Author Topic: New to weather stations  (Read 3315 times)

Offline Danske

New to weather stations
« on: December 18, 2011, 09:27:08 PM »
I am getting a weather station for Christmas.  Little confused on the brand, looks like weather wise Solar WS 1090 I also see Ambient name on some of the web sites.  Looks like this is entry level model as I do not see much info on it on these forums. 

Any one have one or knowledge of this unit?  Any info or experiences would be appreciated. 

I think I will install this a few feet above the roof and about 1 foot to the side of a small barn in back yard.  It will be about 15 feet above ground level.  My understanding this location will be good for everything but temperature.  Might look at mounting temp sensor remotely??

I would like to transmit my weather info to the Internet. Sounds like unit comes with software to do this.  This is one feature I a really forward to.  I want to access the info from work or while traveling.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
Re: New to weather stations
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 09:37:39 PM »
I am getting a weather station for Christmas.  Little confused on the brand, looks like weather wise Solar WS 1090 I also see Ambient name on some of the web sites.  Looks like this is entry level model as I do not see much info on it on these forums. 

Any one have one or knowledge of this unit?  Any info or experiences would be appreciated. 

I think I will install this a few feet above the roof and about 1 foot to the side of a small barn in back yard.  It will be about 15 feet above ground level.  My understanding this location will be good for everything but temperature.  Might look at mounting temp sensor remotely??

I would like to transmit my weather info to the Internet. Sounds like unit comes with software to do this.  This is one feature I a really forward to.  I want to access the info from work or while traveling.

I can't comment on your type of station, as I have never seen one.  I hope you like it.

I think it's interesting to keep tabs on weather at home while traveling (or at work), too.  I hope you get it set up and transmitting to the web the way you want to.  :D

Here is some good info about sensor placement:

http://home.comcast.net/~dshelms/CWOP_Guide.pdf

Good luck!  :)
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Danske

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 09:58:17 PM »
Thanks Slow Modem, the link says temporary unavailable.  I will check it tomorrow. 

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 10:15:59 PM »
There's also the Nat'l Weather Svc's version. http://www.nws.noaa.gov/os/coop/standard.htm

Offline wmcatty

• Forecaster
    • Heart of Texas Weather
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 10:46:54 PM »
Congratulations on getting a PWS. Pick out the best one that serves your needs, but please do not overlook the Davis Weather Instruments systems...they are top of the line.  Best regards and keep us posted on your system.  Best regards
Davis Wireless Pro2 with Solar Sensor; Weatherlink 5.9.3; VWS; WLIP; CWOP DW8373; Wunderground KTXGATES4; CoCoRaHS=TX-CRL-4

Offline VaJim

• Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
  • Forecaster
    • Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 06:29:17 PM »
....and of course Rainwise...

http://www.rainwise.com/

8-)

anything