Author Topic: A newbie asking for your advice ...  (Read 8821 times)

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: A newbie asking for your advice ...
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2014, 01:44:47 PM »
When you buy Meteobridge, it runs on YOUR personal network, but it does attach to a server that Meteobridge (Smartbedded Inc - or whatver the German is for that type of company).  So your templates are served from Smartbedded's servers.  However, as mentioned you can PUSH  weather to all sorts of places automagically.  Like SQL databases - I use a free one in the cloud but you could easily  have it push to your PC at home running SQL.

As for the timing comment, either you run your PC 24/7 (x$/day) or you periodically turn on the PC to DL the data and then upload.  Of course that won't work for Wunderground.  But it reduces your costs.  IIRC, MB uses less than a watt (maybe 2?)

All of this can be found on the Smartbedded/Meteobridge FAQ
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Ronny St.

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2014, 03:28:20 PM »
Thanks for clarifying, Bushman !

As I understood, once you use Meteobridge, you cannot use e.g. Cumulus anymore. I think it is easier for a newbie like me to have the choice between several software packages instead of being forced to use one particular. And I have more than enough webspace available, so that is not a problem, either.

Meteobridge has indeed the advantage of being very low-cost on energy (about 2 Watts as you mentionned), but I think using a weather PC gives more flexibility for the user. After all, the mini PC I found is sold for 40 euro (about 54 US $), and a power consumption of 30 Watts means about 0.20 US $ per day, so that will not make a big difference on the electricity bill here.

I will give it a try and see what it means in reality :)

Thanks for your replies !

Ronny

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2014, 03:53:25 PM »
Just so you are aware, you could write the Cumulus file from Meteobridge and then read it with Cumulus on the PC.  :)  Just sayin'  ...
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Ronny St.

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2014, 04:06:14 PM »
Just so you are aware, you could write the Cumulus file from Meteobridge and then read it with Cumulus on the PC.  :)  Just sayin'  ...

Is it ? But aren't you restricted by using a Meteobridge ? I contacted MB and got the following answer : You cant upload to your webspace – weather networks only http://www.meteobridge.com/wiki/index.php/Weather_Networks/en and Yes export is possible for hourly average values for a excel sheet
I am afraid I still did not find out how it all works...

My goal is, as described above, to be able to transmit the data wireless from the console to wireless router 24/7 and be able to save the data on my desktop computer/laptop (that are not on a 24/7 schedule) with as much possibilities and flexibility as possible. And if the size of the hardware needed is small, then this is an extra advantage since I will put my console (and the interface) in my living room and I do not like to put lots and lots of electronic stuff there on the cupboard ...

There are so many options and  combinations that I lost the overall view on it   #-o
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 04:09:27 PM by Ronny St. »

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2014, 04:40:30 PM »
Thanks for giving me more advice !

We love to spend other people's money!   :roll:
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2014, 06:41:22 PM »
Just so you are aware, you could write the Cumulus file from Meteobridge and then read it with Cumulus on the PC.  :)  Just sayin'  ...

Is it ? But aren't you restricted by using a Meteobridge ? I contacted MB and got the following answer : You cant upload to your webspace – weather networks only http://www.meteobridge.com/wiki/index.php/Weather_Networks/en and Yes export is possible for hourly average values for a excel sheet
I am afraid I still did not find out how it all works...

My goal is, as described above, to be able to transmit the data wireless from the console to wireless router 24/7 and be able to save the data on my desktop computer/laptop (that are not on a 24/7 schedule) with as much possibilities and flexibility as possible. And if the size of the hardware needed is small, then this is an extra advantage since I will put my console (and the interface) in my living room and I do not like to put lots and lots of electronic stuff there on the cupboard ...

There are so many options and  combinations that I lost the overall view on it   #-o

Perhaps your question was lost in translation (although Docbee's English is far better than my German!! :)  ) so I refer you to:  http://www.meteobridge.com/wiki/index.php/Push_Services#Individual_HTTP_Upload  I can assure you - you CAN publish to all sorts of servers and databases etc.  I've done it.  And if I was a cumulus user it would be simple to create the monthly file (which AFAIK Cumulus updates every ten minutes by default) on a schedule of your liking.  Which Cumulus could then read of course.

I would encourage you to read the entire PUSH section for more details to see if one of the many options will work for you.  But of course, just dumping your data to a locally attached miniPC is fine, too.  I am currently using a Netbook on my Davis station (MB on a FineOffset) and will switch over to MB when I get a chance.  Oh, and to complicate things, a UK poster here (Bellfryboy) is making wireless dataloggers so you could also go that route where the Console and logger are in the room of choice transmitting to your miniPC wherever.  Just to complicate things a bit more.  LOL

Offline Ronny St.

« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2014, 05:28:48 AM »
I will read your link very attentive, Bushman. Seems I did get some things completely wrong ;)

And I read about the Bellfryboy datalogger a lot, even before joining this forum, because it seemed a perfect solution for me. But he did not respond to my previous entries (there seemed to be a problem using them with the new VP2 stations). I will send him a new message right away.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 09:14:23 AM by Ronny St. »

anything