Author Topic: Vantage Pro2 wireless vs OS WMR200  (Read 6172 times)

Offline svjakobs

Vantage Pro2 wireless vs OS WMR200
« on: April 27, 2008, 05:35:59 PM »
Hello,

The rain sensor on my WS 3600 died after about 1 years use, so insted of getting a replacment rain sensor, I thinking about getting a new system. So far I have narrowed in down to the two station in the header, or maybe even a Honeywell TN924W.

The station will be placed in my cabin in Norway, more or less on the the sea. One of the reasons why I'm considering the OS is because the previos modell also had a floating temprature sensor for the water, and I'm hoping that might come later for the WMR200 as well. It never goes below -10C, and not more than +40. One of the main uses for this will be to monitor the weather over the web, and I already have a dedicated weather PC there with internet connection. So any pro\cons agains the station I'm considering? Another point to also consider is that I might buy some more temp\hum sensors to have it in the different buildings so I can monitor the indoor conditions when we close the cabin during the winter. I noticed that the Vantage sensors are also quit a bit more expensive.

Also, any link to a guide on how to create the banners you use with weather information?

Thanks
Sven
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 05:00:22 AM by svjakobs »

Offline Sigdigit

• Forecaster
Re: Vantage Pro2 wireless vs OS WMR200
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 10:02:30 AM »
I too once had a WS rainfall gauge (not part of a system, just the gauge and display, WS-7038U). It also had transmission/receiving problems within a year.  Replacements Lacrosse sent also had problems.  This is why I chose the Davis Vantage Pro2.  The signal is so strong, I have the sensor suite bolted to a fence post in the middle of the back yard and I can move the console anywhere I want within my 2 story house, front or back, and still have an uninterrupted signal.  I recommend purchasing from Ambientweather.com  You can get a low price quote on all Davis merchandise, including additional sensors such as a water temp probe.  I am still waiting for Davis to work the bugs out of their new Weathlink IP software package before I buy to put my data online, also waiting for the price to fall to 200 USD or less (It's 220+ right now at Ambient).  As far as OS systems, all I know is what I have seen regarding comparisons of sensor accuracy, and they seem to have a lot more error range for each reading than Davis instruments.

Offline svjakobs

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 10:40:10 AM »
Good News. I just got a message from my supplier in Norway that becuase of Norwegian law, they will reimburst me for my ws3600 (400$) even if I have had it for more than 1 year.

If I go for the VP2, do I also need the Soil Moisture Station for the water temp probe? (175$) (this is getting expensive)

EDIT: I spoke with Ed at ambient weather, and he suggested using the Davis Instruments 6372 Vantage Pro2 Wireless Temperature Station... - Looks good...

Thanks
Sven
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 04:29:13 PM by svjakobs »

Offline svjakobs

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 05:35:08 PM »
Well, in the end I ordered the VP2+ wireless. I should receive it early next week, but since I live abroad can't install it in my cabin before I go back to Norway for my summer vacation in July. But this should at least give me some time to test it and get a website up and running with "dummy" data. 

I would appriciate if someone could give me some hints on how to create a "weather-banner" I see a lot of you are using as a signature for your forum post. I will try to give an update as the project moves along.

anything