Author Topic: A new experience for me  (Read 2381 times)

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
A new experience for me
« on: April 11, 2014, 03:28:30 PM »
I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing.

I just got through talking to a man that had seen my station on weatherunderground.  He said he was interested in buying a station and could I talk to him about stations.  He said he used the map on the WU page and since I lived kind of close (about 10 miles as the crow flies) and it was a good day to ride his motorcycle, he'd come by.

I told him about the different brands and what I thought of them.  I showed him the ISS and took the rain bucket off and showed him how a tipping bucket worked.  I explained how the wireless signal went to the console.  I took him out to the anemometer and showed him the transmitter and explained how a VP2 can have added sensors and how they have transmitters and repeaters and stuff.

I told him about the Vue as another option.  I told him he had to get a datalogger.

He seemed appreciative and said he had been interested in weather for a long time.  If he had had something to write on, I would have given him the link for this forum.  I did say that I have a "contact me" link on my website if he has any questions.  (I guess I need that in the next few minutes!   :oops:  ).

Has anyone else had people drop by and ask about weather stations?  I don't think he has ill intentions, but the more I think about it, the more I can see where that might be possible.  I was just wondering.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
Re: A new experience for me
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 04:15:45 PM »
Greg, I share your concerns.  I've thought about the "security" of my station many times.  It's not like we're putting up some pink flamingos out there...quiet a bit larger investment.  My ISS is out in a hayfield beside the house and in view of the house...but of course we're not always there (though the dogs are).   If the guy went to all the trouble of coming to your place and spending the time talking to you and he knows you got a good eyeball on him I doubt he means any harm.  I guess our worries about things like this are signs of the time that we're living in.  :-|

Ed

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline CamarilloWX

• CamarilloWX
  • Senior Contributor
    • Camarillo Weather
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 05:08:18 PM »
I recently put a station back online after several years of being offline.  I installed my previous station in the winter and I started uploading to CWOP and Weather Undergound.  Everything worked great until summer started approaching and I began having issues with my temperature reading high.  It was a cabled station so re-siting things was not a minor undertaking but I did it anyway.  I tried several locations and screening techniques in order to try and reduce the effect of solar radiation.  I also used other instruments to measure the temperature locally and collected a lot of data from my station as well as CWOP comparison stations.  I used that data to attempt to find a happy medium to correct the error.  I think I even posted a status message on Weather Underground stating I was working on it along with any moves I had made. After a lot of effort I had gotten the error to within plus or minus 1.5 degrees on average and i was still actively working to reduce that.  About this time some guy knocked on my door when I wasn't home.   My 17 yr old daughter answered and this guy started ranting to her how she needed to take her weather station offline because it was wrong, I guess he didn't know how to look at a different station.  My daughter was understandably shaken by the experience and I had no idea who the guy was which was probably a good thing; I took the station offline that day.  My purpose for sharing this story is not to make people apprehensive about sharing weather data online.  I have also had a lot of positive interactions with people regarding my weather station, that's why I finally put one back online.  But like SloModem has pointed out, we are very easy to find and need to consider that.
Eric

Offline wxtech

• Weather Equipment Technician
  • Forecaster
  • USAF Weather Equipment Maintenance Tech (retired)
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 05:25:08 PM »
I have a backyard full of high tech equipment.  People ask what it is or some already know that this is the county weather station.  http://www.lexingtonwx.com/
I've never had anything missing.  I've given tours and explained how it works.  I have cameras pointed toward the equipment and cameras on the equipment.  I have explained that this equipment is owned by the Federal Government and the National Weather Service; (I am a Co-Op station).  The NWS equipment has gov't property labels.   Most of the equipment is my personal property.  I point to the cameras and tell them that forecasters in Atlanta look at the clouds overhead and view our weather using my Internet connection.  I tell them to smile and wave at friends on WxForum who are watching people in my backyard.
People have tracked me down using CoCoRaHS coordinates.  I explained that function and they became rain observers.
I calibrate my equipment to the NWS sensors.  When someone asks what is the temperature, I say "The National Weather Service temperature in Lexington is ----". 
Al
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 05:29:52 PM by wxtech »
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 06:29:02 PM »
I guess our worries about things like this are signs of the time that we're living in.  :-|
Ed

Ed, I guess weather station guys are like beekeepers, we like to talk about our stuff and show it off.  :D
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 07:08:01 PM »
I've thought about security also, having my address plastered all over. For peace of mind they do have fairly cheap security systems that get good reviews like Simplisafe DYI systems. Optional 14.99 month monitoring not needed for audible alarms only. This is all cellular system no hardline is needed or used. Default is T-mobile, but upon request you can get a Verizon card if you don't have T-mobile coverage. 
Randy

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 07:43:27 PM »
I've thought about security also, having my address plastered all over. For peace of mind they do have fairly cheap security systems that get good reviews like Simplisafe DYI systems. Optional 14.99 month monitoring not needed for audible alarms only. This is all cellular system no hardline is needed or used. Default is T-mobile, but upon request you can get a Verizon card if you don't have T-mobile coverage.

I'm not so worried about someone coming to get my station.  I told this guy today that I have web cams pointed out in the yard.   8-)  I'm just not used to having strangers come to the house.

But it's something to think about, having your position so widely available.  Just some food for thought.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 08:21:53 PM by SlowModem »
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 08:17:21 PM »
Agree, weather station theft is probably not high on the criminals list. Greg you mentioned in one of your post you worked in the power industry, FYI I've also been employed for 3 decades at a coal fired, I'm involved in plant operations. 
Randy

Offline GregJ

• Forecaster
    • http://www.SkunkBayWeather.com
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014, 09:39:41 PM »
I have had several requests to "get together" with folks I don't know.... to see my system.  I have even had an organization ask if they could raffle a tour of Skunk Bay Weather as a fund raiser for their organization.....  (Talk about an underwhelming tour....  #-o  .... The computers that run my webcams are in my bedroom closet....)

I have always been committed to sharing and supporting the weather community.  I will gladly talk, email and meet off-site with folks interested in what goes on behind the scenes of my site.  I draw the line at inviting anyone to my home.  Just because I am providing a community service does not obligate me to open my doors to anyone.  I have made friends with a few folks that have expressed interest in what I am doing, but it all starts with a cup of coffee...(or a beer if they're buyin'... ;)) off site

Maybe I am very sensitive about this.  In 1989 we had a huge storm and our power had been out for 5 days.  My son's 5th birthday was during this time.  When the power crew finally got to us, I brought out a thermos of hot coffee and birthday cake on "Ghost Buster" paper plates.  They really appreciated it.  However, there was one member of the crew that appreciated it more than was appropriate.  He showed up at our house about 15 years later to thank us for our kindness.  Our initial reaction was how thoughtful he was.  As we continued to talk, he confided with us that he was good friends with Jackie Onasis (she had already passed away) and that President Kennedy was still alive on an island in the Mediterranean.  He was the covert "World Leader"......  Needless to say, we were VERY anxious to thank him for his gratitude and send him on his way.  Quite honesty, it got a little scary. 

We are in a remote area down a secluded driveway and I do not want strangers coming to my door.  When we do have somebody come down our road that we don't know.... (including Jehovas Witnesses..) they receive a very cold welcome from us.... Uhmmm.... My wife actually turned a garden hose on some Jehova's Witnesses one time just to get the point across  :oops:.  Actually, I don't blame her.  When she is alone and has strange men coming on to our property, I encourage her to send them home.  We don't have guns, but we do have water hoses....  :-)  So, we do not welcome strangers to our home and are very selective about who we open our home up to.

Just thought I'd share my story,
Greg

Davis VP2 with VWS

"Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it." -- Mark Twain

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2014, 09:54:18 PM »
And now you know why I NEVER post personal information anywhere on the web.

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2014, 10:09:00 PM »
My wife and I are both Army veterans, and believe me, you DON'T want to tangle with my wife when she's armed and mad.   :shock:
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 11:03:09 PM by SlowModem »
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline GregJ

• Forecaster
    • http://www.SkunkBayWeather.com
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2014, 10:31:05 PM »
Weatherhost.... I agree... I have done my best to leave my name and location out of everything.  Weather Underground kinda blows a hole in that with Lat and Long and Google Map.....(Which I find to be a huge invasion of my privacy...)  One of the local affiliates (NBC - KING) has a company policy about sharing any information about a website that has information from it's competitors.  My site has all of the local affiliates forecasts.  So.... the meteorologist (Jeff Renner... who is a great guy) has to use just my name and cannot refer to my website.  So far, this has not been a problem.  But... anytime I get asked, I ask to credit Skunk Bay Weather..... I really like to leave my name out of it.  I am not in this for personal recognition.  I am only doing this as a service to the community.

SlowModem..... You DO NOT want to mess with my wife..... Trust me.... I know.....  ](*,)

Greg
Davis VP2 with VWS

"Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it." -- Mark Twain

Offline dj1111s

• Weather obsessed
  • Forecaster
  • The "d" cloud.
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2014, 11:22:13 PM »
Similar concerns here.  I don't give away my life on Twitter or Facebook or anything else but I do post wx data to the popular websites.  One thing I noticed when first connecting with WU was my coordinates were off slightly.  It placed my station about a 1/4 mile away in the middle of a highway.  Still close enough for anyone wanting the data but it bugged me.  I did dial it in but sometimes I've thought about setting it back to that original location.
Vantage Pro2 Plus W/FARS, wireless anemometer, bucket heater with temperature sensor. Envoy, VP2 and Vue consoles. Meteobridge. Weatherlink Live. AirLink. Soil and leaf station. Attic temp and humidity.
Trained Storm Spotter
Member CoCoRaHS
You will never find me on Facebook or Twitter or any other social media!!!

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2014, 10:52:41 AM »
I had a similar thing happen. On Wunderground somebody sent me an email asking how to set up a weather station. The email began with compliments saying how big and nice my station was then went into details about how to setup his station. My view is I don't want to be a snob and not reply. I'm happy to help anyone who needs it. I remember what it was like when I first got into weather stations. It can be a big scary world for newbies. And some may not know to find WXforum to get the help they need. So of somebody emails or sends me a message me a message asking for help I'll help them.

Really I'm not worried about anything happening to my station for a few reasons. One is I have a camera pointed at the weather station, and two my station is nearly impossible to access without special tools some of which are homemade and not sold in stores. And I have a security light at the base of the station. I don't worry to much about my station.
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

anything