Author Topic: SHT15 Breakout  (Read 3667 times)

Offline AWL

• Forecaster
    • Ardmore Weather Live
SHT15 Breakout
« on: January 26, 2013, 03:50:31 PM »
I replaced my VP2 temp/hum sensor with a SHT15 Breakout. Haven't had any problems the last couple months and its work great till....the last 3 nights. We have had some real thick fog and the circuit board has got wet. Any suggestion on something I can spray on the board to weatherproof it without screwing up the SHT15?  Maybe something like spray lacquer???

Thanks, Doug

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: SHT15 Breakout
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 04:06:20 PM »
ANy nonconformal coating will work.  I use Corrosion-X.  Crazy good stuff.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline AWL

• Forecaster
    • Ardmore Weather Live
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 04:16:57 PM »
ANy nonconformal coating will work.  I use Corrosion-X.  Crazy good stuff.

Thanks
I am not familiar with Corrosion-X. Googled it. Looks like spray coating...clear? Where can I find it??? Auto parts place... Walmart?

Doug

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 06:47:08 PM »
I was thinking that anything you use might be better brushed on vs. sprayed on. If any of the spray particles enter the SHT15's sensor opening that could ruin it. Maybe if you have a Radio Shack or that type of electronics store around they could help provide you with something.

after thought: You may want to try whatever you use on a test piece of material, let it dry thoroughly, and check it for any continuity with an ohm meter set high.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 07:20:44 PM by DanS »

Offline SomeCallMeTim

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 09:01:01 PM »
I agree the brush-on type is probably safer as you’d have to very carefully tape up the openings on the SHT15 if using a spray.

Seems like we always used Dow products at work, but this 2oz bottle of MG Chemicals Silicone Conformal Coating is cheap, conveniently available from Amazon, and should work fine.
If you don’t care about being able to remove it I’ve even used 2-part epoxy on small analog sections of boards.

One thing I do remember is it’s essential to thoroughly clean and dry the PCB before coating, especially of any flux residue. I’d think 90% isopropyl alcohol is probably good enough for this, though.

http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/protective-coatings/conformal/silicone-conformal-coating-422b/

http://www.amazon.com/MG-Chemicals-Silicone-Conformal-Coating/dp/B008O9YIV6

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 11:50:27 PM »
I use brush-on Plasti-dip, available at most hardware stores and home centers. The spray version would work if you put a spot of masking tape over the SHT15 sensor hole first, and removed it later.

Offline skinnysqueaky

• Old River Rat
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 05:08:15 PM »
    I use clear nail polish to protect connections and circuit boards.  My humidly sensor went west, upon inspection I found corrosion on some circuit traces along the bottom edge of the vertical mounted circuit board. I cleaned the corrosion off with a small wire brush and sealed the board with clear nail polish after I wrapped the humidly sensor with tape to block the fumes, let it dry and the unit came back on line OK.
On the Niagara River

Davis Weather Monitor II plus all the goodies.

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 01:11:54 PM »
I just completed replacing a bad SHt11 with a surplus SHT15. I used Plasti-Dip applied with a sandwich pick to coat the chip connections.

anything