhere. Some people don't pay attention enough to be ready for things like that, nor do they take precautions in case something were to occur. I don't deny that the media has something to do with it. I remember when I was in middle school, we were let out of school because of a snow storm and never got the first flake! But as long as there are people forecasting, there will be errors, and that's the beauty of it. In reality, it's all about being prepared for weather events.
Joe Fitzwater
Chief Meteorologist for WVNS-TV 59 in Beckley, WV

Work Page on Facebook -> www.facebook.com/meteojoe
Work Page on Twitter -> https://twitter.com/meteojoe
Waterfalls -> www.wvfalls.com

Offline K3JAE

• Contributor
  • Davis VP2 Wireless
    • K3JAE's Weather Station
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 05:07:19 AM »
I'm not so sure I agree with people are not prepared in the lower 48.

I was born and raised in Pennsylvania. It never surprised me that we would get heavy snowfall (meaning well over a foot or more in 24 hours), ice storms etc. It is normal weather and should be expected.

People in the upper midwest states (WI, ND, SD, MI, WY) etc. know it gets down right cold, windy and it snows heavily in winter. To say they do not expect that is foolish unless they just moved there from Florida. Now if you tell me a hurricane will hit Pennsylvania via New Jersey or Delaware, or the remnants of one, I may be a bit taken off course as that is not a normal occurrence but it is not unheard of.

I live in West Tennessee now so I expect strong thunderstorms, tornadoes, ice storms etc. It is the normal climate. To expect a snowfall of 6" or more is rare but not out of the realm of possibility. Eastern TN, it is not an unusual occurrence.  It happens so infrequently here that when it does it comes as a shock to the local natives. It is the feeling of apathy... "Aw, it hasn't snowed 6" here for over 10 years..." so when it does... surprise!

73's de K3JAE

John
K3JAE Weather Station

Offline ClaireAnderson

• Best free weather app for iPhone & iPad
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2015, 04:41:29 AM »
I understand that sensationalizing any news story or report be it regarding weather, politics, security etc. etc. is what the modern day electronic media resort to. Selling the story is all that it is important and the authenticity of the news doesn't matter to them.
Claire Anderson
http://www.weathermate.net
San Francisco, CA, USA