Author Topic: What's Your Worst Weather Movie?  (Read 34371 times)

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Re: What's Your Worst Weather Movie?
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2013, 06:43:54 AM »
Watched on Netflix - 500 MPH Storm!!

The science experiment goes haywire creating a super hurricane or "hypercane" that hits a ranking of "F10". Using the fujita scale on a hurricane?  #-o :lol:

That one is due to air on SyFy over here July 4th. It will have to try hard to be worse than 'Super Cyclone' that was just on. Holy cow!!!! It may be "just for entertainment" or whatever but the special effects (or lack of) ruin that even. Driving in a violent storm with tornadic activity and crashing as a result only to kick out a window from their upside down car and climb out into crystal clear weather with blue cloudless skies. Other scenes similar.
On the 1 to 10 scale 'Super Cyclone' has it's place at 0.

Offline Dr Obbins

• Forecaster
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2013, 09:18:29 AM »
With out too many spoilers (wouldn't want to ruin the movie for you  ;)) They are in a car outrunning a tornado that has been chasing them for miles and around city corners and they finally find "safe" shelter in an old abandoned 1950s factory that has walls made of 90% glass windows for lighting.  :roll:

My wife said that this is worse than a "B" movie, she gave it a "D-"

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2013, 09:44:31 AM »

The science experiment goes haywire creating a super hurricane or "hypercane" that hits a ranking of "F10". Using the fujita scale on a hurricane?  #-o :lol:

That one is due to air on SyFy over here July 4th. It will have to try hard to be worse than 'Super Cyclone' that was just on. Holy cow!!!! It may be "just for entertainment" or whatever but the special effects (or lack of) ruin that even. Driving in a violent storm with tornadic activity and crashing as a result only to kick out a window from their upside down car and climb out into crystal clear weather with blue cloudless skies. Other scenes similar.

Sometimes I think that the SyFy programmers look at the day of the week or holiday and think...."gee no one is going to be watching TV at that time....what have got in the junk file so we don't waste good programming ?"

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2013, 04:52:08 AM »

The science experiment goes haywire creating a super hurricane or "hypercane" that hits a ranking of "F10". Using the fujita scale on a hurricane?  #-o :lol:

Well, 500 MPH Storm just aired over here and found it's place wedged in beside Super Cyclone at 0.  #-o

What's with all the weather related failures movies. Now SyFi's previewing "Jet Stream" coming up. Has that one shown already stateside and worth watching?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 05:18:08 AM by DanS »

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2013, 07:15:52 AM »

Sometimes I think that the SyFy programmers look at the day of the week or holiday and think...."gee no one is going to be watching TV at that time....what have got in the junk file so we don't waste good programming ?"

... and anything left over throw over in the SyFi Asia programming. :lol:

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2013, 09:57:00 AM »
"AARDVARK FALLS ON THE ICE"   Definitely the worst one I can remember.
The scene opens with Aardvark going to the hardware store and purchasing 50 pounds of calcium chloride and urea to melt the ice built up in his driveway.  The returns , goes around to the back of his Jeep and falls on a patch of ice, breaking his arm.    The rest of the movie involves a lot of whining,complaining and the like.

Yup the worst movie I have seen

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2013, 02:49:17 PM »
No one nominated "Twister?"

Poor plot, over acted (by professionals who should have told the director how corny the script sounded, and then refused to act), a storm that makes growling dog/bear noises, and worst of all, the cow.  Like she's going to be mooing and audible while hit with winds strong enough to pick her up, and standing in a normal position while whirling about? 

The low budgets can be partially forgiven for the fact they couldn't hire better special effects people, or better actors or whatever.

But a Hollywood studio movie with this lack of quality is pathetic.

ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2013, 03:27:16 PM »
No one nominated "Twister?"

Poor plot, over acted (by professionals who should have told the director how corny the script sounded, and then refused to act), a storm that makes growling dog/bear noises, and worst of all, the cow.  Like she's going to be mooing and audible while hit with winds strong enough to pick her up, and standing in a normal position while whirling about? 

The low budgets can be partially forgiven for the fact they couldn't hire better special effects people, or better actors or whatever.

But a Hollywood studio movie with this lack of quality is pathetic.

Keep in mind the question was "Worst Weather Movie".  While "Twister" was not good, it was at least more entertaining than the others mentioned on here.  Of course, my opinion.  Helen Hunt back then was pretty pleasing to the eyes.
Current setup: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2013, 05:15:37 PM »
Mr. Okie,
You do, indeed, have a point about Ms. Hunt.

And, not having suffered through the others (except the one about the freezing of everything faster than if Liquid Nitrogen had been poured on it) I am a bit limited in my choices for poorest movie.

I do hate it when they really screw up the science, but then again facts keep getting in the way of a good story or movie, and to ask me to do the temporary suspension of disbelief thing, it had better be a fantasy or something that doesn't require water to run uphill or something.

You guys live much more interesting lives than I do.

But reading some of the names gives me a list of movies to skip over the channel showing them when I finally get to hold the remote control.

I guess I can always find an old rerun of The Wild, Wild West somewhere....
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2013, 07:21:10 PM »
I'm currently suffering through this: "Arctic Blast"  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1523267/

I thought it might be good as it has Michael Shanks, the guy who played Daniel Jackson on Stargate SG-1. 

I was wrong.

There's a lot wrong with this move, but one thing I don't get is its title, as the story is set in Tasmania.... so shouldn't it be "Antarctic Blast"?

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2013, 08:42:09 PM »
Even the story description in the link is messed up with that one,

"When a solar eclipse sends a colossal blast of super chilled air towards the earth, it then sets off a catastrophic chain of events that threatens to engulf the world in ice and begin a new Ice Age."

How does anything send a blast of air through the vacuum of space towards the Earth?

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2013, 09:03:37 PM »
I'm currently suffering through this: "Arctic Blast"  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1523267/

I thought it might be good as it has Michael Shanks, the guy who played Daniel Jackson on Stargate SG-1. 

I was wrong.

There's a lot wrong with this move, but one thing I don't get is its title, as the story is set in Tasmania.... so shouldn't it be "Antarctic Blast"?

Did they kill Michael Shanks as many times as they did in SG-1?   :roll:
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2013, 09:06:14 PM »
How does anything send a blast of air through the vacuum of space towards the Earth?

Maybe there was a tear in the time-space continuum.   :shock:
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2013, 09:48:19 PM »

I was wrong.

The only true Daniel Jackson to me will be James Spader.  The series was good, but James Spader would have been better in that role.
Current setup: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2013, 10:11:17 PM »
The only true Daniel Jackson to me will be James Spader.  The series was good, but James Spader would have been better in that role.

I also liked Corin Nemec, but it sure was hard to get the image of him from The Stand out of my head.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2013, 12:13:26 AM »
OK Boys and Girls, we may have a winner.  I just heard about this movie that premiers Thursday at 9:00 pm EDT on SyFi..................Sharknado!

A tornado full of sharks hit Los Angeles.

Here's a story on it.

Can you believe it?
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2013, 12:55:49 AM »
Is it April first already????
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
    • Colorado Springs Weather
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2013, 02:38:12 AM »
OK Boys and Girls, we may have a winner.  I just heard about this movie that premiers Thursday at 9:00 pm EDT on SyFi..................Sharknado!

Here's a story on it.

Can you believe it?

I believe it! Anything to make money.

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2013, 02:46:57 AM »
I just added popcorn to the shopping list so I'll be ready when the day-long Shark-athon makes it here.
What's next, Piranha-nado Disaster? :roll:

Offline Dr Obbins

• Forecaster
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2013, 07:34:31 AM »
Sharknado! -- I think this will be the first time since I ditched Dish in January that I will wish I still had it. Maybe it will hit Netflix.

What's next, Piranha-nado Disaster? Rolling Eyes
Reminds me of one Piranha movie where they grew to the size of VW beetles and attacked Miami. They would pick up speed in the water, jump into the air at the shore line, then explode in a big fireball once they hit a building.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2013, 11:39:16 AM »
SyFi has finally "jumped the shark!!"
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2013, 05:15:27 PM »
"....explode into a big fireball when they hit a building."

Well, don't all giant piranhas do that? Maybe it is just me but that seems completely logical.
No stretch of the imagination here at all.

ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2013, 06:28:18 PM »
On the other hand, here is a clip from my very favorite weather show.

(Hint:  Godless Tornadoes)

« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 11:20:33 PM by SlowModem »
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline mkutche

• Forecaster
    • GosportWx.com
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2013, 07:17:32 PM »

Here's a story on it.

Can you believe it?

it already sounds weird lol!!!
Mike K.
Davis Vantage Vue 6250 - CumulusMX (3.21.1-b3205)
Gosport, Indiana
Gosportwx.com twitter.com/GosportINWX
-----------------------------------------------------------

Offline Dr Obbins

• Forecaster
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2013, 08:29:31 PM »
"....explode into a big fireball when they hit a building."

Well, don't all giant piranhas do that? Maybe it is just me but that seems completely logical.
No stretch of the imagination here at all.
Well here you go!   \:D/
Mega Piranha Trailer
Sharknado Trailer
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 09:57:12 PM by Dr Obbins »